It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there any room for humor in ATS?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

OH, DEAR ME!

Here I am again agreeing with Phage! LOL.

Clearly the world is coming to a . . . transition . . . lol.

Have long felt similarly.

IIRC, several years ago I touched on the topic in a msg exchange with one of the 3 Amigos. The reply was that certainly humor was desired--within the T&C, of course.

Evidently that's a serious rub and hamper on the humor.

Certainly a ton of humor is at someone's expense. And, in normal threads, I can certainly see why civility would suffer at a lot of humor.

And plenty of harsh, ruthless stabs have pretended to "merely" be "humor."

However, I agree with you that humor often springs to mind before I have to slap my fingers and stifle the temptation. Sadly.

Some of us are probably able to take humorous zings even at ourselves and our sacred cows without . . . uhhh . . . having a cow.

Clearly, many can't.

And the iron-clad civility requirement means that humor HAS to essentially, functionally be

INOFFENSIVE.

That's a hard criteria to meet in many cases.

Even if there's no serious malice in the humor, the humorist CANNOT control

HOW SOMEONE TAKES the humor.

And to many on ATS have hair-triggers when it comes to TAKING OFFENSE. Some seem to have made it a hobby. Others have made it an occupation and still others have made it an addicted obsession.

I don't know if there is a solution.

But it seems to me we could have a smokey back room where humor of a non-sexually explicit; non-racist; non-violent etc. nature could be let fly safely without considering it a violation of the T&C.

Folks who were inclined to be offended could stay out. Those who chose to read there would be ignored if they wailed over even robust humor that most could tell was not malicious.

Of course there would always be judgment calls. But I think it would be worth a 4-6 month experiment.

Sigh.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Suspension swings, riding crops, feather dusters, and water-based lubes.

Er, wait. That was rhetorical?

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I always make sure that when I post its in the most serious and condescending tone I can emulate on a keyboard.

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Just posted over on BTS jokes, puns and the lot, Merry Christmas Phage and a very Happy New Year

posted on Dec, 19 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Until I checked the date on the OP, I was going to say that obviously Phage had not read many of my posts.

But humor on this site only goes so far. I could go into detail about a seance bit that went over like a lead balloon but no need to dredge up the past.

posted on Dec, 20 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

FUDGE there better be or I am OUTTA HERE!!!!

edit on 12-20-2017 by Springer because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join