It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three Strange Nights in Nova Scotia, Canada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Near the end of our summer trip out to Canada's East coast, we stayed for 1 week in the southern shore, near Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. We rented a remote cottage for the family (I can provide the lat/long).

Between Tuesday the 19th and Thursday 21 we had some, as of yet, unexplained sightings.

The images I was able to capture were done with a Canon Digital Rebel XTi with a 300mm zoom. Images were captured using manual focus (as best as possible) and Av. Exposure times were automatically set based on widest aperture available at 300mm. ISO 1600. Times were from 4-5.5 sec. f/4.5-5.6
These are available as 10Mb RAW 3888x2592 if necessary. The images I have here, (and the ones I've given MUFON) are JPG, which were brightened slightly. Exposure and shadows were tweaked also (at RAW 16bit) , but no curves. Metadata in file should confirm
The first night was the most impressive, as an extremely bright orange sphere appeared S-SE low above the horizon during 9:45pm-> 20mins. The object was stationary,and far too bright to be a distant trauler or cruise ship. We have seen those vessels at night, and know the difference.

There are no drilling platforms in this area also. We have fished these waters also, and know the area. There is nothing producing a light of this magnitude out there. The object dimmed slowly to nothing, then a few minutes later brightened again. Later, dimmed and we went off to bed.

Night 2 - no blazing objects, but a pair of unusual "stars" st the same elevation, low on the horizon caught our eye as they wer'nt recogniseable. They suddenly started moving towards each other , crossed paths and carried on off the the E/W horizons out of sight. I have a picture of this, which shows the objects moving during the exposure. Note, these seemed to show colour matching object from previous night

Night 3 - a clearer night, no moon at this time, so stars were extremely vivid. High altitude jets were visaible with tell-tale lights and slow steady movement across E/W over head. I had the lens (28-80mm) set to 28mm, pointing straight up to try and capture the star field and milky way (which it did fairly well). An object flashed across the sky, crossing the horizon overhead in about 3sec. On-off, On-off, etc. If this was a satellite, what moves that fast? Anyway, the exposure did pick up the trail of the dim flash, and is available. Not as exciting as the the night 1 pics, but still very unusual. Meteor? Don't think so. Yes, we saw some great shooting stars those nights, didn't move, flash or look like this at all.

Well, hopefully this sparks a little interest! Apologies if the pics are not attached as I intended. I am figuring this out.

Thanks

[edit on 27-8-2008 by ReadyforChange]

www.mufoncms.com...
www.mufoncms.com...
www.mufoncms.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">
www.mufoncms.com...

[edit on 27-8-2008 by ReadyforChange]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ReadyforChange

can you please sort the image link ???

i would love to see the pics.

snoopyuk

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   

thanks for sharing your story and i am looking forward to seeing the pictures,

check your u2u message box, i sent you some basic info to help you upload the pictures.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Ok, links to the 3- JPGs I uploaded to MUFON from night 1 are available in post 1 above now.

I only filed the report from night 1. Three images maximum with MUFON.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
You are not the only one in Canada seeing things.

Did your images look like this?

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   

i did see your report on Mufon, i believe yesterday and it was very interesting !

that is a strange looking orb/light or whatever it is...

i think you got yourself a UFO ...good job

maybe some other members will have a closer inspection of the photo's

thanks again for sharing this with us

gave you a star and flag

[edit on 27-8-2008 by easynow]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Thanks.

I am looking forward to alternate explanations, and requests to see the RAW data.

There are other shots in the sequence too, but as I said, 3 max on MUFON.

The JPGs were created at moderately-high quality settings (7/10) but kept at maximum size pixels. A very quick RAW conversion too, didn't spend hours fiddling with curves etc..
Looking forward to more replies...

PS: To seawolf, yes, kinda looks like our sighting. Obviously last segment of video looks out-of focus though. Where is Prospect Bay in relation?

PPS: Our object reminds me of the description from the famous Shag Harbour incident which is not too far from where we were.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
To be honest, it looks like a picture of the setting sun as I notice the sky on the horizon in your photos is brighter (orangish) around the object and on and along the horizon as it would be during sunset(especially in the 2nd and 3rd photo). Its hard to believe a UFO would be so bright as to cause that.
But I am no expert so if it is truly a UFO big thumbs up to you.

[edit on 27-8-2008 by QBSneak000]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by QBSneak000
To be honest, it looks like a picture of the setting sun as I notice the sky on the horizon in your photos is brighter (orangish) around the object and on and along the horizon as it would be during sunset. Its hard to believe a UFO would be so bright as to cause that.
But I am no expert so if it is truly a UFO big thumbs up to you.

Agreed! Incredibly bright/. However sunset (today) is ~ 7:58pm in the West.This was just last week, so sunset was a little earlier. This was 9:43pm + 20mins in the S-SE. Also, we are looking through a 300mm zoom lens here (which is actually 1.6x larger when applied to a digital CMOS making it equal to 480mm zoom on standard film) . Naked eye observation was closer to size of a round pin-head at arms length. Not the same angular size of the sun anyway.

Also, Metadata should show a 3-hour earlier time for these shots( I'm from Calgary, AB vacationing in Nova Scotia - so +3 hour time change)

Hope this helps.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
That's a ufo orb/willow the wisp/foo fighter call it what you will. A life form that is out there right now, great stuff, this life's amazing.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Here's a picture I took of the moon in Mexico on my honeymoon last April. This was with a simple 7mp digital camera using the night photo setting. Notice the similarities of the brightness and the effect on the sky and horizon. Im not saying that your photo is a picture of the moon. I believe you that it was some weird object. Just wanted to play devils advocate and show a similar photo.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
At this scale, yes, your moon photo has similar pixel size to the UFO shots.

Focus wise, your foreground is (mostly) in focus - the moon is out of. Notice on picture 1, the large fuzzy vertical line - this is an out-of focus swing chain (in my foreground) I was shooting in front of.

This picture of yours is very similar to an "as-seen" shot, (not too much zooming at all). The UFO we saw would be minuscule if placed besides the moon on this shot for example.

Also, the amount of reflected light the moon gives off is tremendous over the water - the UFO showed very little reflection (some though) - which could be an indicator of the size.

Also, speaking of the moon, we were seeing full to last quarter moon over that week, it was in the process of rising far to the east (far left in shots).

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   

I agree, my camera and photographic skills suck
Yeah, I noticed that your orb didn't cast a reflection on the water. Weird. I wonder if this phenomenon is still being seen from time to time there. My sister lives in Sidney so I'll ask her if she has seen anything odd over the last coupe of weeks and to keep her eyes peeled and camera ready.

top topics

join