It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help end Fluoridation!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
with news articles like this, why would one not want to do anything about water fluoridation??! this is from my state, so now it's getting personal!

"There is no need to fluoridate the water supplies," says Dr. Michael Fleming. He's a Durham dentist who thinks we're getting far too much fluoride.

"Fluoride in the water is essentially a drug, it's an uncontrolled use of a drug," says Dr. Fleming.

Everyone knows fluoride is in your toothpaste and in some mouthwash. But fluoride is also in places you may have never guessed. It's in soft drinks and beer. Thinking of having orange juice and oatmeal for breakfast? If they're made with water in a fluoridated community then your breakfast comes with a side of fluoride.

Dr. Fleming says because fluoride is all around us his interest is in controlling the dosing from all sources.

Most communities in the triangle add fluoride to their water supply. The water treatment plant in Raleigh serves more than four hundred thousand people in Wake County. There's a special room where liquid fluoride is added to the water to keep the level within federal recommendations at about one milligram per liter of water.

But, the fluoride in the water supply could be impacting your health. In 2006, a report by the National Academy of Sciences identified fluoride as a potent hormone disruptor that can affect your thyroid and potentially lower the IQ of children. The report also says some children who drink fluoridated water develop something called fluorosis, a defect in their teeth that causes discoloration and erosion of the enamel.

"I think it's bad, having it in the water, we don't know what the results are going to be in the future," says Ed Daigle. He lives in the western North Carolina city of Brevard. Earlier this year, he led a one man crusade and convinced the city council to stop putting fluoride in the water supply.

"Why take a pristine water supply like we have and add a poison to it? Because it is definitely a poison," says Daigle.

Last year four Harvard researchers released a study revealing a five fold increase in bone cancer in teenage boys who drank fluoridated water years earlier because the ages of six and eight.

"How have we been lead to believe that fluoride is this wonderful thing that will make us all have bright, white, healthy teeth?" asked Steve Daniels.

"Some people suggest, adding fluoride to the water is like adding sunscreen to the water to help fight skin cancer," said Steve Daniels.

"I think let's just keep it topical," said Dr. Fleming. He continued, "The studies clearly indicate that, that is where the benefit is primarily found. Therefore taking it internally doesn't make any sense to me."

The National Academy of Sciences of NAS report also says fluoride accumulates in your bones over time and can increase your risk of breaking bones.

abclocal.go.com...

sorry for the long quote, but it all needs to be mentioned! also, according to my hometown's 2007 water supply data, fluoride is:

Erosion of natural deposits; water assistive which promotes strong teeth; discharge from fertilizer and aluminum factories

2007 Drinking Water Quality Report

i can't afford to buy good, clean non-fluoridated bottled water, and wish my tap water wasn't fluoridated so i can drink all the water i want (and should), without burning my wallet.

does any have any legal advice as to who to talk to in my town about discontinuing the fluoridation of the water supply? the article says one man spoke with the city council and fixed it, but is there a better group to speak with? do all cities and towns have a "city council"?

[edit on 16-11-2008 by adrenochrome]

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Ya know what's weird? I take my box of dryer sheets (fabric softener), I smell them, and they smell flowery/perfume-like. Yet when I look at the box, it says "fragrance-free", "free of perfumes and dyes". What's up with that?

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I was amazed when I read the thread linked below:

The Nicotine and fluoride link
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Basically it is a neuro-toxin and it attacks the nervous system.

The uses for fluoride, one I recall was mustard gas, and also the side affects for example, anxiety, more open to suggestion, causing down syndrome, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease, to mention but a few, are extremely alarming!!!

I am so shocked by these revalations!! To think that we are paying to be poisened! crazy!!

Anyhow, I live in london and wasn't sure if the water was being fluoridated yet or not, and came accross this article... I couldnt help but laugh, if only this writer knew what he was actually complaining about!!

London tap water missing fluoride: C-Health Article

Saw this article in C-health. The fluoridation of London's water supply was quietly shut down September 3rd after the commercial distributor in Canada had run out. What is a bit disturbing to me is the lack of communication from the municipal department to the public regarding the change in their water. Here's the teaser quote: For weeks most Londoners have been drinking tap water without fluoride, the result of a continental shortage of the substance that's added to water to prevent tooth decay. It took a plebiscite in the city 41 years ago to give the go-ahead for fluoridated water, but the equipment to add it was quietly shut down Sept. 3 for the larger of London's two water supply lines. Asked last night whether Londoners should have been told their water composition had changed, at least one city council member was unprepared to take a position. You can read the rest of the story here: London Tap Water Missing Fluoride

chealth.canoe.ca...

So it turns out that londons water is being fluoridated

Does anyone know if fluoride can be filtered out of tap water? as catching rainwater for bathing is wishful thinking in my apartment.

thanks

[edit on 11/16/2008 by corvin77]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
After no responces I started reading up on different water filtration and purification techniques..

I came accross this very thorough article.. seems that the best option for home filtration would be Multimedia Filters (Not sure how to get hold of them locally, but will start shopping around.

For those of you interested in reading the article, here is the link
(Please note that it is a few pages worth of reading, but is essential for those that don't understand how different filtration techniques work and what elements they strip from water)

What Chemicals do Filtration Processes Remove/Reduce?

The true power of the filtration process lies in multimedia filtration technology. By using multimedia filters, select minerals can be retained in water while more harmful or useless minerals and chemicals can be removed. The magic of multimedia filters lies in their use of chemical processes, as well as physical processes for the removal of undesirable ground and surface water contents. As more media elements are added to the filter cartridge, the filter is able to remove more of the dangerous mineral contents. Multimedia filter cartridges can remove such harmful mineral deposits and chemical additives as arsenic and fluoride from drinking water. Though arsenic levels are generally low in most ground and surface water, the mineral can be deadly. Fluoride, while useful in maintaining healthy teeth, is a reactive and dangerous chemical that should be taken with care.

www.historyofwaterfilters.com...

Hope this helps some of you!!

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   

But, the fluoride in the water supply could be impacting your health. In 2006, a report by the National Academy of Sciences identified fluoride as a potent hormone disruptor that can affect your thyroid and potentially lower the IQ of children. The report also says some children who drink fluoridated water develop something called fluorosis, a defect in their teeth that causes discoloration and erosion of the enamel.

My son had fluorosis on his baby teeth and we had lived where they fluoridated the water supply. We have since moved to a location with well water, and his baby teeth fell out and his permanent teeth are coming in just fine. I keep his fluoride amounts down to a minimum, but you really can't get around it. Since we have well water, the Dentist gave me a prescription for the fluoride vitamins, but I never got it filled. He gets enough from the other stuff that comes from the stores (ie, bottled water when we go camping, sodas poweraid, gatoraid, and the such).

A_L

top topics

<< 1   >>

join