It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goblin Shark caught on Video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I just thought I'd share this strange video I have just come across with you:

Gobl in Shark Video

Let me know what you think of this dude (& please flag if you think others would like to see it).

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
interesting video at first it looked kinda fake but it quickly changes. nice find now if only we had someone to trnaslate what they were saying in the video.....

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Wowsers, that ain't a shark, it's a fricken Alien!
The way it's jaw extendds... yeesh... and it's actually worse looking from underneath than from above. Gnarly looking dude.

It is odd, though, two rare sharks, two years, off of Japan. Cool though.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

That is going to give me nightmares. It is like out of Alien the Motion Picture or soemthing.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

I read about those sharks in books when I was a kid - thanks for the footage! They're one of the weirdest sharks out there, along with the Megamouth. I love sharks. Fascinating creatures.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

All sharks' jaws move like that, but because of the shape of the shark's head, you can see the movement of the jaw really well. They have to do that because their jaws are situated on the bottom of their heads, and their snouts (that hold the main prey-detecting sensory organs - the nose, ampulae de lorenzini, and eyes) gets in the way of a frontal attack.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
scorpionxx: there must be a Japanese speaker on ATS. I'll see what I can do.

dave420: thanks for the knowledgeable comments from an anatomical perspective.

I have to say that I still find this clip pretty mind-boggling. RuneSpider & pluckynoonez seemed to put into words what hits you between the eyes: this sucker has a party trick that's right off the scale.

Mind you the inhabitants of the deep seem to have a tendency to try and freak you out. The Sid Vicious (what's the plural?) of the animal kingdom.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
the audio and video quality here is twice as good
its not so muffled
www.bofunk.com...
i am working on translating it now. hold on pureeze... thanks

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
This is the best I can do, I havent heard japanese in a year or two but I think its close enough:narration of the tape

"In this staff tape one can see the goblin shark attacking and biting. The mouth is suddenly stretched

coming completely out. To this end, the hand was put in front of the camera to be gripped.
Puzzlingly to him the shark can not penetrate the whole diving suit.
Ordinarily, the diver doesn't feel a thing.
Summing up, finding it tasteless the shark turns and goes back to where he came from, not stopping

for what was unimportant.
It was an additional month going across to find the welcome phantom shark,
To us after seeing just one fish, the coarseness of the travel faded away"

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Reply to Chris

Well done that man!!

And thanks.

I found the last bit the most enlightening - it took them a month's searching to find the thing. This must be absolutely unique footage.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
スタッフの手にゴブリンシャークが噛みついたのだ
口を飛び出しあの悪魔の姿が現れた
それはカメラから逃げようとするゴブリンシャークの前に不用意に手をだした瞬間だった。
細く尖った歯がダイビングスイツに食い込んで食い込んで、離れない
ただ歯は細く痛みを感じなかった。ようやく歯を外すとまた大人しい姿に戻り、何事もなかった
ように泳ぎだした。数ヶ月に渡って探し続けた幻のサメ。私たちに一瞬だけその素顔を見せた後、
海底谷の闇の中へと消えていった。

rough tr:

a goblin shark bits personnels' hand!
a mouth jumps into the picture and this demons shape appears.
While Goblin shark is Running away from the camera,
the careless personels hand gets in the way. Fine and sharp
teeth bites the diving suit and doesn't let go. The guy doesnt
feel the fine/thin teeth. Finally shark takes off the teeth
from the hand and returns to a quiet(normal) form.
As if nothing happened, the shark swims away.
For several months the search for the maboroshi no same has been continuing.
After only showing itself to us this one time, the shark
escaped to the deep dark "submarine canyon/valley.

[edit on 31-8-2008 by inthemistandfog]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by inthemistandfog

Hey, that's great! Thanks for putting in so much effort to clarify what was being said. (I presume the translations differ partly due to the gulf between English & Japanese and partly because the previous translator admitted to being a little rusty.

During number of months the shark kept exposing itself/swimming around.

I suppose that means there had been other people who'd seen it (or continued seeing it) before they got there.

Thanks again.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

During number of months the shark kept exposing itself/swimming around.

I suppose that means there had been other people who'd seen it (or continued seeing it) before they got there.

Lets fix that sentence. it says saga#suzuketa, not sara#suzuketa, so the sentence turns out: For several months the search for the maboroshi no same has been continuing.

Coincidentally, I found something fresh from google too:

Japan's television channel NHK showed a document(50mins) on this "phantom/dream shark" (maboroshi no same) just about 9 hours ago!

www.nhk.or.jp...

The description mentions that it is a rare shark that has been spotted in deep waters near guiana, surinam and also southeast to australia. Almost everything about the shark is still unknown.. well, there are more info on it on wikipedia en.wikipedia.org...

So now it apparently has inhabited more the deep waters near tokyo bay, and the japanese are after it with cameras..

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
haha my word !
translating is funny..
the 3 go from good to better to awesome lol
mine being good for the first one but its funny to see the progression.
yeah i am focusing on korean so my japanese is def on a conersationally fluent level only right now, not like the best for watching documentaries. hence dictionary reliant. anyway just wanted tos ay glad i could help till someone else got in with the details. i just am amused seeing how
'the hand is placed in front to be gripped'
evolve to
'the hand gets in the way, the teeth bites, '
lol
language is fun ^_^
let me know if uw ant some help i think it was close enuff to allow me to offer my services again. just will take more time on it next time i was hurrying too. ok bi bi ^^

[edit on 15/9/2008 by chris_stibrany]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
that jaw thing reminds me of the Alien movies.

wicked lookin

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Ah man that is scary! *shivers*
Very nice footage though, definatly not something you see everyday... Thankfully. ;p

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Nice footage.. I guess this might be different from other sharks.. b'cos normally when a shark attacks it closes its eyes using a protective membrane. This is pretty instinctive behavior of sharks. They are very sensitive about their eyes but in this footage I dont see it closing its eyes other than a change in form of its face (I mean the facial muscle twisting forward).

new topics

top topics

join