It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legalize all drugs.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2003 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I believe that all drugs should be legalized. By this I mean everything, not just cannibus. First the drugs would lose their illegal factor, people who were using them just to get back at their parents would stop using and go on to bigger things like: the silent treatment and not returning phone calls. Second, many drug related deaths result from impurities and badly made drugs. If the drugs could be regulated and made by licensed companies then there would be no impurities and faults in the drug. While everything is illegal there is no system to make sure that the dealers aren't giving you something that will kill you instantly rather than over a series of years. If there were legal companies that were supervised by the government then there would be no gangs fighting over their dealing territory, no drug lords that order death with a snap of their fingers. Third, It would destroy organized crime's hold over drugs, inner-cities and youth. It would destroy one of their main revenue sources. If you are quick to dimiss that, consider this: During the prohibition the Mafia was making and smuggling alchohol much like they are doing today with drugs. The law had little influence on them and they bribed many policemen and government officials, does this sound familiar to something happening today. Once alchohol was legalized the Mob lost their hold on it, it was government regulated and through this the government could earn revenue by taxing it. I do not advocate the use of drugs or tobacco, but I do think that cost of life would be far less in my vision than in the world today. I do not think it will happen because it would harm the tobacco companies (), drug lords (who have an influence on the government), and the religous right of america (who have a strong influence on the government) doesnt like it. Just a thought.

XAOS

posted on Jan, 11 2003 @ 12:38 PM
link   
So you want it to be legal to smoke pot? Or use heroin?

posted on Jan, 11 2003 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Bad idea. Stupid people use substances to alter their perception without realizing the side effects of the drug, and some people who know of the side effect either ignore it or rationalize it away.
Take Ecstacy, for example. A new study at Johns Hopkins university has determined that even a one time use of the drug kills braincells that is responsible for dopamine, a neurotransmitter that controls movement, emotion and cognitive response. Most people don't bargain for this side effect, but then again, people using street drugs aren't rational thinking enough to realize these things might be occuring, whether or not a university bothers to do a study.
The harm caused by such drugs as coc aine and heroin are self-evident after years of people playing the guinnea pig, and the damage is done whether or not the substance is pure or cut with other harmful substances as they are a stand-alone danger.

But hey, if you are wealthy enough to be self-insured and can pay for the care you'll need after you scorch through your braincells and cause irepairable damge to the rest of your body, go right ahead if you want. Live-in nurses need jobs, too.

posted on Jan, 11 2003 @ 02:58 PM
link   
wtf r u thinkin society wud just get more screwed up than it already is

posted on Jan, 11 2003 @ 03:19 PM
link   
How about no, Ya crazy dutch bastard. Legalizing pot wouldn't be so bad considering it's affects arent' any more drastic than alcohol. But when you give someone crack coc aine they become unaware of everything, so if a cracked out person shoots you what's their plee going to be...that the government allowed them alter their counsciousness so there isn't any crime?

posted on Jan, 11 2003 @ 03:44 PM
link   

So you want it to be legal to smoke pot? Or use heroin?

I do not approve of using drugs, but people are already doing it, with no regard for the law. If the U.S. Government could tax them, produce them, and provide care for the addicts and ODers then perhaps the drugs wouldn't kill as many people.

Stupid people use substances to alter their perception without realizing the side effects of the drug, and some people who know
of the side effect either ignore it or rationalize it away.

There are safety warnings on packs of tobacco yet people continue to smoke them with no regard for their heath. I just think that it is hypocrytical for the government to prosecute drugs and drug users but yet welcome tobacco with open arms. If you look at the effects of tobacco then you would see that it is just as bad as other drugs.

they are a stand-alone danger...

So are tobacco and alcohol, yet are they illegal?

if you are wealthy enough to be self-insured and can pay for the care you'll need...

This is exactly my point, rich people use their drugs, then send themselves to rehab and detox with no regard for the cost. they get out and go straight back to using. What about those that cannot pay for detox? those unfortunates who have no access to help, and end up shriveled in the gutter, selling themselves for one last fix.

wtf r u thinkin society wud just get more screwed up than it already is

What I am thinking is that this would get rid of the dealers who kill for turf. The whole gangsta movement is due to dealers who gave guns and drugs to children and told them to protect their turf. Would society really become worse if there were no gangs, no teenage prostitutes selling themselves, etc.? I think not.

Listen, I want you to think past what has been imprinted in your mind by DARE and other anti-drug movements and consider a world that I described in my first posting.

If you have problems with my ideas please read my first post and decide if your problem is deat with there, I don't want to repeat myself, Please?

