It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officials may evacuate New Orleans as Gustav nears

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Officials may evacuate New Orleans as Gustav nears

news.yahoo.com

NEW ORLEANS - National Guard troops stand ready, batteries and water bottles are selling briskly, and one small-town mayor has spent a sleepless night worrying. The New Orleans area is skittishly watching as a storm marches across the Caribbean on the eve of Hurricane Katrina's third anniversary.
With forecasters warning that a strengthening Gustav could slam into the Gulf Coast as a major hurricane, a New Orleans still recovering from Hurricane Katrina's devastating hit drew up evacuation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Well, if they screw it up THIS time, EVERYBODY is going to be watching. Oil rigs have been put on Alert. National Guard troops on deck. And one storm, gathering strength.

Lets watch closely now, shall we?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Time for a new flat screen and some nice furnature. I guess I'll head down for the weekend and pick a few things up.

mikell

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
If something like this happens, I hope that people finally learn that you cant build a city on the water and under sea level. At the risk of sounding cold and heartless, they get whats coming to them.

You wouldnt plant corn in the desert,
or trees on the beach.
You wouldnt put a bird in a fish tank.
and if you care about your family,
you shouldnt put them in a fish bowl either.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Its a little frustrating when people act like New Orleans was the only one hit by Hurricane Katrina. There were towns in Mississippi and Alabama essentially wiped off the map. It shouldn't matter what city had the most deaths. One should be too many.

Gustav could hit anywhere from Galveston, Texas to Panama City, Florida. No matter where it hits, people are going to lose their lives and their valuables.

New Orleans isn't the only coastal city with people who's lives should mean something to others. These other places have been hit with big hurricanes in the past too. $9 billion or $90 billion in damages, 20 deaths or 2,000, to the people who went through it, its all the same, and should be treated as such.

Now, here are some updated projections, storm tracks, and watches and warnings:

There is a High Pressure in the Gulf of Mexico right now. I don't know how long it's going to be there. I'm no weather expert, but I believe Gustav will go around it if the High Pressure is still there by the time Gustav gets there.

High Pressure systems spin clockwise, which means it could drive Gustav in to the Texas-Louisiana border area.

Any weather experts here? How far off am I?

Maps courtesy of Weather.com

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Good post NOM, thank you for doing so.
I think, in light of your views, that the focus on New Orleans comes about strictly due to the failure of FEMA during the Katrina storm. Katrina, too, battered and trashed much more than just N.O., but, the incredible failure that took place makes these current decisions more sensational (is that the word I'm looking for?)

Cuhail

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
NATIONAL GUARD???

What are they involved already?

I guess both the local and state government dropped the ball AGAIN!

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
mocked unicorn, i just moved back to new orleans from phoenix, and i can tell you that in that desert of arizona, there were many many fields with row upon row of bright, yellow, healthy corn! And yeah, i moved away from here (N.O.) 8 years ago. all my friends where like "why are you leaving?" to which i replied "im not buyin a house here, this place is gonna flood one day"..... it was true then, and as sea levels rise it becomes more true each year. We are currently i believe about 20' under sea level. I was watching a show on discover the other day showin a manhattan size chunk falling off the northern polar caps, and they said that piece falling off made it likely that a massive shelf would seperate in the next few years, and they estimated the dramatic effects of this much ice breaking away and changing the thermal currents would raise the sea levels by up to 40' worldwide over the next decade....that would put N.O. at 60' under sea level!!! aaaaagggghhhh!!! Im just here for a year or two. Jobs dont pay enough here anyway. The cost of living here is actually a bit higher than atlanta or phoenix (ive lived in both) and yet the pay across the board is about 1/2.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MockedUnicorn
If something like this happens, I hope that people finally learn that you cant build a city on the water and under sea level. At the risk of sounding cold and heartless, they get whats coming to them.

Don't tell that to the Dutch though. Living 3 metres under sea level here and not nervous about drowning. About 2/3 of all property of the country is below sea level andwhen well managed it is not a problem.

