It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Its Image. Computer That might prevent death in the future!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I would rather live, than live forever.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I got an interesting question for you all....

Wouldnt the introduction of atleast semi intelegent robots into society cause a serious economic problem. Even today without them many people all over the world can't find a job. Imagine what will happen when robots are introduced to the public. Shop keepers, bar owners, you name it would rather spend, i dont know $1000-$10,000 once and have a robot working for them and not have to worry about paying them ever again. Robots are a much eayer work force to maintain because they wouldn't have free will or the ablity to say no like humans do.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-in-AR

I've thought about this for some time and I've used neural-networks off and on myself. It is an interesting idea with regards to cheating death and disease or to enhance the human condition.

However given the fallen state of man what will really happen? In the worst case it will be skynet, but actually what I think will happen is the absolute mass enslavement of all of mankind. Once you are in the network, the global dictator, who bought the hardware and himself has transferred his consciousness will own you. He will have all the computation power and wealth at his disposal to do as he pleases. Humans and machine nodes will simply be his expendable servants.

I think something even more sinister will happen. Fallen spirits or devils will start to inhabit these machines, the ghost in the machine so to speak. This will be used for great evil.

Imagine though what such machines will be capable of? We could live in the frozen reaches of deep space without any harm to our bodies, since we won't have ones. As long as our machines run we will be fine. In fact there may be some profound advantages to bulding our network in cryogenically cold areas. It allows for many kinds of superconductive materials to be used.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
One thing I haven't heard yet it the problem of replacing a neuron. I've heard people say, we'll just replace the neuron with a nano-neuron! Well, first off that'd be hard by itself. The kicker is that real neurons have 1000's of dendrites that connect to other neurons, how do you plan on matching all those connections? Its stupid to think that you can.

Its funny how people don't seem to have the slightest idea of human anatomy or physiology. I've heard people talk about neurons turning "on" and "off" and how it could be translated to a cyber-human (whatever you want to call it) as binary 1s and 0s, not that simple. There's this thing that determines whether or not a neuron fires called an action potential. This happens through inhibitory and stimulatory signals, how would that be translated into your cyberhuman? Of course, no one seems actually interested in understanding the basics of the human brain yet you have no problems running your mouth off on how a cyberbrain that doesn't even exist would function.

Do people realize is that all it takes is a supernova or some other event to kill your "immortal" computer body?
A gun to the face might not kill you but a supernova would sure do the trick.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

It doesn't matter if the simulation is not perfect. Moreover given the size of the internet or a large supercomputer it would be childs play to have a single node connect to millions of other nodes. Your computer can already do this over the internet. This will become possible especially as we get into quantum computing, where the size of a neuron may be a few atoms.

The reason why it won't matter if we don't emulate it perfectly is that if we provide a complex enough interface to the human brain, the human will begin to integrate, in theory, the computer neural networks into his own consciousness. If the scope of that consciousness dwarfs his own, or makes it insignificant, then a type of immortality will be achieved. However the end result will be far different from any human consciousness, it will be truly alien.

Skynet may be not far off!

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
It's a mindblowing concept, but I'd choose to inhabit both entities so when my physical body died, I could gain further knowledge and experience of the whole process etc. I could always decide at a later date if and when to be 'turned off' as any pain associated with dying in the physical form wouldn't happen in the computer-constructed form.

...or would it?

...you could always edit that bit out. Wow, you could really start having some fun editing and changing senses and experiences.

I'm sold, where do I sign?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I am watching now ...

lets see

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
WOW!

This is really amazing and I wonder how many of these brains they have operational.... Did you see the website this guy's company has? They want you to download your feelings and store them for you...

You may have heard a lot recently about highly speculative schemes to attain life extension via download to computers. If you're like us, we doubt the plausibility of these approaches. We at In Its Image place all of our faith in the Creativity Machine paradigm as the natural vehicle for immortality and hope that through our educational outreach, you will too.
If you resonate with the idea of surviving death by combining with a neural matrix capable of contemplation and self-awareness, the Creativity Machine, we would definitely like to hear from you, if only to serve as moral support.
In the meantime, we need representatives around the world to begin spreading the word that a unique and exceptional form of artificial intelligence has been developed that promises to be the cure for death. If you are hopeful, drop us an email. Likewise, if you differ or even dissent, let us know too. We're not at all a dogmatic institution.

Fm initsimage.org

Now if some think that there is nothing wrong with this then I suggest you read the book "To Live Again" by Robert Silverberg. Covers this exact thing and how it cannot be trusted...

First published in 1969, this novel by one of the most prolific authors in the history of science fiction explores an idea that is truly "far out." Imagine a future world where death is not exactly the end. You can record everything about you that ever made you a distinct human being and then be implanted in the mind of someone living. Paul Kaufmann had been the richest and most powerful man on Earth. Imagine having his knowledge and insights integrated with your own persona. The tycoon's mind becomes the prize in a deadly game for those still living who want more out of life than they could ever achieve on their own. The great man's "soul" is stored in the Scheffing Institute, waiting for the time when someone hungry enough gives him back his appetite. Silverberg extrapolates as only he can from this intriguing premise. "To Live Again" is about a future where the dead are slaves to the living--until at last someone leads a rebellion.
fm www.fantasticfiction.co.uk

It was a scary read when I read the book in approx 1984. Now I see that it wasn't science fiction. I thought it seemed too plausible and unfiction like.

