It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can a real Lightsaber be Made?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Hello everyone, I was just wondering if a real Lightsaber can be made with the technology we have today? If it is, please post a reply, even if it isn't, share your thoughts cause I really want to know, thanks, and I hope I get a lot of posts.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
No and it never could be made even in the future it breaks the laws of physics.

Of course people are bound to come on here and disagree with me but rest assured they are wrong.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Its not possible to make a laser sword because there is no way to stop the beam at the end. It would continue on until it defuses.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
yeah lightsabres are made entirely of light so theres your first problem. its impossible to make a solid thing out of that; it wouldnt cut or slice, it would simply just go through everthing as if nothing was there.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
To try and say its impossible and could never be done ever, is merely some bizarre attempt to show the world you are a complete and utter moron without 1 spare brain cell.
Of course it could be possible.Anything is possible.100 years 1000 years whatever.
But the question is why would you want it?
You could make far more advanced laser devices if the technology progressed that far.You wouldn't concentrate on making silly things like that.
The light saber in movies is more for theatrical effect not practicality.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Yes, If you learn to control the force young one. Then you can bend the light...bend the light...

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Interestinggg

Actually from what we know of light it is not possible, and the OP asked if it could be made with today’s technology. There are cutting and burning lasers, but they act nothing like a lightsabre. The lightsabres in the movies act as though they are solid objects that can hit each other like a steel sword, nowhere in the observable universe do we see light act in such a manner.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Oh i saw this one star wars science on science channel. And they said you cant make a light saber the closest we will be abled to come to it it a plasma torch it will cut thru anything. but would never work to blpck lasers or anything for that matter.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Could I interest you perhaps in a Variable Sword?

A monomolecular fiber, held rigid in a Slaver stasis field. The field protects the wire and holds it impossibly rigid, allowing it to cleanly slice through any known material (except a General Products hull, don't even think about trying it!).

The length of the the blade can be adjusted at will by turning this knob on the handle.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
reply to post by Interestinggg

Actually from what we know of light it is not possible, and the OP asked if it could be made with today’s technology. There are cutting and burning lasers, but they act nothing like a lightsabre. The lightsabres in the movies act as though they are solid objects that can hit each other like a steel sword, nowhere in the observable universe do we see light act in such a manner.

However other persons replied with no it couldnt be made now or ever.
That is what I found ignorant.
To say something is impossible is stupidity and ignorance.
So the company who today with todays current technology that makes those specific defense lasers to shoot down missiles mortars artillery etc.
Isn't harnessing the power of light?
Whats stopping the laser heat going past the object and diffusing into the atmosphere?
After all they are placing the laser light heat in a certain place at a certain time and using its heat to destroy an object are they not?
To say we could never control light and use its heat in this manner, to make something such as a light saber.
Similar to having different channels inside it, that are in a constant loop and are controlled, I think is ignorant.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
You'd need a micro-singularity in the handle to stop the light from extending until diffusion.

The beam would appear to be hollow as it would be folded back onto itself and pulled into the singularity.

Basically, it ain't happening anytime soon....unless it already has, in which case we will never find out that happened because it was made in a Military Lab somewhere.

[edit on 12-9-2008 by TruthTellist]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
A light saber per se is not possible, as has been stated, because a light saber seems to essentially be a very high powered laser which inexplicably terminates after only a few feet.

A weapon based on light could neither parry nor terminate at short range like that.

Lightsabers act more like plasma sabers, in that the magnetic field that would be required to contain a "plasma blade" could repel other similar blades (yet in theory would be limited in its ability to pass through other barriers only by the pressure necessary to compress the plasma into the smaller space allowed by the intruding object).

But that's just a thought for giggles, because it doesn't explain how one would project a cylindrical magnetic field to contain a "plasma blade" from a hand-held device, nor how it could be turned off and on without having to reload and reignite somehow. Not to mention that a magnetic field won't prevent heat from radiating, and so it would be a rather uncomfortable weapon to use.

Bottom line, starwars is not true science fiction. The "science", if I may appropriate that term quite liberally, is mere setting. Starwars is a western. That's why it's full of gunslingers, swordsmen, bounty hunters, native warriors, rebel soldiers, and god strike me dead if Chewacca isn't a run away slave according to the Official Guide To The Star Wars Universe- look it up.

