It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Added: Debunkers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I added the page "debunkers"

It's about how there are people that will go out of their way to attempt to debunk conspiracy theories or even conspiracies that are true. I included stuff about how the media will lie to us a lot of the time and how they change their story a lot.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
It's just funny to watch people defend the government, whether the topic is light or mild... WHy?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by '___'eed
It's just funny to watch people defend the government, whether the topic is light or mild... WHy?

exactly right? It's kinda like puttin on a green visor hat and pulling a chair up to the craps table, and cheering for the House.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by Enigma Publius]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Frankidealist35,

Congratulations on a good first article! And the topic is of course extremely appropriate for tinWiki, so it's very much a good thing to finally have an article about this topic.

I have two tips for you: the article introduction you have written is very good, but introductions should have no headers. That means the question you have written above the introduction should be deleted. The second tip is that, to follow a more encyclopedic writing style, it would be good if you can change some of the phrasing where it says "you". Encyclopedic articles should be very neutral and plain presentations of facts, and should not 'show' neither the writer not the reader, so to say, in the article text. The article should, in the same way, not speak from the sense that 'we, the writer and readers, are Americans', but should just present facts in a neutral point of view in the sense that no such assumptions are made about who the reader is. I, as an example, am not an American...

Also, if you want a couple of formatting tips, even though this isn't very important, really, a header is made by keeping the header on its own line and putting two equal signs before and two after on that line. That's one of the most commonly used wiki codes, probably. Like this

== Some header here ==

If you want to make a bulleted list with wiki code, that is made by adding an asterisk * at the beginning of each line in the list. Like this

* Some list item
* Another list item

That will turn into a formatted bulleted list.

One tiny style comment, lastly, is that abbreviations should not be used. Instead, words should be spelled out. So "don't" should be "do not", and so on.

Anyway, a very good first contribution.

Welcome to tinWiki, and keep up the good work! :-)

Optimist

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Optimist

great post! i have needed help in that regard as well, excellent tips! thanks!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Thanks for the style tips. How can I get my table of contents to look like the ones on other pages? Is there a way that I can make my lists look like that?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Frankidealist35,

Hi, again. Yes, I believe there is an automatic wiki code that will create such a standard table of contents. I have never used it before myself, but perhaps I've read that it's

__toc__

but I'm not sure. I know the code for removing the table of contents is __notoc__. Note that those are two underscores on each side of the word, next to each other. Anyway, you see, whenever a page has four formatted headers in it, like the headers you have made now, a table of contents is automatically put in above the first header. So, if you put a header above the links, which would be good to do, anyway, the automatic table of contents should show up.

I noticed you made a nice bulleted list there, by the way, and the formatted headers. Now, I would suggest either 'throwing in' a "See also" section and list a couple of relevant articles, because then you could delete the first header. You could keep the first header, but, according to the guidelines, you should then write an introduction that comes before the first header. But your first section is already a very good introduction, so it could also be natural to just let that function as that.

Hope this made sense. Keep up the good work. :-)

Optimist

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I believe in my experience that if you are using the dual equal signs in your headers as in...

==History==

...it will do it automatically for you after 4 or 5 categories. I'm not sure of a manual code for the table of contents though.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Bingo -- Its 4 or 5. Sorry for the one liner but hey, i do it all the time in my TinWiki thread.

Fox

top topics

join