Anyway, hope all goes well in New Orleans.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
If they evacuate New Orleans once again you can expect the crime rate in surrounding cities to skyrocket, AGAIN!

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gypsss
looks like maybe more forming?

Looks like a one two three punch! We now have TS Hanna east of the Bahamas that looks like it is headed to Eastern Florida although it might go up the east coast of the US. The storm system in the far west Gulf of Mexico has me concerned as well. I have been watching these storms form for the last week or two and I am very concerned about these storms strenghtining in the warm Gulf and Gulf Stream. I would defineatly have an emergency kit ready and preparations for property protection and evacuation well planned out. The next 3 days will give us a lot more information. There will be a US hurricane landfall within a week. Will there be three?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
It is pretty strange. If you look at the radar (ACTUAL RADAR) there is hardly any indication of a hurricane. Very little activity. Conspiracy to increase gas prices?

www.accuweather.com...

[edit on 28-8-2008 by SailorinAZ]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
NATIONAL GUARD???

What are they involved already?

I guess both the local and state government dropped the ball AGAIN!

What on earth are you talking about? The National Guard never left.

And must you remember that the governor of every state has a right to call up their National Guard? Florida does the same. Mississippi does the same. Its the way it works. Please don't dramatize the situation. The ball cannot be dropped until something happens in the first place.

--

If all goes according to the plans set forth already by state and local officials, everything is in place to evacuate many of the people who would not otherwise be able to leave on their own. State of Emergency has already been declared by Gov. Jindal, which is a definite step ahead compared to Blanco who did not.

Everything is being done as well as can be for a storm that is not definitely coming here.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by pexx421

"I was watching a show on discover the other day showin a manhattan size chunk falling off the northern polar caps, and they said that piece falling off made it likely that a massive shelf would seperate in the next few years, and they estimated the dramatic effects of this much ice breaking away and changing the thermal currents would raise the sea levels by up to 40' worldwide over the next decade....that would put N.O. at 60' under sea level!!! aaaaagggghhhh!!!"

If you have a glass of water with ice cubes in it and the ice melts, the level of water in your cup does not get any higher. The same amount of water that was on earth a million years ago is still here.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SailorinAZ
reply to post by pexx421

"I was watching a show on discover the other day showin a manhattan size chunk falling off the northern polar caps, and they said that piece falling off made it likely that a massive shelf would seperate in the next few years, and they estimated the dramatic effects of this much ice breaking away and changing the thermal currents would raise the sea levels by up to 40' worldwide over the next decade....that would put N.O. at 60' under sea level!!! aaaaagggghhhh!!!"

If you have a glass of water with ice cubes in it and the ice melts, the level of water in your cup does not get any higher. The same amount of water that was on earth a million years ago is still here.

Yes but, if the ice is on land and not already in the water and that ice melts that would contribute to a rising of the sea levels. If the ocean rose 40 feet I would have to get a boat as i would only have half a mile of road to drive my car on. Thankfully is is another 200 feet higher at least.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
yeah sailor, its not just a matter of some water in the ocean turnin to ice. They were sayin in the show not only how that will be a large amount of extra water being added in, but that much PURE water will have effects on the salinity of the ocean, which in turn will affect the thermal currents in the ocean. This change in the thermals would have effects on the currents that now bring warmth to places like europe, and would effect the temperatures in those areas, it would cause great increases in precipitation etc, and have many dynamic effects on the water systems in the world, and THIS is what would cause changes in the water level, not just some ice in the water.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
if the sea gets less salty lets add more salt its worth a shot

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I have been activated, so I will not be on ATS very much until this over. Pray that it does not hit any major populated areas, especially New Orleans. The Guard has been scrambled all over the state for various missions, including security. I really hope this blows over, I would like to get back to college. I had just started my first week of my second year.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Yup.......News at the Police Dept out here was get ready to pack waders and M4s. No joke...I hope it hits us and no NOLA. I really do. Those poor people down there are getting it in a bad way.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join