It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I take up the Hindu religion?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I'm seriously considering taking it up... like not just for a temporary monetary gain... but about following it for life. I hold many of the same beliefs that the Hindu religion holds... and I believe that I could follow the Hindu religion because it possesses the same guiding principles that I have believed in for my entire life so it doesn't really contradict with my belief system at all. Even the part that it has about multiple Gods and One supreme God makes sense to me. What are your opinions about the Hindu religion?

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Frank, honestly, if that's where your heart is, then by all means, do it. Hinduism has some positive and negative qualities to it, but that is any organized religion.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
If it suits you I say go for it. While not a Hindu myself, I'm definitely an admirer of Hinduism. Of all the major religions, I have found the metaphysical concepts in Hinduism to be the richest and most appealing.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I was brought up a Hindu and let me say this first - Hinduism is not an organized religion, it is not a religion, it is a way of life. If you do your duties as a householder, spouse, parent, employee and human, you are a Hindu. You don't have to DO something to become a Hindu explicitly like going to a congregation on a certain day of the week or praying at these specific times every day. What I have described above about doing your duties sincerely is the karma way of life - a word thrown around in the west without people understanding its meaning. Be true and honest with yourself and you can become a better person everyday. What we also believe is that certain yoga exercises coupled with chanting God's name helps the mind and body develop into a superior existence. Please do not chant anything that is alien to you and you don't understand - this would defeat the purpose. Please chant "Jesus" or "Allah" or any other name of God that you are comfortable with. This is the true Vedantic way of life - acceptance of God in all forms.

One more thing - Hinduism is widely called a polytheistic religion in the west - this is false. The concept of God that a Vedic follower has (Vedas - the ancient texts of the Hindus where Yoga is less than a mere footnote) is of Niraakaar (shapeless) Bramha (supreme consciousness) which manifests itself as part of our consciousness we refer to as the aatmaa (soul).

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I asked a teacher at the Hare Krishna temple about a problem I had with Krishna having the attitude that war was OK and not to worry about killing people because they will be reincarnated. He just smiled and said something like, "Sure!".

[edit on 4-11-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Personal I would say no. Because Hindu is not the way into heaven. I think you should pray and ask God for which you should do. And ask him the truth of religon and the path to his way and let him chose for you.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
What is your pay off for asking others to answer a personal question?

Do you need permission?

If you get permission, are you beyond accountability for the outcome?

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by eye open doors

I asked the question because I just wanted to know if I should take it seriously. I have learned a lot more about the Hindu religion now and I think it's very worthwhile to practice.

As for the poster above yours, I, am more concerned about being one with God. If God does judge me fit for heaven then that's okay too.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
The fact that you asked us makes me want to say no. You shouldn't need someone else to help you decide to do something like that. It just means that you're not fully on board with the idea. Seems like committing to something like that should necessitate that the person has ambition or conviction enough that nothing could stop them.

I never felt that for any religion. It's not that I don't believe in a higher power - I'm still undecided on that one. I feel like I have my own relationship with God that hasn't been corrupted by faith in any religion. Hasn't let me down yet. Lead a good life and do what you can to better yourself, society, etc. That's all anyone can ask of you.

You can be spiritual and be "unaffiliated". If you're doing it just for monetary gain then I have to say that sounds pretty sleazy. If you truly feel a calling to it then not only should you be not asking for permission, but you should not let anyone stop you.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
if you no longer believe your religion of childhood why adopt another ? They all have a good component but at the end of the day are all lies

I myself have adopted what I call the Deity Du Jour

whatever god of whatever religion strikes my fancy in any given season gets some publicity from me . Just for fun

religion is interesting for sure I love it,but picking a God or system to 'Worship'? I don't get it?

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I say just pick some of the practices you believe are beneficial, and incorporate them into your life. Do not label your faith, just experience it.
Follow your heart.
and remember
"If you meet the buddha, kill the buddha"
"when the student is ready the teacher appears"
and above all else, follow your heart.
Sometimes you realize the teacher has been with you the whole time.

[edit on 11/6/2008 by psychedeliack]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Of course you should ask. Think About it. If their is a God should you want what he wants???? You be asking God God's paths to salvation. You cant ask your self because you cant grant salvation to others. Only God can do that.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Rock Lobster

I am in agreement with you, I have only recently actulaay looked into it aswell as other religions for research purposes, and felt out of all of them, this was me the one i was drawn to the most. Although that is partly due to the connections i have been making between the kundalini and epilepsy.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by slymattb
Of course you should ask. Think About it. If their is a God should you want what he wants???? You be asking God God's paths to salvation. You cant ask your self because you cant grant salvation to others. Only God can do that.

In reality however you (and others) have just told him to follow you. There are many gods to choose from- why should he choose yours above the others?

Frankidealist35.. do whatever you are comfortable with. If it feels "right" for you you have your answer. Asking us is like saying "should I eat apricot pie?". Some people hate apricots and will suggest you eat chocolate icecream instead but you might hate chocolate icecream. Only you can decide.

[edit on 15-11-2008 by riley]

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by riley
Asking us is like saying "should I eat apricot pie?". Some people hate apricots and will suggest you eat chocolate icecream instead but you might hate chocolate icecream. Only you can decide.

Just don't eat arsenic pie. That is really bad for you.

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
maybe thats why chefs aren't meant to eat their own creations.

top topics

join