It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tonight, live streaming debate - The world is better off without religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
G'day all,

Tonight, 6.45pm Australian time, live streamed from the SMH website www.smh.com.au... will be the first of a six part debating series examining the question:

"Would the world be better of without religion"

SMH article

First shots fired

It should be a cracker of a debate considering the panels ... which I think are very nicely balanced.

The affirmative - that society being better off without religion - is Professor Vic Stenger. Professor of Philosophy and Professor of Physics, legal and ethical issues columnist for the SMH, Richard Ackland and former Australian Democrat Senator, Lyn Allison.

The negative - that society is better off with religion - Dr John Lennox. Three doctorates and a Fellow in Mathematics and Philosophy of Science at Green College, University of Oxford, UK, Professor Suzanne Rutland, Associate Professor and Chair of the Department of Hebrew, Biblical & Jewish Studies at the University of Sydney and Professor Ian Plimer, Emeritus Professor of Earth Sciences at the University of Melbourne and Professor of Mining Geology at the University of Adelaide.

If those in the north are up for burning the midnight oil, it will be interesting and fun to have a "live" discussion right here on ATS while the debate proper is going on.

Of course ... we don't have to wait for them to start ... if any of you would like to start the discussion right now ... well. here's the floor ...

[edit on 18/8/08 by Horza]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Once each of the six debates have happened, I will put the link or the text here for you all to enjoy.

Personally, and I am agnostic and not a fan of religion, I think the affirmative is going to have a hard time with this one.

They have to show that all religious institutions and belief systems are detrimental to human society.

This isn't just about Christianity or Islam ... It's about all religion ... right down to tribal belief systems.

Yup ... they have a tough job.

edit - spelling

MOD - does this need to be moved to another forum? ... I realise that the topic is not specific to the issue of creationism ... possibly Religious Conspiracies is a better forum for this topic?

[edit on 18/8/08 by Horza]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Yeah, there you go..
Instead of going to church on Sunday, just stay home and watch football.
I can see it know...
Everyone on their knees, praying to the almighty "Goalposts"
Instead of fighting over Religion, we can fight over who goes to the Superbowl !

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ravinsomniac
Yeah, there you go..
Instead of going to church on Sunday, just stay home and watch football.
I can see it know...
Everyone on their knees, praying to the almighty "Goalposts"
Instead of fighting over Religion, we can fight over who goes to the Superbowl !

Maybe no one will be nailed to crosses or children blowing themselves up in the name of Allah.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Having seen most of the debate, but missed part of the opening speaker's contribution (Former Senator Lyn ). Did you say that you would be posting the text of the debate? I'm looking for a transcipt...

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

instead they'll be nailing them to goalposts and exploding footballs.
j/k Depends on which religions you choose really. There are a lot of religions that promote peace and love, then there are extreme religions that promote violence. I would have to say you can't throw all religion out. Its like the old expression don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Since this is just a hypothetical debate and we can talk about it, but realistically there will "ALWAYS" be religion and no matter what we do it will never go away.

Keeper

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The SMH website doesn't have the video up yet ... as soon as it does I will post it here.

In the end ... I missed it! ... bugger ... so I will have to wait as well untill it is put up on the SMH site

Did anyone watch it?

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Ok all ... here is the link ... apologies for the delay in getting it up!

Would the world be better off without religion?

It's 40 or so mins long ... quite a good debate

Enjoy

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Keeper of Kheb

All religions can be corrupted. There is no such thing as a "dangerous" religion and a "benign" religion - they are all inherently dangerous, as they allow people to act on behalf of a omnipotent silent partner, in the way they see fit, without anyone being able to tell them they're wrong. We've seen Christian terrorists, Muslim terrorists, Buddhist terrorists, Shinto terrorists - the lot. No religion is above being dangerous.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
All i have to say is that only religions that are peaceful and are fair and teach of god not death should be accepted Christianity is a good religion and so is Hindu.only religions that are fair to women and treat each other with respect are good. Islam is repressive and women are second class citizens.some Islam women are forced to marry at age 7 or 8.who would rather be a Muslim than a Christian. Christians are peaceful and spread love not blow them selfs up. Islam should be destroyed for there sins. mo hammed was a peodo, he was marred to a 9 year old.i know people that are planning a nucular strike on every Muslim city.the Russian gouerment is corrupt and sells nukes to anyone with enough money.some have enough money and have gained control of a necular sub.only a matter of time until 1 billion are DEAD.

new topics

top topics

join