It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio Mom Gets LIFE W/O PAROLE for Murdering Infant in Microwave

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Ohio Woman Gets Life for Murdering Infant in Microwave

hosted.ap.org

DAYTON, Ohio (AP) -- A woman was sentenced Monday to life in prison without the chance for parole for burning her baby daughter to death in a microwave after fighting with her boyfriend. Common Pleas Judge Mary Wiseman lashed out at 28-year-old China Arnold, who opted to watch her sentencing from a side room on a monitor.

"No adjectives exist to adequately describe this heinous atrocity," Wiseman said. "This act is shocking and utterly abhorrent for a civilized society."

The judge rejected a plea by Arnold's attorneys for a minimum sentence of life in prison with the chance of parole after 25 years. A jury last week spared Arnold the death penalty when it couldn't reach a consensus.

"I am innocent of these charges," Arnold said in a statement read by her attorney, Jon Paul Rion.

Arnold was convicted Aug. 29 of aggravated murder in the death of month-old Paris Talley in 2005. Prosecutors said she intentionally put her baby in the microwave after a fight with her boyfriend. The couple had argued over whether the boyfriend was the biological father.

It was Arnold's second trial. Her first ended in a mistrial when new witnesses surfaced.

Rion has asked for a third trial, saying a former cellmate who said Arnold confessed has now changed her story. Rion said he's also found additional witnesses who point to someone else being responsible for killing the baby.

The judge hasn't ruled on the motion for a new trial.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.daytondailynews .com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Prosecutor: Ohio mother put baby girl in microwave

[edit on 9.8.2008 by ItsTheQuestion]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Another American tragedy, with the most savage under-tones...

Even in these often-savage times, this latest horror-story off the wire defies anything remotely human.

School shootings, beheadings, even 12-year olds talking/acting/fighting/screwing like they're 24...but this is even beyond these increasingly-common occurrences.

I accept Judge Mary Wiseman's decision here. This woman will be eaten alive, no pun intended, with other women in the prison system. Certain crimes are unacceptable, even by prisoners' standards...and this would be at the top of the list. Or, should I say, at the bottom.

The bigger question here, of course, is
WHAT IS HAPPENING IN OUR SOCIETY??!!
Ugh... And, I hate to say, it doesn't seem to be getting any better, does it?

I hope I'm wrong.

hosted.ap.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9.8.2008 by ItsTheQuestion]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
"This act is shocking and utterly abhorrent for a civilized society."

The act would register the same in an uncivilized society. She doesnt stand a chance in prison, and I cant say I am sorry for her.

To the OP, you are right. It seems to be getting alot worse out there. Maybe its always been there and we just didnt know about it without the instant media we have today, but something is definately wrong. Our society is tearing apart, and I dont know why. But whenever you have people burning their own children alive in their kitchen, somethings gotta change.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsTheQuestion

there seems to be nevr ending stream of
vile actions coming from the US,
every week or even few days there is a topic on how some
fudged up person has killed their child/sibling in a brutal way

and yet some people say others are savages and live in a backword state
when this happens daily in their backyard

this woman should be tortured for life
the pain the child must have gone through before her death must of been very painfull,

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Agree with everyone in this thread.
The act of putting a defenseless human being in a microwave is beyond sickening.
I don't know what the Ohio laws are Re: Death Penalty. But I am glad she did not get it - as life w/o parole is a much more fitting punishment. She will have to think about her actions every minute/second of everyday for the rest of her life.
I have no sympathy for people like this, and again am glad she didn't get off easy by getting the DP.
What is our world coming to?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I think these situations have always been here. Maybe not as common place as they seem now...but they've been here. There was a woman back in the 40's near my home that buried her child alive in a suitcase full of cement. There are soooo many god-awful disgusting stories out there..too many to list.

I don't know if it's the inundation of media...every channel and newspaper you pick up reruns the story so you're constantly hearing about it.

This woman deserved the death penalty if she was guilty..however as another poster said, she won't survive very long in the prison system once the other inmates get a hold of her...

Hopefully that baby is in a better place as it's obvious the child would've lived a horrific life with a parent capable of such utter violence.

Michelle

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
this is one of the most heinous crimes a human can commit but it is not just in the states that this kind of thing happens, just that the american media floods the airwaves with the story.

Here in the uk such crimes have been commited. Just that it isnt as widely reported as the american media. it is wrong to say Here is another example of american violence. It is something that happens everywhere, its just that we dont hear about it.

This woman will get all that she deserves and more. i am all for an eye fo an eye.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
As a citizen and denizen of the great state of Ohio I am absolutely appauled and disgusted....

May her soul burn in whatever hell that possibly exists in the after life. May she be tortured and battered a million deaths that that baby felt.

God I'm fkn disgusted!

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Michelle129

Perhaps you're right, in that these abominations of human behavior have, in fact, always happened. After all, the media exposure nowadays is far beyond anything in our history. Your point may be the most rational and pragmatic summary of "what's going on" in our world.

Nevertheless, intuitively, I cannot shake the feeling that western [or just global]-civilization is purposefully being flushed down the toilet.

Do I "blame society"? To the extent that we're ALL products of our environment, yes. Where did this woman's moral compass go? Where is her soul? How could she even make that choice?

