It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Similar to SR71 Plane?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Hi there,

I recently saw a plane fly over head above my house heading east bound. The plane was flying very low, I don't really know how well to estimate the altitude but it was so low that I could tell it looked very similar to an SR71 shape with that massively long nose. The sound was incredibly loud as it flew over head. Of course I only was able to see the underside as it was flying pretty fast. I live about 20 miles west of March Air Force base.

Are there any planes currently flying that look like an SR71 in shape?

Thanks much and take care,

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
B-1? It's long & black.
And loud. Very loud.

[edit on 23/8/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Thank you! This must have been what I saw. Great images.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

That can't be to scale...

Can it? The SR-71 is about 40-50 feet shorter than the B-1 and has almost a 90 foot wingspan difference.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ShatteredSkies

They're not to scale.
I just copied and pasted then into photoshop / merged them.
I remembered the next day that I should of added 'not to scale'... but then it was soo late.

Just for scale Stockburn, the Sr-71 is 107 feet long ( 33 metres ) & has a wingspan of 56 feet ( 17 metres ).
B-1 is 146 feet long ( 44.5 metres ) & wingspan is, Extended: 137 feet ( 41.8 metres ), Swept: 79 feet ( 24.1 metres ).

B-1 is a big plane..., empty weight - 192,000 lb ( 87,100 kg ), max takeoff weight: 477,000 lb ( 216,400 kg ).

Thanks FredT.

[edit on 26/8/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Hi C0bzz,

Any idea what a standard 737 or 757 is compared to the B1-B via dimensions? I want to say the craft I saw over head was pretty darn big, but I am by far an expert.
Sad thing is I flew as passenger for 5 years for work, and never really paid any attention. Usually MD80's and 90's.

I suppose I can look it up but what hoping one could put it in simple terms.

Does anybody know anything about March Air base? My Mother in law lives 2 miles as the crow flies, and it is usually vacant (weekend flies), perhaps more stuff goes on during the week day while I toil, but always thought March was nearly dead. Anybody have any updates on that?

Thanks all, and have an excellent night,

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I'm by March ARB a lot and all that I see are F-16s, cargo planes, re fuelers, DHL planes, and sometime the occasional foreign looking passenger jet (presumably troops from Iraq, just a guess). Will be interesting to find out if B-1s are flying in and out of there

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Good eye

I never noticed the plan view similarity until you posted that picture, but it makes sense.

top topics

join