It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There will be NO Nuclear War

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Every day there seems to be more doom and gloom on this site with people speculating about a nuclear exchange. For gods sake people, they might be incompetant halfwits but the powers that be are not completely insane. We seem to have the board split in 2 with half pro USA and half very anti USA and the vitriol is building completely unneccessarily.

We lived through much much worse during the cold war and tensions were a LOT higher than they are now, its just that after a few years of peaceful relations between the eagle and the bear everyone seems to have forgotten how bad it was. When kids start getting taught duck and cover in classrooms again then maybe we should have cause for concern.

Its nothing at all to do with any NWO or any NEOCON conspiracy or anything else other than a temporary cooling of diplomatic relations. This happens all the time,its just this time round its USA and Russia. Couple of months ago it was china, before that it was Britain and Iran, before that it was someone else..its an endless cycle.Putin and BUSH will not wipe out the entire earth (which a nuclear war would) over this. Its just not going to happen. How many times have i read on here that the USA will definatley be at war with Iran this time next month? Hasnt happened yet has it. Or with China over Taiwan..hasnt happened yet...

Forget the doom and gloom and quit worrying over events which you have no control over. Its a flash in the pan that will blow over shortly when the next crisis pops up somewhere else.

And if im wrong and they both launch at each other? Well no one will be around to gloat and say "i told you so"

Chill out, calm down and share the love people, life is too short as it is

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I don't think that people are really worried about a nuclear war between countries but are more worried about a rogue group setting off a nuke in a city like the 9/11 situation. Its the terrorist act which if not handled properly 'could' escalate into something more serious. If a nuke goes off by a terrorist group , civilians will be looking for someone to blame, the governments then jump on the bandwagon and if a country is held accountable then the repercussions will be severe, maybe even a nuke in retalliation, then all the supporting countries will then join in the 'lets launch a nuke' game...
End of.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Expat -You must have been on the same wavelength as me last night because I was going to post exactly the same thing.

Anyone under the age of 25 never really experienced the Cold War, or was old enough to understand it at the time.

Those of us who are older remember some really bad times, like when martial law was declared in Poland and everyone thought the Soviets would invade, or the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, or the whole Angola issue, or newspapers running front page diagrams of what damage a nuke airburst could do to a city, or the need for films like Threads and The Day After to ram home to people exactly what the consequences of such things are.

Back then Russian bombers that WERE loaded with nukes would be testing Western defences, and US/NATO planes would be doing the same to them.

The tension in the air during the early 80's and Reagans first Presedential Office was so thick you could almost taste it.

People older than me will remember the Cuban Missile Crisis, and Korea, and duck and cover/protect and survive drills and adverts on the TV, and the air-attack warning sirens being tested weekly.

Believe me when I say that the past 20 years have been extremely peaceful, and quiet, and that what you have experienced over the past week or so is nothing - and I really do mean nothing, compared to how things used to be.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 21/0808/08 by neformore]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

People older than me will remember the Cuban Missile Crisis, and Korea, and duck and cover/protect and survive drills and adverts on the TV, and the air-attack warning sirens being tested weekly.

Believe me when I say that the past 20 years have been extremely peaceful, and quiet, and that qhat you have experienced over the past week or so is nothing - and I really do mean nothing, compared to how things used to be.

Finally. Rationality checks in to say hello.

neforme and EXPAT are dead on here. While it is wise to pay close attention to the current situation in Georgia in particular and the cooiling of US/Russian relations in general, the sky is not yet falling people.

I wonder how many of the posters here who are predicting a nuclear exchange as a result of the current tensions fully understands how close we came to nuclear war during the Cuban Missle Crisis?

Nuclear war was almost triggered multiple times during that crisis. Thank God we were able to avoid that. What is happening now is that Russia is trying to re-establish itself on the world stage. Pay attention, yes, but panic?

Not so much.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Wow, thanks for the applause, it was my first

To be honest, i didnt write that for any sort of praise, it was just that i saw some of the threads and posts and was concerned that some of the younger posters might get too worried and think that a war was immenent.

If anyone is interested and hasn't seen it, i would highly recommend watching a film called "when the wind blows" which summed up some of the things we went through with the cold war. It was and still is one of the most disturbing things i have ever watched.

When the wind blows part 1 This is the link to the first part on youtube, the others are also there.

