It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about...nerves...I think

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
For quite a few years now I have occasionally been able to 'surge' a sensation down my legs to my feet, and have recently been able to do it throughout my entire body. I guess you could say it's tensing up but relaxing at the same time. I would interpret it as being able to voluntarily send electrical impulses through my nerves. I have also learned to keep the sensation constant, however, I also notice that when I do it I don't breathe. Tonight I've been working on breathing while doing it, and it seems to be working well.

Has anybody ever experienced something like this before? Is it a natural thing that any of us can do and I just haven't found out about anyone else doing it?

Also, if I continue to 'push' the sensation through my body, it builds upon itself and I can almost let it take over. A couple times I have felt like my body is acting as two; the physical me, whose hands and head start quivering slightly and I start to feel like my body is not under my control, and the real me who is inside the body but still has the reins if I need/want to use them.

What I am describing is not tensing of my muscles, like I would when I stretch or flex. My muscles are relaxed when I do it, but it feels like the inside of me is tensing up while my muscles are relaxing.

If you need more of a description, ask and I will try and elaborate. It's sort of difficult to describe. This just occurred to me because I've been turning it on and off while I write this; if I let the sensation build up pretty strong, it's almost as if I feel a vibrating sensation. Sometimes it feels like my body is trying to pull away from itself, but I always dismiss it "nah, it's just a funky feeling". Any ideas?

If I posted this in the wrong place, please move it to the proper forum.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
This sounds more like a medical condition.

It sounds like it has to do with glutamate or a chemical in your spinal fluid.
If you have an overproduction of glutamate, you might have an overreactive sensory response like when you trip on something and your leg jumps? (no link)

According to this one site, over production can cause damage. Glutamates in food such as MSG and artifical sweetners should most likely be avoided. You might want to see your doctor soon.It might also be spinal nerve damage or M.S.? Some might say it's RLS.

www.idealspine.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Hmmm, could be. I'm quite 'ansy' all the time, I always have been except when I'm sick (rarely), or the couple of times I've tried to quit caffeine (that didn't go over very well, but I did sleep better and was calmer).

I've been drinking diet sodas for a few years now, but have just recently in the past couple of weeks decided to switch back to regular. I'm absolutely convinced that aspartame is a terrible thing, as well as half the things we Americans are eating. It's difficult to stay away from all of them these days though.

I've though about RLS previously, but have pretty much ruled it out because I never have the sensations unless I bring them upon myself. I can lay in bed and fall asleep with no issue, and I sleep a lot more soundly than my wife. Perhaps it's just an oddity with my body!

Thx for the reply.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Kinda like how you'd imagine restless leg syndrome to be like, but voluntary? Sorta like telling your legs to move/tense but not enough to move them?

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I can cause a nervous sensation in my body. It feels like an intense inner "tickle" from the center of my head to spreading like "cold" air(?) down my torso, splitting to each of my legs ending on the back of the thighs. I cannot do it while breathing, while breathing out a little bit only. It actually feels like it starts at the throat, like it is enacted there. Like a full body dull tickle. Not a finger tickling your armpit feeling, but a thousand tiny feathers on your insides migrating about.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

Eh, kinda. If I had the feeling all the time I'd probably be batty. But that's why I don't think it's RLS. It's all voluntary. I'm currently reading up on glutamate and the brain.

I used to smoke, and when people told me cigarettes were bad for me, I would always reply "So is McDonald's™." Look at how many people smoke vs. how many people eat the junk that's served to us because it's "American Tradition". Hot dogs on the grill! Doritos™ as a snack, a Happy Meal™ for you kids. And as for Diet Coke™, they can have it. All pop is bad for you anyway.

The modern world is addicted to engineered junk food. Now I'd like to live in a world where I could spend the majority of my time tending my own garden and hunting my own food. At least I know what I've put on/in it.

You guys have got me on a rant now.

Do you think this 'engineered' junk food and the health industry have any financial ties?

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by depth om

Yeah, it's kinda like that. It usually starts in my thighs and forearms though and moves about from there.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I think Eckhart Tolle might say you were "filling your body with consciousness." He has an exercise where he tells you to notice the feeling of "you" inside your own body and then to expand it throughout your entire self.

Of course it could very well be a medical condition, but thats what your description reminded me of immediately.

Most people only notice their "selves" in their minds, it generally takes effort to "feel" the inside of your entire body.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Also an excellent description I believe. There's no tingling on my skin, it feels like I'm 'inside' my limbs. I think it may be one of those things that is for me and only me to know about, work with, etc. It's just so hard to describe accurately and completely.

I have always felt like I'm a little more in tune with things than the people I know are. Then again, I try to be.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Well your consciousness is an energy.

I tried Tolles little exercise, and when I read your description it reminded me of that experience immediately.

Its supposed to be good for you. It is beneficial to the body to be in contact with the energy of your Being so fully. But you might want to keep breathing.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
In a way, it does sound as if this is related to an OOBE. Any bizarre and vivid and or lucid dreams? I've had some of this a few times and once that I actually went back to sleep to pick off near where I left. If it's like when you hold your breath and begin to pass out, that might be something else?

You didn't say if this is when you're laying down. Is this anytime? Also, any other symptoms or family history that might suggest a medical condition. Does this ever happen when you aren't trying such as while doing anything else? As mystical as it may seem, you should probably rule out any medical condition. A growth near a nerve might be related.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

I'm one of those people who likes to consider a variety of possibilities, and OOBE popped in to my head previously, but I quickly dismissed it. I think it's more of an energy; being aware of yourself kind of thing. I don't feel disconnected when I do it, just more 'in tune'.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Don't know what it is dude but I've had it since I can remember. At least 20 years. Try focusing the sensation to the palms of your hands and then holding them about 2 inches apart. See if you can feel an almost magnetic field between your hands.

new topics

top topics

join