It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mirthful's Law... An axiom regarding on-topic discussion...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Most people who participate on discussion boards are aware of Godwin's Law and the ramifications and inferences by those who chose to eschew this postulate.

It has come to my keen simian synapse that a similar though far more localized phenomena is being perpetrated on a far more frequent basis. I refer to the mid discussion references to starring, flagging and the ubiquitous "you've been put on ignore." The use of stars, flags and whether a post(s) have been starred or flagged and if so, by whom, is irrelevant to the actual discussion. Proudly proclaiming that you have put a member on ignore in the midst of a heated debate is synonymous with waving a white flag. The ignore function is intended as a means of relief from a member whose comments are disruptive and should be used sparingly, if at all... And when it is implemented, it should be done without fanfare or announcement. I also recommend to remove an ignore as quickly as it is feasible in order to continue to "Deny Ignorance;" after all, isn't being unaware of a member's posting a form of ignorance?

The interjection of sophomoric commentary such as aforementioned does nothing for the topic at hand, and in this primate's humble opinion is the moral equivalent of capitulation. I hope that the membership at large can appreciate the consequences of violating Mirthful's Law, and that while no administrative penalty is associated with violating said canon, it intrinsically degrades the quality of discussion here at ATS.

Fiat Monkeys, not just for indulging in memetics anymore...

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Mirthful Me

Very well written, glad to see a member/staff use such good wording when getting a point across. I agree as well to the above statements.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Thanks.

In the politically charged atmosphere that has and will over the next couple of months (I hope it is just a couple) pervade the sanctity of the forums here at ATS, it is incumbent that the membership make every effort to engage in meaningful discussion devoid of senseless rhetoric and infantile devices.

Keep ATS clean... Post on topic and with a modicum of civility and decorum.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
flag and star for you, MM !!.

haha nar, im just messin with ya. i put you on ignore instead.

[edit on 2/9/08 by Obliv_au]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
The joke is on you...

Originally posted by Obliv_au
haha nar, im just messin with ya. i put you on ignore instead.

I'm staff... And can't be put on ignore...

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
You use too many big words.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Dulcimer

That may be... But it seems that you've instituted a policy of brevity, and not for the sake of succinct conversation. I'd are say that your penchant for monosyllabic discourse coupled with my erudite colloquy would average out to a pablum suitable for the masses.

Thanks for providing a yin to my yang...

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I will have a suitable reply for your in 6-8 weeks. Please hold.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Never use a big word when a dimminutive one will do the job just as well.

I agree with you MM. There are few more worthless "additions" to a thread than seeing someone merely respond with "I agree! Star and flag!" and that's it. I don't so much mind them including the fact that the thread was starred & flagged (though it is completely unneeded and reeks of "Here I am! Look at me!" syndrome) IF they also contribute to the thread by adding either their own words & opinion or some usefull information pertaining to the topic.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
reply to post by Dulcimer

That may be... But it seems that you've instituted a policy of brevity, and not for the sake of succinct conversation. I'd are say that your penchant for monosyllabic discourse coupled with my erudite colloquy would average out to a pablum suitable for the masses.

Thanks for providing a yin to my yang...

Funniest thing on ATS I have seen thus far!!!!!

I also recommend to remove an ignore as quickly as it is feasible in order to continue to "Deny Ignorance;" after all, isn't being unaware of a member's posting a form of ignorance?

Kudos to the thread. I agree very much with his part. Very hypocritical to have an avatar to deny ignorance, and then put people on ignore. Root word of ignorance is ignore. Right?!

Using "big" words (I hate saying big because they are not necessarily big) can convey a more profound message as it did here so keep it up! If it means going to dictionary.com every 5 words than so be it. It will enlighten us even more to the plethora of words that we have neglected for so long that should be commonly used in the English language.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Mirthful Me

That was a lot of fancy words there Monkey Man, were not but humble pirates.

Are you requesting that we forsake the communication of letting fellow members know that we appreciated their input and wanted to reward them publicly by staring and flagging the post or thread? Making this simple reward to a member just an anonymous statement of agreement without a ritualistic pat on the back as it were?

And are you also asking us to not point out to those whom we choose to put on ignore the fact that we did so? Would it not be better to inform the person that we chose to ignore (thus denying their ignorance) so that they can themselves return to the topic at hand and avoid needlessly arguing to someone that can no longer see what they are typing?

Albeit irrelevant to the discussion it may be worthwhile and appreciated to point out to another member the thread or topic is mutually respected by others. This is fundamental to positive reinforcement of quality ideals. While rewarding what we feel is good participation and quality input serves well to promote better discussion it is also worthwhile to also publicly thank the member for their hard work and quality.