I never again want to experience the chilling paranoia that most of lived with and i would expect that none of the superpowers do either. I would expect any war fought between Russia and America or even China would be an economic one, not a collatoral one.

Of all the worries i have at the moment, Nuclear war is at the bottom

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
''There will be NO nuclear war''!

Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but the weapons exist and they exist for a reason. The deterrent lasts only so long and when it looses it's credence, this may be the precursor for their use (even on a singular basis of an ad hoc attack).

It is correct that the past two decades have been relatively peaceful, however is this not why we employ politicians for in the first instance? Should we not expect them to sacrifice their careers (which they choose) to ensure that our interests as people are always at the forefront? Do they not serve us?

This dumbing down of people's expectancy of their leaders and their taking advantage of such unaccountability is the greatest threat at the moment IMO - not a nuclear exchange. However, one could lead to the other.

Seems strange that when dealing with money, politicians are quick to make a fast buck, but when dealing with people's lives and stability of regions, they can never quite cut it - can they?

I suppose whatever happens we can all live in the mountains singing Que sera sera, whatever will be will be!!

Or, look on the bright side: in 100 years time, who's going to give a dam!!

Breifne

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Yeah, got to agree.

I have posted just as much in a couple of threads here on ATS recently.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

NATO etc, Russia and China all know just how far to push each other.
They are all old hands at this game and have been playing it for a while.
The people who really have the influence will not allow it to happen.
The M.A.D. scenario is still relevant.

The only destabilizing or unpredictable arena maybe the M.E.
Future developments in Pakistan will be interesting.

Well said.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by expatwhite
Wow, thanks for the applause, it was my first

To be honest, i didnt write that for any sort of praise, it was just that i saw some of the threads and posts and was concerned that some of the younger posters might get too worried and think that a war was immenent.

You're welcome on the applause, and yes, that was my way of thinking as well.

There are many many people on ATS right now who will have heard of some of the cold war stuff, but never lived it. I think that the "older" members who did can help out tremedously by putting this current spat into some kind of context, and hopefully ease a few fears.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Breifne

Yes, the weapons have been around for some 60+ years and other than during WW2 they have NOT been used. And to be sure, back in the 50's-60's the weapons were very much larger (to make up for less sophisticated targeting technology).

As has been pointed out above, the 'players' all know the consequences of a nuclear exchange. They all know that no matter who 'wins', they will lose. And lose BIG. Every major country will have its infrastructure and industry virtually wiped-out. Each will have an unimaginable number of people homeless, sick and injured for whom they must care and without the means to do so. There will be very little difference between the 'winner' and thye 'loser'. They ALL know this. We publish our nuclear doctrine on a regular basis. You can read it yourself (if you dare). No secrets. Every country knows what our response will be if attacked and the process is automatic. No country will risk that.

Is it possible that some rogue entity will gain access to nuclear weapons and detonate one on American soil? Sure. But as devastating as that event would be it is far, far less than an all-out nuclear exchange. It would be largely local and we would recover.

Like expat, I've found that alot of posters on this site almost seem excited by the prospect of a Russian-US conflict. What these youngsters don't seem to understand is the crippling economic cost of another Cold War. The former USSR collapsed under the weight of the arms race that the Cold War created. The Russians, sensing our current over-extension in the Middle East (way to go BushCo... you guys are geniuses!), are basically using a play out of our own playbook to further cripple our economy. We've been weakened internationally and economically and now the Russians are using that to re-establish their world position.

But there is a silver lining... all the arms manufacturers are going to get even richer. We all should be happy for them.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
reply to post by Breifne

But there is a silver lining... all the arms manufacturers are going to get even richer. We all should be happy for them.

Oh you

But it is the case that with all the proliferation of these weapons, any number could of 'slipped through the cracks', just like an accountant may smudge the numbers a little.

And with all the will in the world you could never account for people or peoples who would desire the use of these things - surprising the world with one random detonation would change everything, and we are already in a climate of fear for the masses. Sorry if that is a little emotional and/or alarmist.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Nuke heads.
Sure they are fear mongers.
Ask them who is going to push the button.
The whole bomb scenario was born out of the German military.

We are far from any nuke button pushing since the first two.
And the Neuron bomb has never been used.
That was number three type ready for action and perhaps
turned on Truman.

As far as land based launch, no it might go off on land.
Most popular is submarine based launched devised by the Germans.
If the sub does down, who cares.

Any way, I don't see nukes going of any where except in dis info
agents scripts.

top topics

join