It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Out of Nowhere: Who really chose Palin?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I have been trying to determine who knew that Palin was in the running for republican Vice President nominee, prior to the announcement.

Most republicans I know had never heard of her until the press conference announcing McCain's choice. Yet there are "artifacts" on the web demonstrating that somebody considered her the best choice for the Republicans. This thread is an attempt to find out who those people are.

Check out this site: Palin for VP

It brings up instant questions.
-Can someone use the "whois" function to find out who set this site up?
-Can someone help me find a web archive to see if this site is really as old as March?

And here's an old youtube video that shows that Glenn Beck thought she might be VP back in June:

Palin on Glenn Beck's show

Here she is on Kudlow in June: VP hopefull?

I'm trying to

1. Find the earliest reference to Sarah Palin as a VP nominee.
2. Find out who within the republican party considered her for VP
3. Who in the media first considered her as a real possibility
4. When Rush Limbaugh claimed she was in the running. (a friend says Lush Rainbow first mentioned her in May, but just while reading a list of names; no bio details or anything . . .

I'm doing this because I hope it would shed some light on the behind-the-scenes decision-making of the GOP.

Thanks for your help with this investigation.

Mod Edit: BB Code.

[edit on 12/9/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
off topic but i am just wondering why your italics code didn't work???

that is exactly how i do it. and it works for me...

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Excellent behind-the-scenes question there.

If you look at older ATS-Threads in this Forum you see all kinds of VP Candidates names dropped...but hardly if any mention of Palin.

From obscurity to fame in a day. I look forward to what this thread uncovers.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Excellent behind-the-scenes question there.

If you look at older ATS-Threads in this Forum you see all kinds of VP Candidates names dropped...but hardly if any mention of Palin.

From obscurity to fame in a day. I look forward to what this thread uncovers.

Rush Limbaugh talked about Palin being possibly picked for VP back in Feb 3d.
If the theory in this thread is true then Rush is in on it or has connections inside.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I'm not complaining, but with the old, non-google search engine on ATS, you could search for words IN a post. How can I search for "Palin" as a word in the text of a post??? Can you still do that?

If so, it'd be a great way to discover who posted on ATS first about palin. . .

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Flagged. I'm going to be following this thread closely because I have the same questions: who, what, why, huh. It almost seemed like we were side swiped with the announcement-- honestly the first time I ever heard her name was when she was announced as the VP running mate.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

Your Palin for VP link seems to go to the wrong place.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
Check out this site: Palin for VP

It brings up instant questions.
-Can someone use the "whois" function to find out who set this site up?
-Can someone help me find a web archive to see if this site is really as old as March?

Your link takes me to a survey but I remember seeing an interview with the college kid who started that website in 2007 if I remember correctly.

He chose Palin because of her relative newness and the record she had while being mayor, he said that Palin had just become governor.

There was more to it, but it was a lucky thing I guess, the guy said that he was still in shock. The interview was the day after the announcement.

I will do a quick check and see if I can find a clip of the interview. extra DIV

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alora
Flagged. I'm going to be following this thread closely because I have the same questions: who, what, why, huh. It almost seemed like we were side swiped with the announcement-- honestly the first time I ever heard her name was when she was announced as the VP running mate.

democrats were side swiped. not conservatives.
if you listen to Rush religiously as I do, you would have known about her back in February 3d of this year.
but nobody paid her any attention back then (except Glenn Beck).

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
haven't found a video clip but I did find an article with the story of the College Sophomore who picked Palin:

www.slate.com

According to both the Aug. 29 Anchorage Daily News and the June 13 Colorado Springs Gazette, Sarah Palin became John McCain's vice presidential candidate largely through the machinations of someone even younger and less experienced than herself. From the Anchorage Daily News:

The hype can probably be traced to the Web site of a 21-year-old college senior* majoring in political science at the University of Colorado in Colorado Springs. Adam Brickley, a political buff who will graduate in May, started a "Draft Sarah Palin for Vice President" blog last year and has relentlessly promoted the idea ever since.

Hope this helps in your quest for the truth

ed:tags

[edit on 9/12/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

I'm not complaining, but with the old, non-google search engine on ATS, you could search for words IN a post. How can I search for "Palin" as a word in the text of a post??? Can you still do that?

If so, it'd be a great way to discover who posted on ATS first about palin. . .

I know its not ideal, but try this one:

1. Click on Search
2. Go to "Search Thread Titles"
3. Type in "VP" or "Vice President" or similar
4. Forum "Decision2008"

...and see what comes up.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Here is an in-depth story of Palin's ascent from beauty queen to VP candidate. It was originally written in 2006. I think it started a lot longer ago than May.

Even Wikipedia says she was being "groomed" for bigger things.

CHOSEN ONE

Palin's rise came as the Valley's politics were changing sharply from Democratic to Republican.
The national Republican Party was encouraging local party officials to groom a new generation of candidates, officials say. Palin was an obvious selection, say local party officials Roy and June Burkhart of Willow. Roy is head of the District 15 party, while June sits on the state party's executive board.

