It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happens if the US & Russia nuke it out?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
All the hoopla over Georgia has raised a lot of questions about whether or not we're returning to the cold war. Russia has been spitting out threats about what kind of retaliation might be headed our way over the missile defense treaty with Poland. So, what happens if the US and Russia actually trade nukes?

I watched a truly disturbing show on one of the cable channels that talked to a number of survivors of the nuclear bombs dropped in Japan. Based on what happened in Japan, it would seem that while a US-Russia nuclear exchange would be devastating, people WOULD survive. Both the US and Russia would be extensively damaged as super-powers. Because of the mutual defense treaties, Europe and the countries around Russia would enter the war (NATO members), and I would assume they would also suffer extensive damage.

So what might the outcome be? Wouldn't China end up as the world's only super power? China would undoubtedly suffer fallout damage and radiation casualties. Given their high population density, they would need to suffer significant damage to prevent their ascention to our former role as super power. While it might be assumed that China would enter the war on Russia's side, that may not be the case given China's economic dependence on the US. It seems far more likely they would attempt to remain neutral, and might survive the war with less damage.

Global effects of a nuclear war (environmental, for example) are unclear.

How do you think the world would be shaped by a nuclear war between the US and Russia?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
It would be devastating. Neither America nor Russia would come out of it with any sort of functioning government, and both would be rather thoroughly depopulated. While not as extreme as during the cold war, it's quite likely that each side has missiles aimed at the other's allies. it's also fairly likely that both sides have some missiles aimed at china, so that in a best case scenario, the "winner" would come out of the exchange as the world's dominant superpower.

Frankly, though, it's wildly unlikely. Both Russia and the United States know damn well not to do it. It's the same posturing that took up the better part of the last sixty some years.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Very good read on this here.

Doomsday

Long story short, the bombs probably won't kill you. The fallout might, though. Plan accordingly.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
What would happen?

Pain,

Famine,

Disease,

Death.

I think it's as simple as that.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Wasn't it einstein that said; while he didn't know with what weapons WWIII would be fought, WWIV would be fought with sticks and stones?

I find it hard to believe that China would be left out of conflict in something like this. It would most likely involve everyone around the globe, as there's almost no country that has no stake in another. The fallout would be horrible, and I suppose the people who would have the best chance are the guys over in the Survival forum.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Think about it like this When the nukes start going off in Russia and the USA WHO wins ? no one. Depopulation Maybe mother earth wins

It's going to be you and me who are the people going to die The people who give the orders are the people who are in the bunkers and don't really care what happens top side

But i don't think it's going to happen Call me crazy but i think the aliens will step in and stop us from totaly wipeing our self off the earth .

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Szticks

The guys over in the Survival forum will have the same chance as us I don't think the fall out discriminates who it kills But as food and the basics you would be correct

top topics

join