While certainly this should not be the only message brought across into a thread topic with one's post but I do feel that it is well regarded and should be looked upon with less disdain, if the kudos from members to other members being publicly displayed were integrated into an on topic and contributing post.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Yay a bigwig just said what i had said months ago.Alot more eloquently though.Posting just to tell someone you starred and flagged them, what do you want a cookie for that?Maybe you could reduce the amount of stars and flags a member can give out in a day/week/month?That way it might actually mean something more than a hi5 from a (more than likely)friend.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   

I'm staff... And can't be put on ignore...

Wanna bet?

As to the topic ...

I agree that endless shows of support can fill a thread very rapidly... and a simple satr and flag without the words should suffice...

But I have a few thoughts on it...

First looking at the stats, which I only did just recently when someone brought it up...

Total member accounts: 144,941
Members who have posted: 74,770
Percentage of members who have posted: 51 %
Number of members with 20 or fewer posts: 61,352
Number of members with 20 to 100 posts: 7,417
Number of members with 100 to 500 posts: 3,993
Number of members with 500 to 1,000 posts: 858
Number of members with 1,000 to 5,000 posts: 746
Number of members with 5,000 to 10,000 posts: 75
Number of members with more than 10,000 posts: 37

So what I see is the majority of posts are done by a small minority...

What I have seen a lot and its born up in my U2U's is people less experienced at writing or research just simply don't know how or what to add to a subject, yet don't want to feel left out entirely..

I don't know what the solution is if any, but I think its real...

Its also easy to just scoot past those and drop them a star in return.

But they do serve one useful purpose... they counter balance the thousands of newbie one liner smartass posts that seem to be getting more and more. Its hard for mods to catch these and its not worth the bother to hit alert all the time...

But myself I take the thumbs up as a sign to gauge which threads are worth my time to work on. If all there was was the negative BS from newbies and some regulars... it would be a lot less fun

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

and

reply to post by whatukno

I think the more insidious aspect of the "starred and flagged issue" is what I am trying to address. It is true, adding a "starred and flagged" comment is gratuitous at best, but the application of this all to common phrase in terms of validity and credibility is at the crux of my missive. I have seen this technique being used more frequently, and in the humble opinion of this simian, has been used to the detriment of ATS and it's members.

Unfortunately, I can't give specific examples as it would be unfair to single out individual members, but here are some general themes that I have seen recently:

If you are right why hasn't anyone starred your post?

This topic won't be flagged.

The only reason your posts have been starred is because your friends are starring them.

Here's my final point and you are on ignore.

That should be enough to get the gist of it, and recognize whatever permutation may be perpetrated in a particular discussion. Extrapolate at your own peril.

I hope that provides some clarification.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
The issue that is brought up here seems to be a malady that is affecting society in general and, inevitably, surfaces on ATS. It is becoming seemingly more common - and thus acceptable - to shout your opponent down and then smugly and proudly claim victory in the ‘debate’. Many persons today seem to feel that the VOLUME or emotional tone of their words is what matters. Content is presumably not important. Facts are irrelevant. It seems the more passionate you are about a subject the more right you must be.

The use of the ‘ignore’ button, with a loud pronouncement of the fact, seems to provide these sorts with the same sort of satisfaction: pressing the button gives them the power to shut (metaphorically shout) down the opponent and therefore win the debate. They thus loudly crow to the opponent and also to the bystanders that they have effectively dealt with the offending viewpoint. No thought is ever given to the fact that they provided no reasoned rebuttal or sensible argument.

The stars and flags are the logical accompaniment to this. One doesn’t have to provide an opportunity for your opponent to attack your own assertions; just jump on the back of the biggest, loudest barking dog and cheer him on. Then one remains safe from any possible need to actually personally defend one’s positions.

I do feel that these sorts will eventually weed themselves out from ATS and the Moderators will take action as necessary. However, we must accept the fact that as ATS is a reflection of society – albeit a smarter and better looking segment of it – these types of posts will persist.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   

after all, isn't being unaware of a member's posting a form of ignorance?

Sometimes Mirthful, drivel is drivel. Most of us are intelligent enough to discern what is worth reading and what is not. It appears you disagree.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

And this discernment is arrived at sans awareness of what is being posted at any given moment (for a member that you have on ignore)? I applaud your clairvoyance and can only hope in future evolutionary iterations that I rise to such a lofty perch of clarity...

Disagree?

Indeed...

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
It sounds like somebody here on ATS got a new dictionary! I'm ever so impressed by people with large vocabularies. Be careful though, you may raise the verbal IQ here at ATS without meaning too!

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I'm sorry to inform those less well acquainted with my contributions here at ATS that I have not obtained a new dictionary, mod bot programming, nor have I used any performance enhancing drugs... It's just lil' ol' me and that whole monkey banging randomly on a typewriter Shakespeare thing...

[edit on 5/9/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join