We'd have as much luck finding advanced technology in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Interestinggg
Whats stopping the laser heat going past the object and diffusing into the atmosphere?

The object it’s hitting…
If the beam stays on after the object is destroyed, or if it is aimed at nothing it will 1)continue into space if powerful enough or 2)continue until the atmosphere defuses the light to such a degree that it is no longer harmful.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The lightsaber is not a laser, it is in fact a thin wire extended from a spool in the handle and held rigid by a forcefield.
The force field is what is to be doing the cutting.

No there is no way to build a lightsaber with todays technology.
The first hurdle needed to be cleared would be a power source that would be small enough to fit in a flashlight sized space.
Then you need to be able to generate a force field. Thats still a long way off.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5

The object it’s hitting…
If the beam stays on after the object is destroyed, or if it is aimed at nothing it will 1)continue into space if powerful enough or 2)continue until the atmosphere defuses the light to such a degree that it is no longer harmful.

But they constantly miss it before they actually hit it.
So one must think its the constant supply of energy to the laser itself that allows it to produce that heat again once it does eventually hit.
Also perhaps the way its pulsed on and off.
And they can currently capture and loop laser light in the lab.
Direct it steer it and control it on a small scale.
There is many experiments been done on this.
Of course its not developed enough and small enough to make a light saber.
But I believe the technology does exist.
And if some moron wanted to spend a few hundred billion dollars im sure they could come up with some improvised kind of light saber.
Something that works similar, chops off an arm, but probably wouldn't look as flashy.
Although there would probably be some risk of it exploding in your face.

[edit on 12-9-2008 by Interestinggg]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Just to inject my one and a half cents into this, because I like Star Wars...

While I don't think the lightsaber could be made using today's technology, you really can't say for certain whether or not it could be possible in the future. I'm sure there might be a scientist or three that is trying to make one as a secret side project somewhere...

If you haven't ready the wookiepedia entry on lightsabers yet, you really should. It gives an idea of the "history" of the lightsaber in the Star Wars universe and with that you can brainstorm ways of how they might work in real life. Sure it's all made up, but still, Jules Verne and H.G. Wells had made up stories that had parts come to the real world...

As for the practicalities of a lightsaber.... who cares? It would be cool to have one. Even in Star Wars they started out as ceremonial and to become proficient at using it was just a way to show your focus in the Force.

Wookieepedia Lightsaber Entry

There is a part in here about the "modern" power source for it though... It does seem like it would have to utilize perpetual energy somehow.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   

But they constantly miss it before they actually hit it.
So one must think its the constant supply of energy to the laser itself that allows it to produce that heat again once it does eventually hit.

You’re losing me here, I am not sure what you mean?
Heat is a bi-product of the laser, any time the laser is on, it generates heat. Light from a laser is energy, and energy is also given off in the form of the heat it generates.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
When I was younger I thought about this very possibility. Apparently the lightsaber is light that has been focused through a specific crystal (I forget the name) and ejected out one end of the handle where it projects a few feet, bends around on itself and returns to the point of origin.

Now the only problems I see with this are:

1. Light cannot bend around on itself (yet!)

2. The power requirements outweigh the size.

Now the power is relatively easy to resolve compared to bending light. If one could come up with a way to bend the light around on itself (ie: massive gravitational force etc) then we could quite possibly make a lightsaber.

[edit on 12/9/2008 by Kryties]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Actually, I rather differ form many of the posters here in that while
light itself would make for a poor sabre "Material", it is
ENTIRELY POSSIBLE to wrap a glowing & high-temperature plasma
within a toroidal-shaped confining magnetic field that WOULD allow
a lightsabre-like effect.

In fact at higher energy-densities, a confined plasma would EASILY
slice through almost ANY material and the magnetic field WOULD
act as a defence against another "Lightsabre" that uses the
same confined plasma configuration.

We have this technology TODAY in a Tokamak reactor

en.wikipedia.org...

We just need a sufficient POWER source in a small enough configuration...

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Many modern consepts of UFO techonolgy are based upon vibration of solds into light.

If in fact ufos can travel through space and maybe dementions by vibrating their mass into light waves, then how much more unrealistic that one would be able to vibrate down light into a mass?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join