Art imitates life or vice versa.... there are too many coincidences going on in the media, movies and books. Too damn many...

Here's the link to the video on google in case it hasn't been replaced in the thread... LINK

[edit on 26-1-2009 by AllTiedTogether]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
When a real, creative, pattern recognizing, thinking machine comes into existence, it will not be long before humans are irrelevant. Sentimentality aside, I think that's a desirable outcome.

Originally posted by ghaleon12
One thing I haven't heard yet it the problem of replacing a neuron. I've heard people say, we'll just replace the neuron with a nano-neuron! Well, first off that'd be hard by itself. The kicker is that real neurons have 1000's of dendrites that connect to other neurons, how do you plan on matching all those connections? Its stupid to think that you can.

Its funny how people don't seem to have the slightest idea of human anatomy or physiology. I've heard people talk about neurons turning "on" and "off" and how it could be translated to a cyber-human (whatever you want to call it) as binary 1s and 0s, not that simple. There's this thing that determines whether or not a neuron fires called an action potential. This happens through inhibitory and stimulatory signals, how would that be translated into your cyberhuman? Of course, no one seems actually interested in understanding the basics of the human brain yet you have no problems running your mouth off on how a cyberbrain that doesn't even exist would function.

Do people realize is that all it takes is a supernova or some other event to kill your "immortal" computer body?
A gun to the face might not kill you but a supernova would sure do the trick.

It's all a question of numbers. Assuming the brain is purely physical, which I think is a pretty good assumption, If you can simulate one neuron, you can simulate a whole brain (maybe not a particular brain; scanning every neuron's connection to every other neuron would be all kinds of hell to do.) , you just need proportionally more power. And, well, brains aren't getting any more complicated, but machines are getting more powerful. If it can be done all, it shouldn't take too long. Maybe a few thousand times more processing power than we can currently build?

And while being backed up in a machine isn't real immortality, it's fairly close. You can make multiple constantly updating copies and maintain them far enough apart that it would take an incredible coincidence to destroy them all. If you're just information, there's no need to be in just one machine.

sty

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
a very interesting link on the subject, if you are interested in the "other side" of the trans-humanism..

link

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
im sorry but i do not see any of this even being viable until your species has mastered quantum computing, until then this is nothing but a pipe dream,
You have at least another century to wait

sty

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AmmonSeth

your? haha, what are you then?

well, back to the subject: the evolution is accelerating, this is the point. Do you remember the genome project? it was told to be a stupid idea as the volume of required computing power was way above our resources. Yet, the logarithmic increase of the processing power made it possible to finish most of the project within the last few years of the project. Now the challenge is to sequence the DNA of one person with under 1000 $ . Same with quantum computing: we already have the first very basic "transistors" if we can call them this way , i do not see why we would need 100 years to develop them . rather I would say "no more than 50 years, possible 30 years" . It is simply impossible to anticipate in the range of 100 years as the Artificial Intelligence can change the world we live at a faster rate than our human capacity can. We already work with evolutive computing to create airplanes for commercial use (Airbus) - and this could not be done by Aerodynamics engineers using traditional methods. And this is really the birth of the AI applications for industry!

[edit on 27-1-2009 by sty]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
MODS PLEASE CHECK THE VID!! it takes you to a music video entitled 'J*ZZ in my pants

I THINK THE VIDEO THE 'OP' POSTED HAS BEEN RICKROLLED.

a person provides a Web link that he or she claims is relevant to the topic at hand, but the link actually takes the user to the Astley video. The URL can be masked or obfuscated in some manner so that the user cannot determine the true source of the link without clicking. When a person clicks on the link and is led to the web page, he or she is said to have been "Rickrolled" (also spelled Rickroll'd).
Wiki- rick rolling

I know the OP didn't do it obviously, because evryone here has seen the video he posted, so something/someone else has been screwing around.

I would really like to see this video! to get soOOOoo many damn flags and stars, it must be worth a watch!

Can anyone tell me the actual name of the original vid so i can track it down?

Thanx in advance

AoN

[edit on 27-1-2009 by Anomic of Nihilism]

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Anomic of Nihilism

Here is the link to the 30min video of Steve Thaler "In Its Image"

Two lines

Rgds

sty

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
i wanted to post a video on the subject, however this is another way of understanding the issue:

Google Video Link

sty

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
here is a play list with 32 videos on the subject:

youtube link

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I just got jizz rolled!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
WOW i cant wait.

What a wonderfullllllll woooorrrrrlllld!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AllTiedTogether

Thanks alot dude. When I first clicked the OP link I wa like what ws this thread a huge joke then realized that her post predated the Jizz my pants vid.... HAHA yes detective work.

Great vid this in its image.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by sty
reply to post by AmmonSeth

i do not see why we would need 100 years to develop them . rather I would say "no more than 50 years, possible 30 years" . It is simply impossible to anticipate in the range of 100 years as the Artificial Intelligence can change the world we live at a faster rate than our human capacity can.

Very well, maybe you will be capable of constructing the 'circuitry' of a quantum computer, however you will not be able to use one without the aid of a semi(if not fully)sentient A.I. or V.I., These are what will take you that century to create

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join