It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live coverage of LHC switch on

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by skjalddis

The collider is currently undergoing commissioning while being cooled down to its final operating temperature of approximately 1.9 K (−271.25 °C). Initial particle beam injections were successfully carried out on 8-11 August 2008,[2][3] the first attempt to circulate a beam through the entire LHC is scheduled for 10 September 2008,[4] at 7:30 GMT and the first high-energy collisions are planned to take place after the LHC is officially unveiled, on 21 October 2008.[5]

i think we'll be ok for at least a month.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Cern Webcast

Cern have a live webcast and satellite tv at the link

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by stander

Only a mental monster would misallocate such a huge sum of money for building and operating the collider at the expense of research in genetics and related fields.

It's not that great a sum of money and the cost is split amongst a number of nations.

Is there any evidence to say that funds have been diverted from other fields?

Oh and, cheers for the link Pazcat.

[edit on 9-9-2008 by Sendran]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Hi There,

TheRooster:

I have asked this in 2 other threads without reply. How can the search for the Higgs boson justify a six billion dollar expense? That sure is a lot of money...

Seeing as how you live in a country whose government spend trillions of dollars on a static and dynamic infrastructure whose ultimate act (if used as intended) is to administer death and destruction, I perceive your question to be somewhat vacuous and audacious. The LHC will provide knowledge to the whole world, about the world, and provide a deeper understanding as to the mechanics of existence and existing (although not necessarily an understanding of purpose...if there is one). The cost of the LHC is a mere pittance when placed alonside the yearly-bill that America spends on defence and so-called national security. When placed in this context, your question really does become redundant.

Over 13 billion years ago, an event occurred which from the point of our contemporary perspective, exploded existence into 'being'. In the interim between that super-ignition and the relative moment of your asking your question, elementary entities (particles, i.e., condensations of energy) cooled their way into relatively stable relations with each other, creating all that we see in the 'observable' universe. Somewhat small and relative to that history, a small segment of that time saw life emerge on a unspectacular but beautiful blue orb spinning about amongst a cluster of other planets. That life diversified into many forms and structures about the orb's surface, and in that process one particular life form developed attributes that allowed it to eventually dominate the planet, not by strength, but by using evolved intelligence, by which it built extensions of its form in the guise of machines. One of those evolved intelligences, looked at the costs of one particular machine, and thought..."Hang on a minute, can this be justified?" Thereby missing the whole point of its own existence, of the evolution and development of its specie's intelligence...which is to ask why and wherefore and how? The other alternative being not to seek knowledge, but to do its best to bomb itself out of an existence rare and precious. The cost is certainly justified.

Astyanax:

What can be more important to us, as a species, than finding out the truth about the world we live in? What higher purpose can there possibly be for humankind?

Perhaps finding a way for said species to live and abide together in peace and in good caretakership of the planet we call home. That to me seems to be the more compelling purpose than to seek knowledge in a human-world racked with war, death and destruction.

I look forward to the 'switch on' of the LHC, and to the understandings it may afford us, but I wish more for our species to gain better understandings of the diverse and disparate cultures of which it is composed, and through such understandings deliver unto itself a hope and a comfort equally shared. I do not consider that too much to ask for. The cost of not doing so far outweighs the cost of doing so.

Best wishes

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Just wondering that when we watch the test, or more to the point later on when its fully functional are we going to get a real image of the collision or just a picture of the housing and some graphics of the results later on.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Just been reading the Metro newspaper, it's free on public transport in the UK, and they've got a 2 cracking quotes:
www.metro.co.uk...

"Prof Stephen Hawking revealed he bet £50 that God's Paritcle would elude even the LHC"

and from Prof Brian Cox who works on the project:

"Anyone who thinks the LHC will destroy the world is a t**t."
Fill in the stars yourself!

[edit on 10-9-2008 by Sendran]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Just lost my digital signal. DId they turn on the LHC?

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TamtammyMacx

Yes they did, a successful start up.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
/6cdmzq

Open this as a network stream it seems to be live right now.
But then again I cant count when it comes to time so it could be a replay.
It wont let me post the link its direct link.

[edit on 10-9-2008 by Interestinggg]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
its still running live on the cern cast
at least it seems to be live

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Well, 20:00 and all's well.

Let's see what happens after October.

Recreating the Big Bang, Virgin Galactic, Bugatti Veyron, a great time to live.

The future's here people.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join