It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are members just out to get points?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Do you think some of the posts on ATS are merely to cause lots of discussion for the sake of points? or for the sake of discussion?

Are members judged according to how many points they have?

Do we even need points here? Isn't knowledge, truth and awareness reward enough?

I have no problems at all with ATS, I just thought of this question.

Also, I am familiar with the irony that I'm questioning posts such as this one, so don't bother pointing that out

peace

[Edited on 16-3-2004 by quintar]

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Don't really care about the points, but some people enjoy it. It would be cool to have a mini-profile image though, but whatever.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I definitly think some are...just look at posts by members like "they see ALL".

I think that if he'd cut off one of his finger, he'd make a thread somewhere around here about it before going to the doctor.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I really don't care about the point system one way or the other. To me, it doesn't seem like a necessity for a smoothly running site.

When I first signed on, I really wanted the points, to buy my way into RATS and the email, but after a while, it just seemed... I don't know... umm... let's just say something seemed wrong.

The reasons I find fault with the point system is that you can have members that only come on once a week or so, hardly make any posts, but when they do they are well thought out. Then you have the members who are on every day, hours on end, posting on everything and anything, with no regard to what they are saying. The multi-poster will recieve more points than the one who plans his words. Why?

Then, too, is the fact that creating a thread gives you more points than making a post, while making a LONG post gives you more points than a short one. That's why, for a while, you'd see the same person(s) making 5 new threads a day for a week at a time.

I could see giving 'reward' points for participating in the debates, polls, etcetera... 'rewards' for contributing something big and worthwhile. This, in part, is already done, with moderators rewarding people extra points for outstanding posts in a related thread... I like this idea. Not only does it force someone who wants the points to think and plan, but as a receiver of these rewarded points, they have made me feel good, that I was actually doing something that another thought was worthwhile.

I have the RATS forum, from what I've seen so far, is no different than a normal posting; sure, it's said to eliminate the bashers, but it doesn't. The email... I have second thoughts about it; I have three email accounts (1 personal, 1 dealing with my beliefs, and 1 for 'other')... I really don't need a forth.

The only reason why I want my points is so that I can start uploading pictures and such... but then, too, to save bandwidth, I could always find the pic on the Net, and provide a link.

I would say, remove the point system, and give credit or 'extras' to those deserving, to those who to contribute.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Speaking of posting on ATS before going to the doctor, check out this thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

As far as points go, I think its obvious enough to everyone that high point count does not at all infer a quality poster. There are more than enough examples to counter that. Also more than enough examples of very high quality posters having only a handful of points.

[Edited on 16-3-2004 by Kano]

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Geez...

Truth is stranger than fiction!

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Points are points, not that big a deal.

It would be a shame if people thought someones post were just for the points though. I know I post things and sometimes they get answers, sometimes they don't. I will say that when I post something points are not what I am looking for, I am looking for answers or opinions. I have to believe most subscribe to that as well.

This is the only place I have found on the net where I can ask questions and get good honest discussion about a variety of topics. I have had my opinions changed by posts and other times I have had them re-enforced. I do notice that I feel much more informed about so many topics now and that is the big win.

I think you need the points though, allows the web masters to control certain higher bandwidth items to keep cost down and lurkers from using up all the bandwidth.

Just my .02

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
While there are some that are just trying to get points, they will ease up when they get their cool titles and other goodies. Just let them get it out of their system and then they will either go somewhere else, or their comments will slow down and be more thoughtful. I just hope I am not responding to this thread for points.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I'm with Servant on this one. Did you forget what it was like when you first started here? WOW, look at all the discussion. You get caught up in it, I did too. Morbid, I know who you are talking about and considered u2uing him about it, embarassed for him actually, but it didn't bother me all that much. If it does you, do it.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I totally agree with you.

I find there are a few members i'm not naming names, but I can tell the difference between people who are actually wanting to have an intellectual conversation, and the people that just want to build their points up.

I don't think we should have them because it takes the intellect out of this board and some dummies concentrate just on building their point system.

I'd rather listen and learn from people who are bright and good conversationalists rather then people who talk just for the sake of building up points.

[Edited on 16-3-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I think some are out for the points. Sometimes when you get into a really intense argument with another poster, they sometimes attack your crediblity by saying that they have more points than you.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by nativeokie
Points are points, not that big a deal.

This is the only place I have found on the net where I can ask questions and get good honest discussion about a variety of topics. I have had my opinions changed by posts and other times I have had them re-enforced. I do notice that I feel much more informed about so many topics now and that is the big win.

Just my .02

Ditto here, I feel the same way.
I've learned alot, hand some of my views changed and reinforced, but the biggest winner is gaining more knowledge and hearing other people's beliefs.

I find this board very interesting. Especially the mud pit.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
Speaking of posting on ATS before going to the doctor, check out this thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

As far as points go, I think its obvious enough to everyone that high point count does not at all infer a quality poster. There are more than enough examples to counter that. Also more than enough examples of very high quality posters having only a handful of points.

[Edited on 16-3-2004 by Kano]

Bloody hell thats funny btw did you lock the thread Kano?

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thorfinn Skullsplitter
It would be cool to have a mini-profile image though, but whatever.

we do have it. Check out the ats store. Its 2500 points.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   
drunk: negative, I didn't know it was locked, its not locked now?

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I wonder how many times this question has ever been asked ? How many more times will it be asked in the future ?

Sometimes I like the idea of the "points" other times I think we could do without them...

Oh well.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
When I go to sleep at night I am comforted with the knowledge that I have accumulated a fair amount of ATS points for the day. I pretend that they are my pillow and hug it so tightly that you would think the stuffing would come out. Then I whisper sweet nothings into its little cotton ears. This is around the time when I mount the pillow and........

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
When I go to sleep at night I am comforted with the knowledge that I have accumulated a fair amount of ATS points for the day. I pretend that they are my pillow and hug it so tightly that you would think the stuffing would come out. Then I whisper sweet nothings into its little cotton ears. This is around the time when I mount the pillow and........

Oh, that's funny ! I can see it now, tonight I'll lay down and will start to chuckle becuase I'll be thinking of Jonna and the ATS points "pillow" and "comfort" post

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
omg we get points!!!
i love this place and stop by everyday, although i rarely post. it does make me feel a lil sheltered from the posts but, ehh. i come here to learn. if i have info or an opinion i post. no sense in being a points whore, i already got into rats. now its just time to read.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Maybe there can be an option to never accumulate any points?
If ( 1 == g_noPoints)
[
points *= 0;
// make points text same as bg color

]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join