It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Truant Students To Be Tracked By GPS Anklets!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
As a person living in Texas, and that has parents that are teachers in the system, the REAL problem in Texas has nothing to do with the parents or the students...its a simple issue of Money.

Schools in Texas get money for their funding by students attending class. Each day a student is truant its money that school doesn't get paid for that day. If large numbers of students are truant this becomes a serious issue for them.

Hate it or love it, the Texas school system is fundamentally flawed and high property taxes to fund it seem never ending. Hopefully people will realize spending more money on high tech gadgets isn't the answer, but finding a way to make education more compelling and interesting for everyone.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Well, as far as the "theory" of age based segregated schooling goes, we've had a century or more of it and the kids appear to be getting less educated than in the past when the schools didn't exist. The prussians invented this whole thing in the first place to make soldiers, cops and government employees. We use it to create desired consumers and the soldiers/cops, government employees.

Ivan Illich wrote books about this subject in the 1970's about how these systems create disabled people and create people to govern the disabled people. Rather than all these kids getting together and looking out for their own interests the system pits them against each other, thereby enforcing the notion that we have "scarcity" models of reality. I find it nothing more than a fraud to think that "social" relationships exist primarily outside the context of family, all relations are social. In fact getting to know people at different age spectrums actually increases awareness of social aspects of life. The current system creates competing generations that actually repeat the mistakes of the past on purpose becuase they are taught to.

In the book the "Nuture Assumption" children actually have been proven to take a larger proportion of influence from friends than the family, contrary to what we have always believed, hence I think parents should not put kids in school settings unless they want to seperate themselves from each other or don't want to be a parent any longer.

In the social construction of reality, book that pretty much defined post-modern thinking in the early 60's one can find ample information pertaining to the artificial creation of reality that occurs in almost all facets of life. School represents a theory, no more understood or capable of the possible outcomes projected mostly because the presumption about ages being segregated makes no more sense than color segregation, as well as segregating the children from the wider community of life and the local family. A child should have more rights to not be forced into a situation predetremined to create a specific outcome irrespective of the wishes of the family or the child.

John Taylor Gatto goes into far more detail as well as John Holt did in the 1960's. People in this country don't get it, they need to realise that a change more profound than government schooling maybe in the works, something far more important for our future and our childrens future that a antiquated dinosaur age system can't fulfill. Every year knowledge increases at exponential rates, the internet only increases the fragmentation and yet we persist in banging our heads against a wall with regard to how we bring people into this world using systems put in place by people that never heard of or ever saw a computer. America as a country really sounds fairly simplisitic when given the range of communication systems in the world and our ability to circumnavigate the globe.

"The easiest way to get brainwashed is to be born." - Robert Anton Wilson

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I dont know if this has been covered or not yet but now the county jails are also going to these kind of ankle bracelets. Its not like the old ones where you had a boundary to stay in, now they just track you and if you leave the area theres no light or beep to let you know you just get arrested

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I was under the impression that truent students were not allowed to recieve a drivers license at 16... Does anyone know if that is true?

I think strapping GPS trackers on them is a bit excessive...

The more rights we strip from the kids the easier it will be for the Gov to strip more rights from them when they grow up...

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
This is just another reason for mandatory birth control. Its very clear more and more people are having children that shouldn't. what else is it going to take before this society wakes up.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Im sure the company who makes/imports the gps ankle bracelets for 15 cents in Taiwan.
Is making a healthy profit from what they are charging the state.
And no doubt the persons/company who sell them to the state are relatives or friends of some state officials.
Officials who of course approve the supplier of the tracking devices.
And of course the officials will be getting some kickbacks like some stock options etc.
Of course they are just trying to find another group of publicly acceptable degenerates who will appeal to the sheeple, to make a profit from.
At the tax payers expense.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
There was a comment made earlier that teenagers shouldn't be allowed freedoms at all, and only permitted them once they turn 18.

I am in MAJOR disagreement with this.

How are these children supposed to know how to act independently if they've never had the freedom to do so?

It's like the age restriction for alcohol.
First thing I noticed back in college, was the ONLY kids who were rowdy, drunk, and uncontrollable were those who had been on a tight leash as kids, had the drinking restriction heavily enforced, and pretty much were forced to be good obedient kids back when living with their parents. As soon as they get a taste of freedom, they become absolutely ludicrous.

Then there's the kids who's parents allowed them freedoms, and slowly introduced them to alcohol.
These kids usually turned out to be the most level headed and respectable people there.

As a kid, I was allowed to drink. (In the house.)
I was also allowed to go where I wanted, when I wanted.
Once the drinking age came about... I never once got horribly drunk, I've been buzzed plenty of times, but I know exactly where my tolerance level is, and I would never pass it. Same goes for freedom. I know whats sensible, whats respectful, and whats not.

These kids you see smashing things up are usually ruled with an iron fist back at home. I've seen it countless times with other kids when I was growing up. The harsh parents always had the rebellious kids.

You can't solve problems by putting them off.

Let your kids have some freedom while they're with you, and they won't abuse it once they're completely on their own.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Maybe the stupid kids should go to school, there's a novel idea. Maybe the kids parents should take responsibility and make sure their kids get on the bus in the morning and off in the afternoon. Wow, problem solved. The kids go to school, they don't have to wear the GPS anklet. Crazy.

My genius floors even myself sometimes.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I lived in Texas and still have a step-daughter going to school there. She gets alot of help because she is handicapped or mentally challenged...Here in Florida I don't believe that she would get the help because I have a grandson who falls in that category and the school doesn't consider him mentally challenged but he is. He gets an SSI check to prove it. Texas schools are on the ball in alot of ways. I find them quite ahead of the schools here in Fl. If my grandchildren had those bracelets on they would be graduating or have graduated. They think that they don't "need" to go to school like all the other teenage friends of theirs. I was brought up in N.J. in the 60's and the teachers back then didn't play around with discipline, didn't need"student aides" to help them and most of my teachers made learning interesting and fun for me. I have seen my children and grandchildren, nieces and nephews, friends children, etc. do great in elementary school and then hit middle and high school with the changing of classes and be totally "lost". Not sure why that is but I am assuming that "peer pressure" is extremely heavy on them nowadays and freedom of movement is too much on some children. I think that a review of ALL school systems is in order to take back control!
S(*)

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Why don't we just send them to Russia O I forgot they don't track there kids.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join