I encounter people every single day, living in the 9th-largest "Urban Area" in the United States. So I cross paths with all shapes, sizes, colors, creeds, persuasions, etc. And one thing I've noticed, even in this toughest of towns, is how increasingly negative people are out there. Mind you, this is the Rust Belt; no Southern Hospitality here! That said, I am admittedly taken aback on a daily basis by just how rude, narcissistic, and borderline-sociopathic so many people can be. And it is getting worse. Which is saying something around these parts...

This thread tells of the "Natural Life"[i.e. life w/o parole] sentence given an American woman for, pardon the phrase, microwaving her child. Now, I'm no mother. Never will be.
But I have one. And I recognize how the bond between mother and child is without parallel.

I also recognize that our society breeds rudeness, narcissism, and sociopathology. Why? Ask your congressman; his/her corporate pimp will direct him/her how to spin it for you.

And stories of depravity, such as that of this China Arnold, while stoking the rawest of emotions in all of us, will only continue to show up, more and more, in our news.

Another dark day for these United States of America.

Next time you have the opportunity, give your mom or your child a hug. And don't forget dad, either.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
That is quite possibly the most chilling thing i have ever read...

What is this world coming to?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I couldn't believe this. People can be so nasty. Why the microwave? That I don't get. To use the microwave, sick, sick people.

I cannot understand the ability to hurt children. There is nothing more precious. I have a little angel, and I could not allow any harm befall her. I hope one day we reach a point where we can screen such behavioural tendencies, identify the causes of such actions and remove them from society all together.

Violence in itself is not a bad thing, it is how it is used, the reason behind it.

And to those who say they hope she gets what she deserves in prison, she won't. No legal, human rights-everywhere-when-some-people-don't-deserve-them-prison could possibly exist in this crazy world. She will never get what she deserves because in order to carry that out our world would have to be a very different place.
[edit on 8-9-2008 by Sendran]

[edit on 8-9-2008 by Sendran]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I cannot blame anyone for feeling such outrage. But don't waste too much of your precious time and energy toward condemning this obviously lost, sick soul. There is NO QUESTION that she will suffer, mightily, in prison for her abhorrent crime. And as far as hell, well, I believe that the Almighty will sort that out.

Instead, ask yourself if you, too, see society's daily decay.

This is not a question of politics. I know many so-called "conservatives" with hearts the size of heaven. And I know just as many "liberals" who cannot stomach the obvious onslaught of corruptible images we're fed throughout all of our media.

This is a deeper question, far beyond the petty superficialities of politics.

Ask why this is happening. And what can you do about it? After all, we Americans are all citizens, and whether through governmental or private means, we all are obliged to not only admit that we share the problems, but also that we are all equally accountable to come up with the solutions.

Or, do you believe that some corporation or bureaucracy [if there's even a difference] can do it for you? Believe me, they'll gladly take your money in exchange for convincing you how they will make your life better.

Excuse me for going off a bit here, but I'm sure that some of you will understand exactly what I'm getting at here.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
How did the jury not sentence her to death? she killed an innocent baby by frying it inside out in a microwave. she would have heard the screams and seen the pain of the child and she still has the nerve to say it wasnt her fault? please spare us. just another example of the US at its best. the fact she is applying for another re-trail is rediculas. im supprised the lawyer has tried to get her into a mental home for being crazy. i hope she gets what she deserves in prison!!

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Supe04

Her treatment, both from staff, and moreso, from fellow inmates, will be be a lot like what her infant endured, except it'll be stretched out over many, many years.

It is curious that the jury didn't give her the death sentence; especially in a state like Ohio.

Legally, she does have the right to appeal. If you support the court's right to try, convict, and execute, then you must support the defendant's rights as well. We have a Constitution, remember.

That said, know that this woman's life will have NO liberty and NO happiness. Far from it. As it should be.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
i respect her right to appeal, but i think the reasons she is giving to appeal are not worthy. i mean a fellow prisoner changing her story and additional witness who piont to someone else doing the killing. why not bring them forward in the first case? were they saving these witnesses for a rainy day? and who would witness what she did and not try and stop it? maybe they also need to be on trial!!!

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
im not having a go at you ItsTheQuestion, i know it probably reads that way.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsTheQuestion
reply to post by Supe04

Her treatment, both from staff, and moreso, from fellow inmates, will be be a lot like what her infant endured, except it'll be stretched out over many, many years.

How can you compare the two? Impossible. I don't want to go into descriptions, but you are way off. There is no punishment for this person. I noticed you believe in God, well, that's great for you, but if he doesn't exist, then she gets away pretty lightly in my book. If there is a god, then this needn't have happened.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I don't intend to get into a theological debate here.

I was merely attempting to remind those calling for her head that she will suffer mightily in prison. For as long as she manages to survive. Again, as it should be.

I would not deign to "compare" what the poor infant went through in terms of whether it'll be "better" or "worse" than what the convicted mother will go through. My previous post may have looked like that; my mistake.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
i hope the other inmates make her suffer a long and painful life in there, if i read in the papers in a few months she assed away whilest in jail i will be very upset, because she deserves a life time of hell

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I say this is a waste of taxpayers' money. We have to feed, cloth, and house this thing for the rest of its life?

Put THIS idiot in a microwave and see how she cooks!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join