It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Arctic Sees Massive Gain in Ice Coverage"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
So, with the breaking off of the 4500 year old shelf near Canada and the regrowing of a 70k sq km shelf emerging, how does this bode for our planet?

I made the off the cuff remark to a friend that something like this should have Gore and the Greenies up at night about their precious fiscal cause. His response was about the shelf that broke off, seeing nothing positive about the ice that has returned. We debated a bit about global warming and the affect of the polar ice reflecting sunlight and keeping the globe at moderate temps. It pretty much ended in a fade out.

So, does this bode well for us or is this just a seasonal event? Will the ice remain or will it melt away? While I personally feel good about this, how will the media and greenies spin this, if they mention it at all?

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
lol, what a load of BS.

Yeah, it's growing, that's why the arctic passage is melting enough to allow regular ships through instead of icebreakers. lol.

They're quick to say that some ice has grown... yet they don't bother to tell you about the areas that have lost ice.

That's like watching a tree die, and telling everyone it's growing because a single leaf just grew. Meanwhile the rest of it's falling apart.

You gotta love how much effort these guys put into their spins.

But no. Our EYES are watching entire shelves float past us. Shelves the size of small nations.
The Canadian military is gearing up it's naval presence in the arctic passage... why? Because now that ships can come and go as they please without ice breakers, someone has to be there to make sure they're legal.
Investors are beginning to research the shoreline to plant re-fueling ports along the north...

... but this one group claims the arctic is growing... ROFLMAO, I want what they're high on!

Anybody here live in a cold climate? Fellow Canadians can attest to this.
Notice what happens when the shore ice is melting? The big chunks of ice melt, while small areas of ice build up in the shaded areas... is it growing? No. It's melting, but the shaded areas get a few last bits of ice attached to them, before the whole chunk dissolves.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
If you actually go to the source:

source

26 August 2008 Figure 1. Daily Arctic sea ice extent for August 26, 2008, fell below the 2005 minimum, which was 5.32 million square kilometers (2.05 million square miles). The orange line shows the 1979 to 2000 average extent for that day. The black cross indicates the geographic North Pole. Sea Ice Index data. See the full announcement Media Advisory: Arctic sea ice now second-lowest on record Sea ice extent has fallen below the 2005 minimum, previously the second-lowest extent recorded since the dawn of the satellite era. We will know if the 2008 record will also fall in the next several weeks, when the melt season comes to a close. The bottom line, however, is that the strong negative trend in summertime ice extent characterizing the past decade continues. On August 27, 2008, at approximately 9:15 am MT, we issued an update with finalized numbers.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I think its the same everywhere. Global warming this and carbon emissions that. I live in Ireland and we were told about 3 to 4 months ago that there is a water shortage, yet we had record rain fall this year and the 4 years previous. So whats that all about? Ill tell you shall I! Money!!! They've just announced last month that their going to start charging us for our water which i know would make sense if their was a drought but there isn't. It rains here all the time! In fact as i write this its pissing down outside! They fed us stories about the Ozone layer and what CFC's did to it, so we get rid of CFC's and now they come up with something new, CARBON DIOXIDE IS CAUSING THE EARTH TO WARM UP! So whats next? Culling the population because we breathe out carbon dioxide!

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
guess people should hold off on buying any carbon credits. i've never really believed in global warming, anyways. i kind of think it's a little vain of mankind to think that we can influence the weather like that.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkwingduck
guess people should hold off on buying any carbon credits. i've never really believed in global warming, anyways. i kind of think it's a little vain of mankind to think that we can influence the weather like that.

How is it vain? I hear this argument more and more, usually from the Creationists who also believe that the universe is 'too hard' to understand therefore it must have been designed. What is the rationale behind this sort of statement? Where is the vanity exactly? I can't see it.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I honestly don't see the problem with Global Warming. The Earth's climate fluctuates and changes. It has been both much warmer and much cooler in the past, and we have never had runaway Warming or Cooling in either case. We have also had extremely large scale extinctions - on the order of 80% of all life on Earth being estimated to have been wiped out. So I think it's fairly clear that we are not going to "destroy" the Earth, nor are we going to exterminate all life on it. We are changing the environment, but all environments change. The Africa our ancestors first saw as they stood on bipedal legs was not the same Africa our species eventually walked out of, nor is it the same Africa we see today. The rate of temperature change is increasing rapidly, but I think you'll also see quite a bit of species behaviorally adapt or migrate rather than simply go extinct.

The major problem for us is that we tend to live near water sources for sustenance, trade, and recreation. Those areas may end up seeing extreme flooding - but even by the most alarming estimates (well, maybe not the MOST alarming), we still have time and money to put into infrastructure both to reduce flooding and to move our cities back away from the coast as the waters come inward. Nor are we making any preemptive plans to move our farming further Northwards or set up infrastructure there to support increased levels of agriculture?.

The main problem I have with Global Warming theory isn't whether or not it's true (it is), or accurate (we're working on it), but just what in the hell are we doing about it? It's really not of much consequence to the Earth or Life in general - so what are WE doing to adapt? Not a damned thing as far as I can see. We're just engaging in political hand-wringing, wishful thinking, and subsidizing politicized biofuel alternatives that are even worse to the environment than oil. Even worse still, we're wasting tons of money on this BS while third world countries with very real, very deadly, and very day to day problems are suffering. How humanitarian of us to sacrifice in the name of future generations, while letting todays current generation fade away from poverty, famine, and war. THERE is where we should be laying the testbeds and foundations for renewable energy sources and clean industry - both to ensure these technologies work and are efficient, as well as to prevent their modernization from contributing to the problem.

Society on it's current scale is highly dependent on it's infrastructure - and if we're not prepared to roll with the punches and allow our infrastructure to me malleable and adaptable, then we're just setting ourselves up for disaster. A self-fulfilling prophecy.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by welivefortheson
this growth is in comparision to last years record low.

the cause of the growth is an usually strong siberian wind.

the world is unusualy cold at the moment due to the conjunction of the la nina and a solar minimum
en.wikipedia.org...
science.nasa.gov...

en.wikipedia.org...

What? The Sun having an affect on Global Warming, and Cooling, I would never have guessed such a thing...

Looks like the Gor...Green Religion is starting to meltdown...

[edit on 6-9-2008 by NorthWolfe CND]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Both sides are right, the ice is suddenly growing back faster and it is also melting faster.

The Earth is extremely well balanced, the more fresh water melts into the Atlantic the weaker the Gulf stream will become, the less Ice there is in Summer, the more warm air will risse from the ocean the more percipitation there will be the more air will blow in and cool the area.

Eventually one year, what we will get is an ice age... from global warming.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Due to "La Nina" we will see cooling this year, no biggie, next year it will come back 10 times worse....

NA... Next year will just be "El Nino". Then the cooling cycle will continue.

[edit on 9-6-08 by tsEnigma]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by NorthWolfe CND

Yeah what a BS idea that the sun has an effect on the weather...

[edit on 6-9-2008 by wytworm]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join