It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video shows Georgian troops shooting at civilians

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Interestinggg
So after watching this a little clearer I can say it really shows nothing about who it is

The language is clearly Georgian, and so is the accent. I can ascertain this 100%, having heard the language many many times.

where it is

This is Tskhinvali - the only city in S Ossetia that has so many large apartment buildings.

and who they are shooting at.

Well the video makes it obvious that they are shooting at everything. This coincides with many of the reports - that Georgian tanks are firing directly at the civilians building in the city when they started moving in on August 8th.

How can we even be sure its in Georgia?

Lets see - Georgian languare, Georgian accent, Soviet amor, and what looks a lot like Tskhinvali.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Please keep personal vitriol out of threads.

But to respond to your gripe, it is my understanding that Georgia started that war when they decided to indiscriminately shell a city, and then send troops in to instill fear into the South Ossetian population for daring to wish to live the way they choose. It was a disproportionate response by the Georgians, which is the reason Russia cited for the invasion, which in my opinion was founded considering the Georgian leadership were promoting the use of unnecessary force, and are the same people that ordered a criminal move such as unleashing a military force on civilian populations.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by wytworm
To me this could be Russian troops firing at Georgian buildings and recording it for propaganda purposes.

Russians don't speak Georgian, and do not have a Georgian accent.

Unless someone hired some Georgian actors and had them riding around in tanks shooting some abandoned building I would say these are Georgian troops.

Originally posted by wytworm
Also, anyone who thinks that russian troops would behave differently is fooling themselves. This is how it is on all sides.

I have yet to meet any Russian citizens or anyone who has served in the Russian army, who knows Georgian and has a Georgian accent. Georgians who live in Russia do not need to serve in the Russian army (they are not drafted).

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I'd remind you to calm down, but I'm pretty aggravated myself, so it would be rather hypocritical of me.

One poster mentioned "Is this the best proof the Russians can come up with?"

... uh, no. We already watched the videos from the western media of Georgia SHELLING A CIVILIAN CITY FOR HOURS!

It was after that the media started to pick their sides, and the western media stopped playing the shelling of Tshkinvali, and pretty much ignored it ever happened.

So basically, if you missed it, you weren't paying attention at the start of the conflict.

This little video of a Georgian soldier (Yes Georgian, I have many friends who are from the general region, and I can differentiate their languages. If you can't, well then... travel more. lol) using what appears to be a 50 cal. on civilian apartments and homes is just yet another video to tack onto the list.

I've even seen two, yes TWO, interviews with Americans who happened to be IN Tshkinvali when it was shelled... they (Your fellow Americans) confirm everything the Russians have been saying about what started the war.

"But oh no! They can't be right! They're talking about the evil Ruskies, my grandpa said they were bad people... they can't be doing good things... this hurts my brain."
lol... this is about the only argument I've seen from the disbelievers of events.

Just because your benevolent dictator hasn't declared Georgia to be the aggressor, doesn't mean he's right. The guys a moron... and you're trusting him over eye witness reports and video footage?!

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Anyone want to see more proof, and want to see what Tskhinvali looks like after the Georgian blitz - take a look at the documentary in the following forum:

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

As for people referring to footage of Russian soldiers looting - much of the footage actually shows S Ossetian militia. Most of Russian troops stayed in organized contingents. S Ossetian militia was mostly roaming the countryside in small bands. The telling differences are that S Ossetians have more ragtag uniforms, sometimes carry somewhat different firearms, and have different tags on their vehicles.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Not to change the subject but, could you imagine if they had video of the Blackwater contractors shooting at civilians? That would obviously make more headlines here in the U.S. than the OP's story. But what does that say about society? Its almost as if a story doesn't involve the U.S. or our troops it gets de-prioritized among the news stories that actually matter. It doesn't help that the alot of Americans DO NOT want to hear about the death and suffering of our brave, uniformed men and women in Iraq.