XAOS

posted on Jan, 11 2003 @ 03:58 PM
link   
They should stay illegal,making them legal would just make it easier for more young teens to use them. By having the USA produce them we would basicly be helping drug lords.

posted on Jan, 11 2003 @ 11:06 PM
link   
there are a lot of drugs that aren't scheduled that you can do that are much much more potent and generally crazier than anything you can get from a crack house in the ghetto.

basically what i'm trying to say, is that you can trip balls hardcore and not touch the law.

well, i'm sure it's sketchy no matter what. if anyone decides to do these drugs, "do them responsibly" and don't get them banned.

posted on Jan, 11 2003 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Hmmm, as ive done a lot of heavy drug use the past year, ill make this my first topic to post to.

Ive been to raves, rock and goth clubs, squat parties and a hell of a load of other places. At each ive done one or more of the following:

Ketamine
Coke
Speed
Pills (and everything in them, in seperate form)
Acid
Weed
Salvia
Mescaline

And yanno something? Im glad ive quit. Legalising ALL drugs is not one problem i wanna see in the future. Ive been on my bad trips, ive had my nasty times, my panic attacks and hospital visits - and that was on the 'good' stuff, the 'pure' stuff. Legalizing them wont help alleviate any problem.

The problem with drug dealers is theyll find something else to sell. Itll be dangerous and itll get people hooked. Itll be unknown, little research on it, whatever - and youll get the exact same problem. People calling for legalization.

Opium was legalized in China once, no?

Just one good example..

Kids will always take drugs. Its an easy way out, an escape - i know, ive been there. Drown out your sorrows with a little pill. Cheap and easy. Inner cities are NOT the nicest of places to live, industrial towns, old mill towns and run down, crime filled cess pools - youll always find drugs there. Legal or not.

Another problem with drugs such as speed and coke, is the mental issues that follow. Paranoia, psychosis, etc. They arent nice and legalised, you can expect to see an increase in these sort of problems from users.

Believe me, a drunk swinging a few punches is nowhere near as nasty as someone on PCP or Coke.

I hope im making sense, i tend not to when ive been awake for so many hours.

~Sniff

[Edited on 1-12-2003 by Sniff]

posted on Jan, 12 2003 @ 12:22 AM
link   
i'm probably just in denial or something (most likely stupid) and i'm gonna get hounded on but i hate when people say i use drugs to escape from problems in life. i've used a couple different drugs but mostly just because i love the experience of being in my own strange but awesome world. when i say that people all say "so you use drugs to escape the world" i'm like "no i don't. i just like the experience."

did they make 2c t 7 illegal yet? or stuff with dmt?

salvia is good and there are plenty of legal alternatives, but it doesn't mean they are safe at all.

ravers are tools.

forgot what i was gonna say, i'm going to bed

posted on Jan, 12 2003 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Oh ill admit, a good few drugs ive tried (cant list em all, my brain would hurt) ill admit and openly that i did it for purely for the experience. I love/d my drugs. Just when youre down below ten stone on the scales and youve gone through an ounce of speed in under a week, its time to stop.

2-CT-7 is illegal in the UK, though its one of those 'blurry' grey lines in a lotta other places. Dangerous apparently, but then again - what isnt?

'___' is also illegal, though incredibly rare to find and hard to get ahold of, its one of the most sort after hallucinagens that i know of.

~Sniff

posted on Jan, 12 2003 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
They should stay illegal,making them legal would just make it easier for more young teens to use them. By having the USA produce them we would basicly be helping drug lords.

First, I forgot to put that of course there should be an age limit for drugs, perhaps one higher than that for alcohol. This would interfere with young kids doing drugs, although, like alcohol and tobacco some people would not follow the law, but this would be better than dealers who deal to toddlers and dont care at all.

Second how would we be helping the drug lords by taking away their buisness. During the prohibition alcohol was made and smuggled by the mafia just as drug lords make and smuggle illicit substances. When the prohibition ended the mafia's demand for drugs dried up. People could get the booze they wanted legally and didnt need the real hardcore booze.

XAOS

posted on Jan, 12 2003 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Legalising all the drugs !? Before, I was against this idea.Now, I did a complete u-turn in what I think.

Why ?

- We lives ALREADY in a society where it's too much easy to buy illegal products ( like drugs )
- We'll have less crimes,
- We'll have less deads peoples ( cuz better " products ", no more drugs wars )
- more taxes money for the gov ( and may be less taxs for us
)
- Organised Crimes would be in deep #
- Police forces would be happy. Now, they bring a dealer to the Justice, and this asshole is released the same day ! With all the drugs legalised, no more dealers.
- We'll have less peoples in jails ( = More taxes money saved )
- We'll have more employements ( A :what's your job ? " B : Well, I'm selling gov' drugs " A : "Oh ? You are working for the CIA may be ? "
)

Prohibition doesn't work. Remember the 30' and the alcohol prohibition. Who was happy ? Al Capone and all his outlaweds friends.

