It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Alien-Looking Place on Earth

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   

from the Flickr link:

The Tablelands are what got Gros Morne its UNESCO status. These rocks were formed in the earth's mantle below an ancient sea bed. They've been above sea level for 470 million years, now. The rocks are chock full of iron (hence the colour) and magnesium and so they're not too hospitable to plants.

-------

The Tablelands remind me personally of those glorious martian vistas we've been seeing from the rovers. They're about a hour drive from my house, and I definitely plan to head out that way for a hike, it'll be like exploring mars. A truly beautiful and unique place.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Great thread wish I had some to add!

There are some really interesting things out there just on our planet; look at the environments in which some of these unique plants can survive.

Can't wait to see more of these pics, and am REALLY looking forward to seeing some pictures of landscapes and life on different planets!

S and F!

edit to add just being optimistic about some kind of future disclosure, I should think we'll have something like that in my lifetime. I think we can all agree there must be some crazy things like these and even crazier on different planets.

[edit on 12-9-2008 by jmilla]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Nubia - most mysterious and beautiful

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
and china is off the hook...

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Well, looks like I found a place to go for pictures to practice my painting with!

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggystar60
Thanks for sharing these images with us.

I find these trees just amazing. They look like giant mushrooms!

I dunno, maybe just me but I get the urge to climb it and maybe build a small fort inside.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Dont forget to see the Earth...from above...heres one from NASA

Bogda Mountains
The Turpan Depression, nestled at the foot of China’s Bogda Mountains, is a strange mix of salt lakes and sand dunes. It is one of the few landscapes in the world that lies below sea level.

This image was acquired by Landsat 7’s Enhanced Thematic Mapper plus (ETM+) sensor.

Image Credit: NASA/USGS

[edit on 12/9/08 by TrailGator]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I don't know if this fits the bill or not but i'd rather not say where it is. The pictures in this thread are completely amazing. Those plants in the OP are incredibly beautiful and interesting. Fun thread. Wish I had my Badlands, SD, Yellowstone or Craters of the Moon NP photos scanned in. Death Valley is probably the most alien spot I've been to so far.

[edit on 9/12/08 by stikkinikki]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   

This is from a strange "land", the Okefenokee Swamp, in southeast Georgia, and not far from my home in northeast Florida.

Can you see whats looking at you, in the photo?

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
This place in Ireland is pretty unbelievable. I can't understand how a volcanic eruption actually creates pillars like this, but it apparently does.

slorker.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
This is a really great thread.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Desert Dawg

Great info! Thanks Desert Dawg.

I'd love to check out these areas.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Is that real? It looks like one of those pictures by this artist. Amazing.

Edit: ah yes 3d, probaby inspired by the artist which I have forgotten the name.

[edit on 12-9-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   

The same piece of sky where I saw a giant fireball about two weeks before.

[edit on 13-9-2008 by undermind]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Super cool thread. I enjoyed every single pic in here. Just looking at the originl post made me wonder what kinds of strange little bugs and critters inhabit those odd plantscapes. Starred and flagged. Finally a thread I would really love to see grow. Wish I had something cool to add to it too.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by no name needed

Invasion of the body snatchers............excellent picture.

Thank you for sharing really added a lot to ATS Site. Starred and flagged.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggystar60
I am taking you up on that offer, and post an image of the fantastic Giant's Causeway in Ireland. It’s an area made up of 40,000 interlocking basalt columns. The steps are the result of an ancient volcanic eruption.

More photos of these wonderful formations here:

slorker.com...

These remind me of the steps in Star Trek The Movie. I wonder if they got the idea from these steps in Ireland?

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Can someone find a picture of that strange place that is made up entirely of human skulls? I can't even remember where I read it, but I remember the pictures being totally bizarre! Has anyone else heard of this place?

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alienmojo
Can someone find a picture of that strange place that is made up entirely of human skulls? I can't even remember where I read it, but I remember the pictures being totally bizarre! Has anyone else heard of this place?

There is a church with catcombsa underneath in europe somewhere like that, is that what you are talking about?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join