It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mirthful's Law... An axiom regarding on-topic discussion...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
isn't being unaware of a member's posting a form of ignorance?

no more than not being aware of every single post made, since we can't really read everything on this board.

I believe ATS has watered down the meaning of "ignorance" to the point where it's barely even an arrangement of letters to me anymore. Sort of like how "9/11" is just an arrangement of numbers.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
reply to post by LLoyd45

I'm sorry to inform those less well acquainted with my contributions here at ATS that I have not obtained a new dictionary, mod bot programming, nor have I used any performance enhancing drugs... It's just lil' ol' me and that whole monkey banging randomly on a typewriter Shakespeare thing...

[edit on 5/9/2008 by Mirthful Me]

Sorry this is off topic but...

Mirthful, Since you are a person of great intellect, which tangible dictionary is the best in your opinion?

Also, you could U2U me if you would prefer. Furthermore, the true difference between connote and denote or "connotation" and "denotation."

Back on topic.....

Starring and flagging should suffice but people like to get points for ATS purchases, respect, and eventual veneration. I am too guilty of this act so I shall stop.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Unlimitedpossibilities

I would like to point out that I'm uncomfortable with the term person, as it has a certain human connotation. I'd also like to point out that vast majority of members here would question using "intellectual" to denote my cognitive functions.

Here are two excellent links that address connotation vs. denotation.

classweb.gmu.edu...

ezinearticles.com...

As for a dictionary to rest your weary head on, I prefer this unabridged dictionary:

www.amazon.com...

I would qualify this with the fact that there are new words and terms that are constantly entering into the vast expanse that is the English language, that any tangible reference is doomed to obsolescence.

My two off topic bananas.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Mirthful Me

That is some ingenious post buddy. I must say, you are unique. I aspire towards your vocabulary and sense of creativity, albeit it is only via the internet.

I heard some not so good criticisms about merriam-webster's dictionaries but since it is just webster's who knows. When I get money, maybe I will invest my money into one. Good point in regards to it being prone to "obsolescence". Presumably, they must do automatic updates.

Thanks for the links to those words too. I searched one day and could not find any good explanations on the web. Not very good at searching as you may have seen.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join