When someones want to drink or smoke, he do it. He don't wait to see if it's legal or not. Junkies are not different. They want to kill themselves with their drugs ? Ok guys, do it if you want.And you know, we will have allways weaks peoples who want to use drugs and bads peoples who want to sell drugs.

We can't protect peoples from themselves. Make drugs illegal, it's like to say : " Suicide is illegal ! "

Of course, we'll have to teach to our children then drugs are bads and dangerous. Anyway, I do it already with my daughter.She just have to look what I do ( I do not use drugs, I do not drink alcohol.... ) and there is many anti-tobacos campaign in school.

Another good thing would be to stop advertising campaigns for tobacos and alcohol EVERYWHERE in the world. And if drugs are legalised, no ad campaigns for the drugs of course.

Peoples will allways do stupids things, like using drugs.

AF1

posted on Jan, 12 2003 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Just from my experiences in High school (and a little bit of college) it was a hell of a lot easier to come by weed than alchohol. Why? Because you would have to find someone old enough to buy you alchohol, and a lot of the time when you do, they don't seem to eager to go buy it for you. But with weed, i could ask the guy sitting next to me for a dime bag, and boom i got what i wanted. If weed was legalized, and couldn't be bought unless say 21, than that 21 yr old would most likely not buy it, just for the legal ramifications. I know I won't be buying my little brother alchohol, and I sure as hell won't buy him weed.

posted on Jan, 12 2003 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Without discussing the moral ramifications of drug use. I must agree with xaos. Prohibition just produces crime. There have been more deaths and shattered lives as a result of the "Drug War" than all the drug use that has ever existed. Recreational drug use is a public health problem, not a criminal one. I'm a civil servent, and I enjoy a good doobie from time to time. Never harmed anyone, keep a job, take care of my family, hate my government, oops.

Recently, a local factory where I live was opening a new production line. There were to be 700 new job openings. Seeing as how this particular factory paid very well, there were over 3,000 applicants. As of this date, only 300 of those jobs have been filled. Why, you may ask? Because the company requires a hair follicle drug test. Of the three thousand applicants for the jobs, only 300 were able to pass this sophisticated drug screen.

Just goes to show you, people just want to get high. As long as they harm no other, I say let them. However, if we are to allow illicit drug use, we must also hold users personally responsible for their actions while under the influence. Considering the American tendency to "blame someone else." The whole broken system will have to be overhauled. What shall we do with all the lawyers then?

posted on Jan, 12 2003 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by AF1

I know I won't be buying my little brother alchohol, and I sure as hell won't buy him weed.

Oh yeah ? And if the kids who's asking you for some drugs and/or alcohol is not YOUR little bro' ? Would you do it or not ?

AF1

posted on Jan, 12 2003 @ 02:31 PM
link   
It doesn't matter how old they are, I won't buy them what they want. I got friends still in High school(I just graduated) who would love for me to sell them cigarettes, but I just don't do it. It was a bitch for me to get my stuff, so if they want to do it they will just have to go through all the trouble i went through.

posted on Jan, 12 2003 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sniff
Oh ill admit, a good few drugs ive tried (cant list em all, my brain would hurt) ill admit and openly that i did it for purely for the experience. I love/d my drugs. Just when youre down below ten stone on the scales and youve gone through an ounce of speed in under a week, its time to stop.

2-CT-7 is illegal in the UK, though its one of those 'blurry' grey lines in a lotta other places. Dangerous apparently, but then again - what isnt?

'___' is also illegal, though incredibly rare to find and hard to get ahold of, its one of the most sort after hallucinagens that i know of.

~Sniff

poor english folks. all missing out on the unstoppable vomiting spasms

moe

posted on Jan, 12 2003 @ 08:39 PM
link   
damn!
hehe, everyone has their opinion.

posted on Jan, 13 2003 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Legalization is the only rational answer to the drug war other than a poice state where everyone is an informer and you can't be yourself. This type of state is what will happen if we allow homeland security to take hold. But I'm leaving my point, I think under the current government it will be impossible to legalize, because even having an undecided attitude toward drugs is political suicide. I think that one of the reasons for the rejection of this is due to the miseducation in schools (there is a thread on this in the micellaneous forum or something). Even former hardliners on legaliztion like UP have changed their mind. I just ask that you read my argument (UP clarifies some points) and think about it in an unbiased mind then you will see the logic behind it. Unfortunately the government is irrational and illogical and won't listen.

XAOS

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join