It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Truant Students To Be Tracked By GPS Anklets!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Be in the system or be dead or jailed. What punishment will they give to those who refuse to be tracked ?
Soon it will be illegal to grow your own food - to protect you from accidentally poisoning yourself maybe, you will have to buy it from the big producers, with money that can only be obtained from the system, then the real NWO begins

Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one.

School instead creates closed minds, filled to the brim

[edit on 24-8-2008 by pai mei]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

this ever-oppressive, authoritorian nonsense is starting to permeate and dominate every facet of our society, and it definitely is cause for concern IMHO...

Yes, DD, this nonsense is OUT OF CONTROL!

STAR'D & FLAG'D.

I think those ankle bracelets (which are probably 'made in China') should
be strapped onto the P A R E N T (S) of truant students!

That way, the au6th6or6ities can track them at the bar, or the racetrack,
or at their drug dealer's place, or wherever else irresponsible 'parents'
go... and outlaw THAT type of parent, to avoid "truant" students in the
future!

If this post makes any parent(s) angry, bring it on... I'm just getting
started!

[edit on 8/24/2008 by FRIGHTENER]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
First they did it to the child molester, then the drug user, now they have moved onto the child itself for not going to government schools. Just homeschool and throw the bracelet away. But see how they start with people that everyone doesn't care about and then move to ordinary people for petty things just like they are OCD in the UK over all manner of petty issues.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
hmm, I hate to say it but I agree with it. The people here throw out accusations of "first the molester" "then the drug dealer"...

I for one can tell you I saw many a students on house arrest during my times through high school, going back to middle school. They wore the anklet as ordered by court.

Thing is everyone places responsibility on the parent. In a lot of circumstances the parent just cant do a whole lot. Be it the single parent I'm sure thats the target in a majority of this topic.

A number of times the offending student is the oldest, and can't be walked to class daily due to Mom or Dad needing to go to work to support the younger siblings.

In a perfect world people would have children once careers were reached or lives were well set, but thats just not the case. Should the family suffer because of a renegade teenager in the mix?

I think its about time the renegade teenager who thinks he knows best for himself get back to taking responsibility for his actions. Don't go to class, and receive an anklet. Makes much more sense than suing the mother or father of a family who can't pay the dues for truancy.

Or we can have the district sue the family deeper into debt, and erasing any hope the family would have at prosperity.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   
So the correctional facility corporation isn't arresting enough felons so now these bozos want to go sell their equipment to students? Its the same reason why they want to drug test kids because there isn't enough money being made with home test kits. So now the teenagers that go to school have to be treated like felons and have to get piss patrolled? What the hell is wrong with these people they can't make enough money off taxes that go to police stations, prisons so now they want to go the next source of tax money, schools!? The corporations that manufacture this crap get all the money as our school districts go bankrupt and underpay teachers go on strikes. Then there is a mathematic and science epidemic and these idiots want to invest into GPS anklets? How can people be motivated to teach and learn when they are being underpaid and suppressed like convicted criminals? Don't we give these idiots in blue uniforms enough power by paying their excessive tickets and letting them shoot people and get away with it? Then we get police officials who molest children? The last thing we need is the correctional facility corporation taking over our school systems. It seems to me that they're the ones that should be wearing the anklets before they make all of us wear one. The way thing are going the terrorist and the commies are going to have more freedom than the rest of us.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
reply to post by whaaa

The bigger problem that I noticed is that many districts focused almost entirely on sports, because that brought in money to the school (and the whole town in some cases) if the teams were good.

Instead of hiring teachers, they would make the coaches teach one or two periods each day.

I kid you not, I had a high-school biology teacher who equated teaching with showing Jurrasic Park and Steve Irwin videos.

That's true. We had a great football and basketball team here, sports are big. So we had some coaches as teachers. I can tell you that they were some of the easiest classes I had.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by rightuos

they do that here, if a child keeps being truant the parent is fined,
its a good thing parents should keep their kids under control and if they do skip school, then their parents should share in the punishment,

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Penn will target truant students with gang affiliations, those with a history of running away and skipping school and those who have been through her court multiple times.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

news.yahoo.com...

If this is the case, then perhaps it can be a tool to assist parents with out of control kids. It sure would have kept me from skipping school. I don't see it stopping there though. I believe that this could just be a step of more to come. Like it has been said many times before, School has become a place where our children are sent to get brainwashed. They are taught to conform. They are sheeple in training.

In the school system here. more than 3 missed days is considered truant. ~A bit ridiculous~

[edit on 24-8-2008 by TeeJay]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
These braclets and the system + technicians to operate it aren't going to be cheap.

Where are they getting the funding for such a program?

It's not like school budgets are over flowing with money these days.

