It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars rover maneuvered to crush object

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Has this event with the Mars rover betrayed a mysterious covert agenda to hide the very evidence of the life they claim to seek?

Did the rover sniff out evidence of life and somehow drive over it?
Kinda looks like it did... there is debris around the tracks that could be from the object...

mechanical malfunction or deliberate coverup?

rover landing site

strange object

crushed object?

front cam

rear cam

enlargment (why would the rover make so many turns?)

source

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
marsrovers.nasa.gov...

Johnson took the visual color clues a step further. He measured the visible light spectrum from the Pancam image of the "bunny ears" and compared it to the spectrum of a sample of airbag material. The nearly identical spectra are distinct from typical martian soil or rock spectra and lead Johnson to believe that the "bunny ears" are, indeed, a wayward piece of airbag material or something similar.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Uh what OP? Man what are you on about? Lol! Good job Pauligirl.
A star for you for sure. I am glad there are those that don't just jump on some of these band wagons.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl
marsrovers.nasa.gov...

Johnson took the visual color clues a step further. He measured the visible light spectrum from the Pancam image of the "bunny ears" and compared it to the spectrum of a sample of airbag material. The nearly identical spectra are distinct from typical martian soil or rock spectra and lead Johnson to believe that the "bunny ears" are, indeed, a wayward piece of airbag material or something similar.

did they ever find out how this material got there in the first place?

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
It could have easily been torn off during the airbag landing phase of the mission..saying it was a covert attempt to destroy signs of life by driving over it are very lame to say the least

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I thought the craft landed using small thrusters to slow its descent in the last few feet. or am I mistaking it for another module?
I know in the past they've used airbags to cushion the landings of other modules.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
The Mars Rover used parachutes/retro rockets to slow its descent then airbags from a height of 10-15 metres.Its possible that the lander hit a sharp rock etc when on this phase producing the object in question.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I think that what should have happend here is the rover driven up to this suspect object, a close up photo taken of it to verify if it was indeed a piece of the airbag or not, and if it was just a piece of the airbag, then move on with the mission. Seems logical and far more reasonable to explain if it was indeed just a piece of the airbag ya?

But they drove right over this suspect object....not even stopping to check it out first to verify. That is how real scientific analysis is performed. You verify something first before concluding what it is or what it is not.

In this case, as far as we know anyway...they just drove right over it and moved along.

Never Admits Seeing Anomalies always does things this way.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Even if it is a piece of the airbags, still very odd that the rover made so many turns just to ride over it....

Hmmmm?

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak
enlargment (why would the rover make so many turns?)

source

Why would it make so many turns? Because after it rolled off of the lander for the first time, it turned to go in the direction the controllers wanted it to go -- why does that seem so strange to you?

Plus, I would think the first thing NASA would want to do after landing on Mars is to see how the Rover maneuvers on Mars.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I think it would be more logical for the rover to drive in a straight line
unless it's trying to run something over

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Edit double post

[edit on 5-9-2008 by SuperSlovak]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
[edit on 5-9-2008 by SuperSlovak]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by bmdefiant

The Mars Rover used parachutes/retro rockets to slow its descent then airbags from a height of 10-15 metres.Its possible that the lander hit a sharp rock etc when on this phase producing the object in question.

Initially yes... but then it bounced like a rubber ball for a long time...

I really wish you guys would do your homework before stating facts

Yes I said "BOUNCED" like a "RUBBER BALL"

ABSOLUTE PROOF OF ALIENS ON MARS

Silly Lemmings... and Poor Rabbit

[edit on 5-9-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I kinda feel sorry for the little bunny.
if it was something that posed a threat
and thats why they ran it over i can understand that,

but its just a harmless bunny running around
rest in peace little bunny.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
According to the article, the thing was only about 2 inches long and was "blown under the north facing egress ramp." There's a picture on the site showing it under the ramp, so no, the rover didn't run over it.
marsrovers.nasa.gov...

And thank you , Vance.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl
According to the article,

"Without seeing the "bunny ears" object up close with our own eyes, it's difficult to provide a positive identification"

You guys kill me the tag team... Don't forget to star each others post now

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
The rovers were preprogrammed with a 'lost in space' mechanism of crush, kill, destroy any organic creatures living or past. Sans the drill down of that almost perfectly segmented scorpion looking thing in the rock.

I believe the consensus it was a piece of the lining something or another.
Or maybe the rovers just really hate bunnies. Can't believe those suckers are still tooming along. Kudos to the engineers on that one.

top topics

join