But, in any event, it does seem that the justice dept. is going to go after these Blacwater contractors that were already under investigation for this incident involving Blackwater and 17 dead civilians..
Justice Department to indict Blackwater

US justice department is likely to indict Blackwater guards who shot dead 17 Iraqi civilians in an unprovoked shooting spree last September.

The notorious North Carolina-based security company has been involved in deadly attacks in war-ravage Iraq which angered the Iraqi nation.

Seven year-old Ali was shot dead by a Blackwater security guard on September 16, 2007 in Iraq. His father who has filed a lawsuit against Blackwater world wide said his son was murdered in cold blood and the seventeen others lost their lives on the same day, Press TV's Jihan Hafiz reported.

Washington post, quoting three sources close to Blackwater, said that those involved in the crimes could be indicted by the US justice department for their engagement.

And while many think that the government is trying to distance itself from Blackwater because of the investigation, they just recently opened up an all-new for-profit playing feild for Blackwater. The private intelligence business.

The existing ATS thread on this story can be found here..
www.abovetopsecret.com...

-ChriS

[edit on 8-9-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by maloy

So after watching this a little clearer I can say it really shows nothing about who it is

The language is clearly Georgian, and so is the accent. I can ascertain this 100%, having heard the language many many times.

where it is

This is Tskhinvali - the only city in S Ossetia that has so many large apartment buildings.

and who they are shooting at.

Well the video makes it obvious that they are shooting at everything. This coincides with many of the reports - that Georgian tanks are firing directly at the civilians building in the city when they started moving in on August 8th.

How can we even be sure its in Georgia?

Lets see - Georgian languare, Georgian accent, Soviet amor, and what looks a lot like Tskhinvali.

I was going to ask you that actually.
If there was some difference in the sounding of the Georgian and Russian accents and language.So we could tell.
Thanks for confirming that.
To most of us it just sounds the same.
So you have confirmed its Georgians.
Now what we need to ascertain is why they were driving around shooting at nothing saying woohoo.
Ok ill rephrase that, shooting at apartment buildings that didn't look like there was anyone in them.
And didn't look like there was anyone shooting back at them.

[edit on 8-9-2008 by Interestinggg]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Now what we need to ascertain is why they were driving around shooting at nothing saying woohoo.
Ok ill rephrase that, shooting at apartment buildings that didn't look like there was anyone in them.
And didn't look like there was anyone shooting back at them.

Well keep in mind that Georgians shelled the city for about 12 hours before moving in their ground forces. So this video of armor moving in is clearly on August 8th or later. By this time the remaining civilians in the city were already hiding in basements and shelters - as reported by most media sources. That is why you don't see anyone, and the buldings look empty.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Just seen the film......to be honest that could be Ronald McDonald firing the gun dressed in his usual orange and yellow attaire.
This is clearly Russian Propaganda and just as likely to be the russians shooting up Georgia i can't see anyway of verifying anything......both sides used the same weapons..same tanks...likely same paint on the tanks.

[edit on 8/9/2008 by Jerome Newton]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Not that I'm a Russophobe but........

Those that say that the Russians were not looting but that it was the Ossetian Militia is a downright lie !

I know from first hand sources IE telephone conversations ive had with people that are actually there in west Georgia that the Russian soldiers were looting.

They were searching homes looking for Vodka and they were Hungry.

Even washing up liquid they were taking.

So dont be misled by Russophilic posters.

Incidentaly I wonder how much conscripts in the Russian Army get paid ?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Simple

Can anyone identify what the person says after saying woo hoo
Also can anyone identify the tank model?

Perhaps with this information more can be understood of who is at the controls

anyone?

Is it the same tank he speaks of?

[edit on 8-9-2008 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I didn't see anything labelling this tank as Georgian.

How do I know it wasn't Russian?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Its obvously a Georgian but then thats what soldiers do not that condone this behaviour but I cannot understand the Nievety in this thread.

But then the Russians are Angels arent they.