Follow the money...something smells fishy.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Well, I always knew texas was would be the first place in North America to go THIS big-brother like. Only one choice here, start the revolt in texas! The rest of the wold will folow.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
This is a gross violation of basic human rights. because they are children they are to be subjected to treatment none of us would ever accept as adults? there are so many things wrong with this i dont even know where to begin. everyone seems to begin with the parents so ill start there. A parent has a responsibility to thier child. thats pretty much it. theres no job or 2nd job that gets in the way. thats an excuse if your child needs help or disciplene it is your obligation to administer it. secondly i find it horrible that tax dollars need to be spent on gps trackers and orange jumpsuits. There was a time when students were punished by school faculity. there were things like detention and suspension. when you take away someones basic right to choose a shirt it tends to leave an impression on that kids mind that they do not have a right to be thier own person and its ok to subjugate others in the future to follow suit. finally this is not only a punishment for the kids that are being truant or being an individual but for normal students as well. people who dont want to be there are gonna find ways to act out. they are more likely to pray upon good students who wish to be there so they can succeed in thier goals.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Gotta love the folks who broke the rules while in school and are now critical of the schools. No one would care if kids want to start adult life with no education if they didn't quite often turn to crime or the system as a living. I suppose some kids see TV and figure a drug dealer can become a wealthy, power person. Others just don't realize that school is also learning how to deal with life, not just adding numbers or reading to pass a test.

One of my children graduated from a Texas public high school and starts college next week. We have another daughter who is a very good teacher and parents seek to get their child in her class. This whole situation isn't just A or B.

Monitoring, I am not sure, but it might help. If a kid wants his/her path to be nothing in school for the future, fine, show up, sit there and learn nothing. But then don't expect society to help with needs when you can't deal with life.

As some have stated, parenting or lack there of.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
why blame the government or teachers for the stupidity of youth and bad parenting? If I wasn't showing up for school my parents would have cracked my head open - end of story. The dumb thing is that most of these kids probably aren't going to school because they have a screwed up life. But an education is the only way to help fix bad situations. These kids throw away their own futures by not going to school and working hard to make their own lives better.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by hypervigilant

I agree and as a parent in Texas, I did something about it. I allowed my 15 year old AP/ Honors daughter to start at a community college during the summer between freshman and sophomore years. She loved it so I let her drop out of Plano ISD to go to community college full time. She just transferred to another school as a sophomore (she just turned 17) and we are actually moving her into her dorm in 1/2 hour. When people ask how she did it, I explain that I'm responsible for raising my children, not the state of Texas. (I will admit that I can afford to pay her tuition and board without loans and that probably made it easier than jumping through regulatory hoops.)

FWIW, she is counted as a dropout by the state of Texas.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

I agree, no doubt there are parents out there who should share the burden of the penalty. Thing is I know a parent who has done everything they could in their power to get control of their oldest son with no progress. She is a good mother, but her oldest has been influenced by his peers so much so he just doesn't care what becomes of her or his younger sister. She did not live in the nicest neighborhood while he grew up. Being out of college now she has moved to a nicer area, but he became even more out of control.

I don't think the anklets should be used on every truant kid, but there is a need for them in some circumstances.

Growing up in the "bad" crowd at one time I can tell you there are parents out there scared of there kids, and with the states buckling down on available punishment methods of parents theres not a whole lot that can be done.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
That's taking it too far and it makes you wonder how far the school system is willing to go.

Vegas Valley High School has a huge fence around it and a lock down policy... If you are 15 minutes late... you cannot get in and are sent home for the day... (how dumb is that?)

You cannot get out at lunch... You cannot hang around and chat in the hallways

There are several schools like that here, yet Las Vegas Academy is wide open and just like my school was in Toronto...

It appears that this is selective based on demographics and ethnic proportions of the student body

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Two words: "testing ground" and "training"

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Ya I'll admit this is pretty crazy, it should be left to parent discression only if the child is under 18. School isn't prison I think they forget that...

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by micheshi
reply to post by hypervigilant

I agree and as a parent in Texas, I did something about it. I allowed my 15 year old AP/ Honors daughter to start at a community college during the summer between freshman and sophomore years. She loved it so I let her drop out of Plano ISD to go to community college full time. She just transferred to another school as a sophomore (she just turned 17) and we are actually moving her into her dorm in 1/2 hour. When people ask how she did it, I explain that I'm responsible for raising my children, not the state of Texas. (I will admit that I can afford to pay her tuition and board without loans and that probably made it easier than jumping through regulatory hoops.)

FWIW, she is counted as a dropout by the state of Texas.

Good for you! I love it when parents are active and take charge.

My daughter was supposed to graduate a semester early and was on the path to do so, when suddenly and at the very last minute, we were informed by her school counselor that she would not be allowed to graduate early as planned because she was short one half credit. Of course, her counselor knew well in advance that this was the case, but it was never brought to our attention until the last minute. My daughter dropped out, enrolled at the local community college right away and is now nearly finished with her Associates Degree.

She too, is also considered a "dropout" by the state of Illinois.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I know of one family that tried to home school their two children in a small town that they had moved to in East Texas. The children were far ahead of the local students due to being home schooled prior to relocating. The father was jailed on trumped up charges, of child abuse, the children were sent to live with the grandparents, and all of their funds were spent on legal fees. The mother sought employment in another state, to relocate to when things were cleared up. She was killed in an auto accident while driving to work. When all was said and done the children had to go to public school, but not in Texas.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join