It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Da Vinci Code

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I recently read Deception Point that Brown had written. Kind of the same type of you don't want to put it down book, but not any means the same as Angels and Demons or Da Vinci Code

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
bought it yesterday....read it in 6 hours, I couldn't put it down.

great book and work of fiction...comparable to one of my favorite books, Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice. It really helps to tell a good story when authors spend their time doing research.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Alright, I know this is a far stretch, but while reading the book, as well as with a short bit of pictorial research, I found some links between the book and the well-known PC/Video game, Hitman 2... (Just bare with me on this one :@@

Aside from the obvious story differences, their appears to be a correlation between characters :

True Bishop of the Opus Dei: Josemaria Escriva
known in Da Vinci Code as Aringarosa

Father from Hitman 2
www.marioland.ru...
* Sorry, pic too big to place here, and this is, regretfully, the only screenshot I could find with him in it *

Silas?

---

When I initially did a google image search for Opus Dei, and saw what the Bishop looked like, he immediately reminded me of the Father in Hitman 2. After thinking about it, it seemed to me that "The Teacher" in The Da Vinci Code commanded Silas like the anonymous master in the beginning of the first Hitman.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   
dude....if they actually knew where the f*ckin grail really was, don't u think that WE'D know too considering the fact that the author knew where it was...

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
The most recent issue of "Biblical Archaeology Review" has an article toward the back of the magazine that reviews the theses of The Da Vinci Code on a point by point basis. Definitely worth a look. Also a great magazine by the way.

df1

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Unlocking DaVinci's Code: The Full Story (Sunday, December 19, 9 p.m. ET/PT)

Dare to explore the facts behind the best-selling book when the NGC presents "Unlocking DaVinci's Code: The Full Story." This two-hour special provides the most in-depth examination ever brought to television, including exclusive interviews with author Dan Brown who reveals the sources of his controversial assertions. The show also takes viewers on a guided tour inside locations claimed to hold the keys to the mystery. Was Mary Magdalene the wife of Jesus Christ -- and perhaps even the mother of his child? And are their descendants still alive today? Was this startling revelation protected by a secret society that included the likes of Leonardo DaVinci and Sir Isaac Newton? And did Leonardo leave hints hidden within his masterpieces?

Full Article

I thought this might be of interest to the folks on the secret societies threads. Enjoy.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
The DaVinci Code was based on Gnostic texts and thus a bunch of crap. Before you go off believing this work of fiction I would suggest you open your minds a little bit and read some books that discuss point-by-point how the author misleads and misrepresents the truth.

Other than that it is a good read.

Cheers!

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
you mean as opposed to being based on cannonical writings and a bunch of crap?

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I guess you haven't read the gnostic writings, which are so esoteric they are barely understandable. I trust those who were with Christ and wrote about his life rather than those who adopted parts of christianity to fit in with their paganist beliefs. The DaVinci Code took much of its "truths" from Gnostics texts which were written primarily by unknowns or those who were trying to fit Christ into their paganistic beliefs. The Canons were written by those who were there and experienced Christ and the early church not by those who got second hand info and then incorporated thier cultism with Christian beliefs.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Man, I cant believe the aggression of some posts slagging off Brown. Hello? It`s fiction, OK?

Dan Browns FAQ:

HOW MUCH OF THIS NOVEL IS TRUE?
The Da Vinci Code is a novel and therefore a work of fiction.....

...My hope in writing this novel was that the story would serve as a catalyst and a springboard for people to discuss the important topics of faith, religion, and history.

Non fiction = real.
Fiction = not real.

Personally I read it as a book loosely based on legends and conspiracy theories. What I found quite unbelievable was the characters who seemed shallow and stereotyped.

Funny to follow his weaving of plots and codes though, he's pretty good at that. All in all a recommended read for light entertainment, I�m sure Hollywood will make an enjoyable movie out of it.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I guess you haven't read the gnostic writings, which are so esoteric they are barely understandable.

first yes I have read them several times. I have both the Nag Hammadi and the
Dead sea scrolls in my library.
second maybe that is one of those " let those with eyes to see" things.

nextly the cannonical writings as they are known today come from the 4th century. there are no known extant copies from prior to Constantine. the
texts they were written from date from the earliest 40 years after the fact
and are based on oral traditions.

there are some of the Gnostic texts that predate those as i recall the gospel of Thomas is the oldest so far. that would be Judas Thomas Didymus the Brother of Jesus. There is also the gospel of Mary which is as i recall of the same age range.