[edit on 8-9-2008 by RedDanDoc]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

That youtube clip is a textbook example of a Prisoner of war being forced to make a made up statement.

Shame on you for posting it !

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

You can tell its a Georgian from the voice and accent.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
georgian troops kills civilians and peacekeepers and says "Very good"

Man's voice saying "Aim at the roofs and set the houses on fire. Use ammunition supplies sparingly. Choose your targets and take two to three shots"

Ossetian people SPEAK

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Now it could be Georgian tanks. Easily. War is hell, and there are no saints. Especially in the ethnically charged conflicts like this one.
And add adrenalin from entering foreign "enemy" city ...
But i find another thing weird. Russia claims that Tshinvalli was leveled. Now there are buildings standing - as seen in this video. There are even green trees, with leaves on them. No signs of extensive fire damage.
???????
So just as in the story of shepherd boy that cried "wolf" - since Russian reports started with lies, it is hard to trust what could be truth.
I am not even talking about 2000 dead. I am glad that it was also a lie, but still - a lot of people died needlessly.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Russian soldier loots a spoon

uk.youtube.com...

drunkenneess

uk.youtube.com...

more drunken representatives of the glorious Russian Army.

uk.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Sorry there's no proof it's Georgian troops

there's also no proof if they are indeed Georgian troops they are shooting at civilians, they could be shooting at rebels as there's more small arms fire going on than Tank canon rounds & HMG rounds.

It could be either

A) Georgians shooting civilians
B) Georgians shooting rebels
C) Russians shooting civilians
D) Russians shooting empty buildings
E) Georgians shooting empty buildings
F) Might not even be in Georgia

Take your pick depending on your bias, I for one will hold judgement until some real "proof" is shown as to who the gunner is, where he is and what he is shooting at

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedDanDoc
Its obvously a Georgian but then thats what soldiers do not that condone this behaviour but I cannot understand the Nievety in this thread.

But then the Russians are Angels arent they.

[edit on 8-9-2008 by RedDanDoc]

I agree you even see he had a black eye let me guess he got that falling off a tank? In the so called interview they were scared you can see it in there eyes it was not an admission out of guilt but fear. Russians obviously pushed him trying to say the Americans were involved and he said not in my unit but they were here to train troops for Iraq. Obviously only mentioned because his captors wanted him to. as for the cell phone video it was an apc mount the noises you heard were the people inside and those clangs you heard were bullets hitting the apc . I know hell brought back some nightmares for me. Its very scary being in an apc in combat you wouldn't believe the stuff said to release tension you sometimes have to scream. Kind of like riding a roller coaster you go down the hill your natural reaction is to scream do to fear and adrenaline. If you watch the video closely he is scanning buildings just what your supposed to do when entering a hostile town nothing more. All this video proved is that these people were scared.

Dont think for 1 second that the Georgians were not attacked it was a war. And the casualty lists meen nothing because you dont know which side killed who and when where they caught in crossfire there is no facts and will never be that is the horrer when armies clash.
Available estimates put the South Ossetian forces at a mere 2,500 officers and men, or 16,000, including reservists. They are armed with 15 T-55 and T-72 tanks, 24 Gvozdika and Akatsiya self-propelled artillery units, 12 D-30 towed howitzers, six multiple-launch rocket systems, four 100-mm Rapir anti-tank weapons, and more than 30 mortars. In addition, the South Ossetian army has 22 infantry combat vehicles, 24 APCs, and six combat patrol vehicles.

The infantry is equipped with small arms of Soviet or Russian make, and has several dozen Fagot and Konkurs anti-tank rocket systems. Its air force consists of four MI-8 multi-purpose transport helicopters. South Ossetia can defend itself against air attacks with four to six Osa, three Tunguska, three Shilka, and six Strela-10 air defense rocket systems. It also has 12 23-mm ZU-23/2 twin antiaircraft guns (some of which are mounted on GAZ-66 trucks), and up to 100 Igla and Strela man-portable air-defense missiles.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join