It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fema setting camp in my neck of the woods!!!!!!!!!!!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Fema is not taking any chances this time around

Well as Ike approaches the Florida keys is possible that may end in the Gulf of Mexico specially impacting the east side of the gulf and the northern part of florida.

How serious it is? serious enough that they are already setting camp in our local base and turning the Depot base into a headquarters for emergency relief.

Unmarked White Trailers has been arriving overnight full with emergency supplies, water and food, is suppose to be in the hundreds.

Also trailers with all kind of communications equipment and satellites.

Its actually exciting to see some much movement in our quiet base.

Also because our base is also a evacuation point for military personnel from Beaufort all the way to Pensacola we are to house thousands of soldiers in case of land fall next week.

I guess Ike is to be taken seriously for Fema.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
When you say "our base", what exactly are you referring to?

It is good to hear that the FEMA folk are scurrying to prepare the region for any impending natural disaster.

Stay safe, marg. Your threads/posts would be missed!

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Our local base is MCLB located in Albany Ga. I am very happy that Fema is taking action and preparing for what IKE will bring.

Is very exciting to see all the preparations going on in the base that happens to be a Depot.

The last time we have movement was under Katrina but Fema didn't set up camp that time.

It was only evacuees from Pensacola base.

I will keep updating the thread as more information on FEMA camp comes out and what else they will be bringing to MCLB.

This time I will say Hurray!!!!!!!!!!!! for FEMA

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
This time I will say Hurray!!!!!!!!!!!! for FEMA

Now there's something we don't see very often! I gotta tell ya, I admire your positive attitude.

And thanks for the clarification, as well.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I don't like Fema but right now they so far are proving that they can do the job and be ready for emergency before the disaster.

It save lives.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I work at MCLB, and preparations are being made there, at least for military personnel that get evacuated to the base. We do this most times when a storm is headed to the Carolinas (one that could mess with Parris Island) or the Florida Panhandle.

Edit to add: The base itself is making preparations....setting up portable showers, sleeping quarters, etc. I am not sure if they are acting hand in hand with FEMA at the moment, though.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by skeptic1]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Hey my husband works in the base also after he retired in 98

Yes the plans were to evacuate Beaufort but then Hanna didn't prove to be a serious danger and that was cancel yesterday and diverted to Ike.

So now is for the evacuation of Pensacola and Fema setting camp for emergency relief in the area that may be impacted by IKE all happen overnight and kind of got everybody by surprise when the White trailers started arriving.

I guess some lack of communication in the change of command but it was expected.

I agree that Fema is taking charge I think, this is the first time Fema gets involved I believe directly with the base command.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Sounds like the FEMA wants to be trusted.. Suspicious.. Oh well when there is a time where the FEMA issues a pointless evacuation. Don't buy into it.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
marg, no offense, but I think there's quite a difference in a FEMA "camp" as we know it (you know, the kind that have prisons with razor wire fences, gas chambers, 20 models of waterboarding machines, and train cars with shackles...), and the kind of temporary emergency operation as you see there for a storm... Just wanted to clarify that... But yeah, it is good that Katrina taught some lessons.

So... Have you set out all your guns on the front porch for the police/military to confiscate yet? Maybe that way they won't have to bust down your door.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
When a storm threatens a military installation on the Panhandle or in the Carolinas, MCLB always prepares "in the event of.....". And, since I've been there for over a decade, we do a pretty good job of it.

About 7 or 8 years ago (can't remember the storm), Parris Island was evacuated to MCLB Albany. It was crazy for about a week. Boot camp where boot camp was never to be. Those recruits and their drill sergeants slept in the building where I work, took showers in front of it (believe me, still have bad mental images of that to this day), and did what they could under not so pleasant circumstances. They were inconvenienced, the base itself was inconvenienced, but we all did what we needed to do to make it work. Buses, accomodations, being flexible, and just plain tolerating each other for a week.

Since then, when a major storm comes along, we always set up areas where military personnel can be evacuated to. Now, I personally don't want a bunch of recruits down in my area again, but we are always prepared.

And, if FEMA comes on board this time, then good for them. If we work hand in hand, good. And, for the record, we are in South Georgia....no one's gettin' our guns!!

[edit on 6-9-2008 by skeptic1]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
TrueAmerican

Well to tell you the truth this morning when we were in our way to the base gym and we saw the communication trailers with the satellites we thought it was the news media, but then they have Fema logos, so we immediately though it was kind of out of place in the base.

We knew the base was to receive over 7000 troops from Beaufort but that never materialized.

I guess Fema needed a safe place for supplies and the base been a DEPOT it has facilities and space for large deployment of goods either to receive them or to dispatch them.

IKE is to be in the gulf by Thursday so is plenty of time to see what else is going on.

During Katrina the base turned into a tent city so I guess the tents are to be back.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

How do you know that it is FEMA prep and not military prep (as the prev poster stated) for a military evac? just curious...

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I certainly hope it is FEMA, but I always look to see if the logos appear to be fresh paint.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by habu71

How do you know that it is FEMA prep and not military prep (as the prev poster stated) for a military evac? just curious...

Because our base doesn't house anymore troops like other bases we are a base run on civilian workers with the military as second in population.

So is not troops to evacuate from our base.

Well the sources that explain what is going on is pretty reliable so at least that is what we know about Fema been in the base setting camp.

I also see a conspiracy angle but so far the explanation match what we are witnessing.

So far I have not seen any armed private personnel around the Fema trailers.

At least no yet.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Trust me. Marine recruits are never "convenienced." Just the change of scenery was probably a blessing most will never forget, not to mention the bus ride.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
...I think there's quite a difference in a FEMA "camp" as we know it (you know, the kind that have prisons with razor wire fences, gas chambers, 20 models of waterboarding machines, and train cars with shackles...)....

Are camps such as you describe really FEMA camps as we know them?

Do camps such as these really exist in the US? I mean besides the presence of things like gas chambers, razor wire and shackles that exist in prisons for convicted felons.

Where are these FEMA camps?

[edit on 2008/9/6 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
GradyPhilpott

I agree and also a great booster to the local mall, back when Katrina they were sending them by bus load to the local mall but during Katrina they were evacuees from Pensacola so I don't think new recruits are allowed to leave the base, anyway It was a great sight to see the town full of military personnel in uniform.

And that is my honest opinion.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Thanks for your post and onsite information, Marg.

I will keep my eye on this thread to see what develops.

I wonder if the CERN event can effect hurricanes?

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Marg,

First, stay safe......second, can you take pictures? not just the trailers, the antennas....

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by habu71

Actually I wanted too, but I was afraid of repercussions but I will try to get pictures.

The only thing I saw was so far the fema trailers had dish satellites on top and the sides, they actually look like weather vans but instead of vans they are much bigger RVs size.

It was about two when we went in the base and as we were exiting it was three more making about 5 of them and I believe more to come.

Now the facility can house hundreds of supply trailers.

interestedalways

Thanks I will check on everything.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join