[edit on 14-12-2004 by stalkingwolf]

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I bought that book, started reading it, couldn't put it down. Read it in about 3 sittings. Can't wait to read Angels and Demons, but from what I'm reading here I should have read it first.

Gotta admit, I was skeptical at first, but it turned out to be a great book. I really enjoyed it.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   
A&D is a great read. i read it in one 17 hour sitting. couldnt put it down.
it seems to move alot faster that TDVC.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by stalkingwolf
A&D is a great read. i read it in one 17 hour sitting.

That's hardcore dude. Hardcore.

I don't know if I could sit and read for 17 hours... I did finish The Hobbit, all three LOTR books, and the Silmarillion (now there's a good read - a little dry, but AWESOME) in a week of evenings, though. I swear every spare second I had my nose was buried in those books until I had finished them all. Same with the DaVinci Code. I just tore it up, I couldn't stop.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
this is one of those. " just one more cup of coffee, one more cig. " books . I started it late one evening figuring i could read a little then go to bed. I finally
went to bed around 8:30 the next morning.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   
StalkingWolf I suggest you take a look at this website.

answers.org...

It does a pretty good job of discussing the Gospel of Thomas. There is no need for me to put it all in a post when you can read it for yourself.

Again the Gnostics were around before Christ and had their own esoteric belief system. When the early Christians spread the good news the Gnostics just adopted what the apostles were saying into their own paganistic religion. A new psuedo-Christain-Gnostic cult was formed and the Gospel of Thomas, Gospel of Mary, etc... were just texts of this new cult. To take it as the Gospel (forgive the pun) is just ludacris and shows how you will believe anything.

If you read the Koran you will see Muhamed did the same thing and adopted many verses from the Old Testament and the New Testament, but changed some of them to fit what he wanted them to believe at the time.

Also, I didn't know that the Dead Sea Scrolls were considered Gnostic Texts. Please clarify for me.

Cheers!

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by npareed
I guess you haven't read the gnostic writings, which are so esoteric they are barely understandable. I trust those who were with Christ and wrote about his life rather than those who adopted parts of christianity to fit in with their paganist beliefs. The DaVinci Code took much of its "truths" from Gnostics texts which were written primarily by unknowns or those who were trying to fit Christ into their paganistic beliefs. The Canons were written by those who were there and experienced Christ and the early church not by those who got second hand info and then incorporated thier cultism with Christian beliefs.

I'm sorry but I have to make a comment here about this poster's comment. All the gospels (including the Gnostic ones) were written by people known to each other at the time they wrote them. Many of them are unknown TODAY though, I'll grant you that. But what about the gospel of Mary and Thomas... they're not unknown are they? The bible with the gospels was pretty much set as it is today in 325 AD, almost 300 years after Christ died. Before then, all the gospels, gnostic included, were widely used. Constantine, in order to bring some order to Christianity and ultimately be able to control it, determined the gospels and other pieces in the bible. The rest were discarded.
Frankly, you have absolutely no idea what the gnostic gospels are. The key is education, my friend. Education.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I didn't realize that a movie version was coming out. Thanks for the heads up.
But I can't help but wonder if the Catholic Church is going to be all up in arms about it, when it finally comes out.

Who wants to bet that there's going to be a lot of mudslinging about the movie version... and a LOT more postings on ATS when it comes out?

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Bet you that when the movie comes out, the Catholic Church is gonna be too busy trying to explain aweay some facts. From the looks of things, this is gonna be the greatest challenge to the Catholic Church in modern times. Conspirators, prepare for THE BATTLE !

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   

To take it as the Gospel (forgive the pun) is just ludacris and shows how you will believe anything.

the same could and probably should be said of anyone who blindly believes
writings that have been shown repeatedly to have been altered,edited,and
rewritten several times.

Salvation is a matter for Constantine, not Jesus Christ.
Pope Sylvester 318ad

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join