It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are members just out to get points?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I think it's an inevitable consequence of having a points system. Personally, I like it, but I have known forums where cruddy, pointless posts have become a symptom of such a scheme.

But, as long as the rules are in place and enforced, there shouldn't be a problem as it should get picked up on fairly quickly.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
With the exception of a few, I think that the points mean little to those that have been here for a while. There was a member who is no longer with us that had almost 100,000 points but had little to offer,IMO. Then I see members that have been here for 2 years that have less than 20,000,and their post contain value.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
To answer the thread questin 'Yes'. I have considered myself that type not long ago. I don't make useless posts just to get points, but rather see points as a indication of time you spend on ATS.

Now I simply don't care. I don't post much nowdays.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by quintar
Do you think some of the posts on ATS are merely to cause lots of discussion for the sake of points? or for the sake of discussion?

Are members judged according to how many points they have?

Do we even need points here? Isn't knowledge, truth and awareness reward enough?

I have no problems at all with ATS, I just thought of this question.

Also, I am familiar with the irony that I'm questioning posts such as this one, so don't bother pointing that out

peace

[Edited on 16-3-2004 by quintar]

......and nobody is judged by how many points he/she has. They are just to buy items in the ATS store and nothing more.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I used the points I had to get that nice green background and access to RATS. Thats about it. I don't actually know how many I've got off the top of my head.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I dont really care about the points, there fun , I am looking for Input. Everyone is gulty of make copy post. So have to do it to try to get away with something.
If I start a new thread It because " I think its intresting and I want to share".

Have a great day.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Hi all!!

I tend to agree with Pisky - once you've acquired RATS entry, played with backgrounds, bought in a supply of U2U's, managed to put a sub-title under your name, etc - then cycled through them a few times to keep things "interesting" - and bought some more upload space, points don't tend to mean too much. They are "good" to have in reserve (rather like money in a bank account) but aren't - necessarily - indicative of much at all....

And that post has probably earnt a few more points for me!!

Seriously, it's better (IMHO) to have some "quality" posts over "quantity" any day - just my two penn'orth.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
after i got RATS and the email for 10000 was taken off the market i lost the desire to chase points

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I went up to this hot chick at a bar and I was like, "Baby, I got so many points I would like to buy your services for the night." For some odd reason she kneed me in the groin.

I was at a chinese resturant the other day and I said to the waiter, "Dude! I'm gonna pay with my cool-ass points." To which he turned to me and replied, "We no take points! You pay five dolla!" Then for some odd reason he kneed me in the groin.

I was at chirch the other day and the collection plate went around. When it got to me, I was like "Hey holy man! How do I put some points in here?" And as he started going for my groin he stopped and said, "Naaaa, forget it you are too old."

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Hey Jonna, I'll sell you a Jock Strap for 5000 points.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Im new,but i pretty much dont care about points. Usually when i get on i just post 1 or 2 a day. There should be some thingamabober where u get rewarded for quality posts by mods and admins.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
you can get rewarded by mods for good quality posts, you get 250 points and a nice U2U saying that you have been applauded .
I have 3 of those so far in my saved box , can't bring my self to delete them

mind you thats not a lot out of the 800+ posts that I've made, not posted to gain points but just cause I sometimes can't help waffling on a bit on here.
I think some people like me, just want to be a part of the conversation.

[Edited on 16-3-2004 by pantha]

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Here are some of the things currently being considered for points. 1) return of e-mail accounts-- 15,000 points 2) random avatar trick-- 25,000 points 3) premium upload space-- 50,000 points (Premium upload space involves 2 megabytes of storage space, no individual file size restrictions, and no automatic file renaming) Also, we're close to launching a system to reward the author of the highest-rated threat each week. This helps connect earching points to creating quality material. After some time testing the concept, I can't disagree with anything on this page, www.abovetopsecret.com... of the top 100 threads. Long term, we're planning to have some actual prizes and items that can be purchased with points... but that's a ways off.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Right, pantha, I got one, and I'm saving her. May not get another, but you never know.
The points were way important before RATS, and it was nice to spruce my my little area with color and such.
Now, the points are still nice and I like getting them, but now I'd like to post or research some quality stuff. At least once in awhile. I'm interested in hearing or finding a great article or idea and making it breaking news.
I've never been on a points forum before, I like it, though and think the mods do a good job.
You're forgetting, too, that points can be taken away, from time to time

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Here are some of the things currently being considered for points.

2) random avatar trick-- 25,000 points

I had sent you an U2U, about this about two weeks ago. You didnt get beack to me. I guess you already had it in the works.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
nice to see that your gonna share your avatar trick with us, I guess you have just been testing it out for the past few weeks.
thumbs up to the idea of rewarding highest rated thread , is it going to be a substantial reward, to really encourage quality posts?

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
LOL@ Jonna & Intrepid!!!!

That was just too funny. Almost spilled my drink.

Kano

Yeah, I remembered that thread from Mad Scientist. Lol... What a freak hehehehe... If I would have made a thread each time I injuried my self badly, I would probably have been accused of posting to build up points lol...

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I admit I post for points I heard a rumor that they are going to put an ATS toaster up at the store along with a year subscription of listening to art bell via stream link

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
well im trying hard to get pts. but im not making nincompoop threads and posts either because those always get deleted or never replied to. when i post im trying to take part in a conversation

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The points race ended for me after I got in RATS. (or somewhere thereafter
)

Now I try for Applause from the mods.....(by trying to make a halfway decent post on occasion)

(A cool thing to add to the member profiles would be a Applause accumulated indicator right above the points indicator.)

[Edited on 25-4-2004 by smirkley]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join