"Not only that, we've got some in the bullpen. You'll be hearing about them, too," Roy Burkhart said recently.

In Palin's last year as mayor, she headed straight to her next race, entering the 2002 Republican primary for lieutenant governor. The winner was going to run at the side of Frank Murkowski.

"She thought it would be a very good opportunity to be mentored," said Babcock, who is now manager of government affairs for Matanuska Electric Association and a close Palin confidant. "She had a lot of confidence she was going to win that race."

There are some names in that article.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
im guessing it's been mentioned already, but if not:

palinforvp.blogspot.com...

apparently she was brought into the limelight because of an independent blogger. This link has a video with Stephen Colbert going over the details.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I don't remember the ladies name but she went off on the Dems when they didn't pick Hillary and started up a protest group who John McCain met with a few months ago.

This lady mentioned that when McCain was talking to them, he discussed Palin as a possible VP pick and told them all about her. Supposedly this group of Hillary supporters were very excited about the possibility of McCain chosing Palin and told him so.

Jemison

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Here's the Pro-palin site I had in mind: Sarah Palin for Vice President

And if the RNC is letting individual college students pick national office-seekers, then the parties are a heckuva lot more responsive than they seem . . .

PRESS: Where'd you find you're VP, McCain?
MCCAIN: I found her on ebay, dude.

College bloggers, acting alone, choosing the candidates sounds like even more of a conspiracy than if a handful of really old, rich white guys are making all the decisions in a smoke-filled boardroom somewhere.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Some speculation:

www.ruthgroup.org...

Last week, while the media focused almost obsessively on the DNC’s spectacle in Denver, the country’s most influential conservatives met quietly at a hotel in downtown Minneapolis to get to know Sarah Palin. The assembled were members of the Council for National Policy, an ultra-secretive cabal that networks wealthy right-wing donors together with top conservative operatives to plan long-term movement strategy.

CNP members have included Tony Perkins, James Dobson, Grover Norquist, Tim LaHaye and Paul Weyrich. At a secret 2000 meeting of the CNP, George W. Bush promised to nominate only pro-life judges; in 2004, then-Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist told the group, “The destiny of the nation is on the shoulders of the conservative movement.” This year, thanks to Sarah Palin’s selection, the movement may have finally aligned itself behind the campaign of John McCain…

The members of the Council for National Policy are the hidden hand behind McCain’s Palin pick. With her selection, the Republican nominee is suddenly — and unexpectedly — assured of the support of a movement that once opposed his candidacy with all its might. Case in point: while Dobson once said he could “never” vote for McCain, he issued a statement last week hailing Palin as an “outstanding” choice. If Dobson’s enthusiasm for Palin is any indication, he may soon emerge from his bunker in Colorado Springs to endorse McCain, providing the Republican nominee with the grassroots support of the Christian right’s single most influential figure.

hotair.com...

tpzoo.wordpress.com...

Elections are driven by money and emotion - most of which is derived from the base. In this case, evangelicals and/or the ultra-right wing of the GOP. You know, the "values voters".

She covers all of the bases. The fact that she kept her special needs baby and her daughter is pregnant and keeping her baby as well makes her a hero to them. Additionally, the fact that she's a gun-toting, moose-hunting rural babe makes her a goddess to the the rest of the right.

The GOP has to pull out all of the stops because nothing less than control of the SCOTUS is at stake - they had to bring home the base. It was never about tapping the Hillary vote.

[edit on 12/9/2008 by kosmicjack]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Thanks for that!

I'll take my search in that direction. The questions that come to mind are

-who's on the CNP now?
-who picks the members?
-the article implies that Dobson is no longer a member; why not?

Also, I wonder if the week before nomination isn't pretty late in the game. If this was the first the CNP heard of Palin, then she'd already been cleared earlier, by someone . . . else.

Again, thanks.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
One of the better early references I've found has been a CSPAN interview with Palin from February 24th where she is specifically asked about serving as McCain's VP (apparently, this question was prompted by an AP article mentioning her as a possibility, according to the interviewer). It is at the very end of the clip.

Video

Additionally (and I really hate to link my own old post), but I had been hearing about Sarah Palin as a darkhorse possibility for several months prior to her selection. I make mention of this in a thread from June 1st:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 12-9-2008 by vor78]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
The GOP had plans for her well before August. She was considered for the open Senate seat of then Gov. Frank Murkowski back in 2002. Those portraying her as a total unknown are inaccurate as evidenced by the Glen Beck and Rush comments others have posted as well. She was already on the horizon as a possible rising star in the GOP when she defeated the incumbent Gov. Murkowski in the Rep. Gubernatorial primary.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Yep. She may not have been well known outside of conservative circles, but within, she and Bobby Jindal are widely considered the two best young national prospects the GOP has. She was very much considered a rising star in the Republican ranks for quite some time prior to her selection as McCain's VP.

[edit on 12-9-2008 by vor78]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join