It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Ghosts are not Real

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
The title is a bit abrupt and my motives behind it is to grasp your attention as to why ghosts might not be real.

If ghosts or spirits are real why aren't there reported sightings all over NYC after 9/11. Shouldn't the old WTC ruins be completely amassed with ghosts?

Why is it there are places that are haunted in particular when there are death tolls in the thousands in certain places where there does not seem to be any residual or conscious hauntings?

Shouldn't there be ghosts everywhere given the amount of people that have died throughout history on this planet?

Why is it always humans that haunt and not animals? Don't they have the same biological functions.

Some questions that need answers before I can begin to consider the possibility seriously......

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

Thank you for your compliance and understanding.

[edit on 10/22/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
But you really want to though, huh? Lots of emotion in your post. And yeah, stuff happens that cannot ever be explained by corporal laws.

Edit and animal ghosts do exist. A family ghost story...St. Bernard walking around a Swiss Mountain Cabin...of course they exist.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Soulstone

Because people want ghosts to be real, because it adds a sense of mystery to the world, and possibly because it gives them hope in life after death. No-one who believes in ghosts does so rationally, because there is as much evidence for ghosts as there is for Santa Claus - yet we scoff at adults who believe in Santa.

Just wait - people will chime in with half-assed hypotheses based on absolutely nothing to explain away this awfully damning logical analysis, to allow themselves to continue to believe in something as unfounded as the Tooth Fairy.

If you want to consider the possibility seriously, wait for actual evidence conducted in a controlled environment. Photos, no matter how awesomely realistic they look, do not constitute evidence. They are enough to pique one's interest, and even the interest of actual scientists, but they are not actual evidence. We demand evidence of the effectiveness of drugs before we use them, but some folks simply accept ghosts to exist, without so much as a hair of evidence.

Good work Soulstone!

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

You say that with such conviction, yet I bet if I asked you to provide evidence (and not anecdotal evidence - for that is not evidence), you'd fail.

So, please cough up this evidence, where people have registered readings on multiple occasions on multiple instruments in a controlled environment. "My <relative/friend/aquaintance> said they once saw a <human/animal/David Icke> ghost" is not evidence. An interesting story, yes, but not evidence.

[edit on 28/8/08 by dave420]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave420
So, please cough up this evidence, where people have registered readings on multiple occasions on multiple instruments in a controlled environment.

I wish I could hon, because I know it would soothe your mind. Just realize, it is not hidden, it is before your eyes. And it does not matter if you curse it for the rest of your days, it is all good. : )

I know that sounds all new age, it isn't meant to be. Ask and perhaps you will see. : )

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   

An anecdotal story isn't before your eyes at all.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   

So you accept you have no evidence for ghosts at all, yet you still claim they exist? Do you see your stance on ghosts is somewhat delusional? You have absolutely no rational reason to believe in them, yet you do.

I'm not being rude, I'm just trying to figure out why a grown human being would waste energy and effort on a phenomenon that has to yet be demonstrated to anyone. I hope you don't treat other facets of your life with such slap-dash reasoning

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Just wondering... Do you believe in God?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Seriously....all I can say is openly ask to be shown. Dare the universe to show you inexplicable things. Do it.

And if your goal is to take it into a lab and make yourself famous, well, that is truly mislead. Ask to have your reality changed, ask to see beyond the veil, and maybe you will.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Lebowski achiever

Me, no.

Dave on the other hand? I think I can speak safely. No. Based on his other posts.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soulstone
Me, no.
Dave on the other hand? I think I can speak safely. No. Based on his other posts.

Yeah, cause he is a totally different person.

So, prove you are a different person than Dave. Prove you are not Dave and maybe I will prove ghosts exist.

I think that is more than fair. : )

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Why does wanting to become famous for it or bring it into a lab impede the ability or make you mislead? If it is real. It should be able to be seen under scientific settings. It's just a cop out for all those coming on the forums and claiming amazing abilities. Abeit, some of the people here may be psychic. I know if I've had some unusual experiences. Uri Geller became famous off his ability and was tested in scientific settings. I know Dave will probably disagree. But I think Uri is legit. So why can't ghosts be proven legitimately?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by dave420

I totally disagree with this statement ...

'No-one who believes in ghosts does so rationally'.

I do !

But I agree with the other points you make. No-one should believe in ghosts unless they have firsthand experience and only then when all alternative possibilities have been ruled out.

Ghost most definately DO exist and I say that with full rationality.

But don't believe until you 'know' for yourself ! Woody

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Ok..just checking.
Anyway, I believe in ghosts. Reason is... I have experienced too many things I cannot explain which seem to be caused by a sentient being. Of course, if you believe TAPS there are ghost which are more like recordings and ghosts that are aware of their surroundings. I have never seen one but I have felt one sit on my bed.. Very scary. I know that may not be enough for you but it is all I can offer you. There are too many people I know and trust who have had experiences which convinces me that there is something out there.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Ghosts are a hard subject to define. Having studied this phenomenon and having experiences myself I can say that ghosts do exist.

Not all ghosts are created through a violent act. Some murder victims won't automatically become ghosts. It apparently is a personal matter. Whether or not the person realizes they are dead, accepts their own death or has unfinished business here on earth. Some victims won't leave until the ones culpable are brought to justice.

Some seek out those that they have been wronged by, others seek more comfortable settings. Ghosts aren't bound by the place where they died.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Just ask the mods for my IP and Daves....there we go a scientifically legit way to test this "phenomena".

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I think we can go around and around all day about whether or not they exist and not really get anywhere.
I've experienced things that I would call haunting's, things that cannot be explained away. I've experienced things that turned hard core skeptics into believers.

I sincerely mean this in the friendliest way possible: whether you believer or not doesn't change the fact that I continue to believe. I cannot explain ghostly phenomenon nor can I explain why there aren't more happenings, as was brought up in the first post.

But there will always be those who don't need an explanation, and those who won't accept one.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Lebowski achiever

As Soulstone has rightfully pointed out - no. I'm not a believer in anything that can't be repeatedly demonstrated to me. And you'd think someone as all-powerful as God would at least leave some trace on existence.

I've done that. I've dared the universe to really sock it to me. And guess what - I have seen some really, really weird stuff. All kinds of weird. I've seen figures, I've seen shapes, I've seen lights moving, I've seen all kinds of stuff. However, logic dictates I don't make up my own explanation, nor do I adopt someone else's explanation, without solid evidence. Evidence is what got you every single technological advance you use in your life, and yet some feel it perfectly acceptable to discard that notion of required evidence when it suits their presumptions of the universe, whether they are based on guesses, or a desire for something greater to exist.

I'm not attacking you - I'm attacking irrational beliefs.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soulstone
If it is real. It should be able to be seen under scientific settings.

Hon, some things cannot be explained. Does it mean they do not exist? I have no clue about the order of things. I just know even the least loyal can ask and they will be answered.

Yeah I know that for a fact. So ask. And be amazed. And then try to explain it to others on the internet. : )

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

But WHY!? Why must the ghosts do the most absurd, irrational thing and stay around? Think! If it was you, you wouldn't do that. You wouldn't just stay there constantly and wait for some pimply nosed teenagers to come around ghost hunting.

Not realize they are dead? What the hell kind of argument is that. Of course you know when your dead.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join