It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your choice for VP?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
It is apparent that the vast majority of supporters for both Obama and McCain are unable to agree with all the policies these candidates hold. I have also noticed that both these candidates are within afew percentage points of each other on the poll and in my opinion both need a boost of some kind to "tip the scale" so to sayt. I believe that the Vice presidency choice is the last chance for these candidates to bring in some more independent, third party, cross over voters as they have already well established their policies and intentions in public. The choice of the VP may be effective enough in bring possible voters across party lines, both sides have already done this but the VP may be a deciding factor as to whether either candidate can bring in more voters across party lines.

Barack Obama:
I dont believe that any of these VP potentials will do further impact to Obamas campaign because I dont think he can get any better! But who knows they may actually bring in more voters.

Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius (D)
(My personal pick)

Virginia governor Tim Kaine (D)

Indiana senator Evan Bayh (D)

Hillary Clinton (D) ?

John McCain

Mitt Romney (R)
In my opinion Romney would have been the stronger candidate in the first place, Im happy he isnt the nominee but I wont deny that he would have been the stronger choice. The least McCain can do is to maintain his conservative voting block by choosing Romney as VP.

Joe Lieberman (I)
Although this may harm McCains presidential bid more than benefit,

Ron Paul (R) (even though he said he would not accept)

Florida Gov. Charlie Crist (R)
Because Florida will be a key state in this general election

What do you guys think? Whos your VP choice?

[edit on 15-8-2008 by southern_Guardian]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
As a "Barackaphobe"........

I would like to see John McCain pick Mitt Romney to counter McCain's neolib agenda.

As far as Obama goes...I'm with the OP on this one...No one really helps or hurts him....unless he goes with John Kerry...his name has been whispered about in the last couple of days.

John Kerry! I could only hope!

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
As a "Barackaphobe"........

I would like to see John McCain pick Mitt Romney to counter McCain's neolib agenda.

As far as Obama goes...I'm with the OP on this one...No one really helps or hurts him....unless he goes with John Kerry...his name has been whispered about in the last couple of days.

John Kerry! I could only hope!

Im glad you agree, I dont think he can get any better

But yes Mitt Romney, nice pick, I get the feeling the majority of conservatives will pick Romney.

[edit on 15-8-2008 by southern_Guardian]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I think that McCain should go with Romney (strong economic skills and state governor) but word on the street is that they are not too fond of one another and McCain might not pair up with someone he does not like (remember 2000, he didn't hide his feelings about GW).
I used to feel that McCain/Guliani would have been unstoppable but that ticket would not mesh with a lot of the right as both are thought to be to liberal. The pick should be Romney but I won't make a call on this one.

Obama might be wise to pick Biden who would be a great attack dog (a surrogate that would be effective to deflect the hits that Obama is receiving) but he says some really dumb things sometimes. The rest of the choices would make for a pretty dull ticket apart from Wes Clark or Jack Reed. I think that Obama will go with Bayh or Kaine.

Wait and see.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
President Ron Paul with Ben Stein as V.P.

That's pretty damn good!

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I thought Romney should have been the Rep. rep. VP? OK! Best of all the candidate on both sides imo. He's a doer.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
For Obama I think Tim Kaine is the best choice with Sebelius in second. I liked Evan Bayh until I read about his Iraq War record. Anthony Zinni is a relatively unknown figure who would be a great pick too.

On the McCain side I think Tim Pawlenty is the best choice he has. Mitt Romney is too risky as many Evangelicals view Mormonism as a "cult" and he seems prone to changing positions more than McCain or Obama does.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
There was some mention of Colin Powell for Obama's VP because Obama had supposedly mentioned the possibility of having someone with military experience due to the curent world situation. I've only heard of Hillary and that show got old already for some reason as if a bad break-up.

Romney makes the most sense for McCain's VP. It's still kinda odd he lost to McCain.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Powell has stated publicly that he would not accept a VP position - he's not interested.

I'm a McCain supporter and am REALLY hoping that he'll go with Romney. I'm a bit disappointed that all of these other names keep popping up ... about a month ago it seemed as if Romney was a shoe in and now it seems less likely, so in all honesty, I'm a little nervous that Romney is out of the running.

McCain - Romney 2008!!!!

Jemison

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Hey .. it's not a done deal as to who will be the nominees.

McCain and Obama? Perhaps.

But Hillary just got the right to be nominated at the convention.

Her delagates can vote for her there now.

The Clintons aren't out of it yet.

It COULD be a Hillary/Obama ticket with HER on top!

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

The possibility certainly exists

but if that were to happen - i can guarantee it'd be the end of the DNC as we know it.

Might be a good thing?

Who knows.

Personally - i think we should keep Hillary out. She scares the hell out of me more than any republican

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Obama/Biden. Remember where you heard it first.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Hmm. I guess if i may - i have a question about the VP choices.

Do you think that the VP choice is anywhere near as important for Obama as it is for McCain?

I get that drift.....i dunno. It seems to me that if McCain stands a chance, he'll have to have a very very strong vice president, much in the way Kerry had with Edwards (recent occurrences withstanding)

As for my chocie for an Obama candidate

i would LOVE to see a republican
i believe that this ticket could be the end all for any hopes that McCain has of presidency.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
McCain - Romney should be his VP and he should also announce NOW that he will not seek a 2nd term. This would have an advantage in that he could state he won't be wasting time pandering later on - and the women like Romney.

Obama - here I have to consider what Dick Morris stated a few days ago - if Barry chooses anyone too credible or "elder statesmanlike" [e.g. Biden] - there will be a lot of focus on how that ticket should be turned upside down with Barry as the VP, so he could gain some experience.

Many times I have heard people say that "You don't vote for the VP or the candidates spouse" - I wholeheartedly disagree. There are many factors in deciding who one votes for. The VP slot will be critical this time around.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
For Obama, I'd guess a Governor of a state that is not a given for either party makes the best sense. Don't think it really matters all that much who it is. I think it matters less for Obama than it does for McCain.

John Kerry would assure a loss in November, he's still the same rich kid stumblebum wannabe intellectual he was 4 years ago. Talking down to people is no way to get elected(except in Massachusetts, I suppose).

For McCain, I'd love to see Joe Lieberman. Heartbeat away and all that. Lieberman is someone I have always liked for his no nonsense stand on issues. He doesn't toe any party line, but takes his own path. Gotta admire that.

Having said that, I don't expect it. He should chose Romney if not Lieberman, but he likely won't. Again, I see a Governor of a state that could go either way. If not Lieberman or Romney, I don't think it will matter that much who his choice is. I've heard the name Tom Ridge brought up, but that would be a disaster, particularly if he wins the election.

I suppose Charlie Crist may have the inside track. Could do worse.

McCain cannot announce he will only hold office for 4 years, he'd be a lame duck out of the gate. If he really feels that way, he should announce it in a couple of years. That would give his VP plenty of time to step into the next race and give McCain the clout he may well need early on.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Q Level

I see your point completely. But I disagree about Kerry as a poor choice for Obama.

Although he's still, at times, that bumbling goofy Senator we all love to chuckle at, his experience and connections in government, along with a whole 'lotta cash, could be just the thing Obama needs to bolster some of his soft spots.

I think if you look at Kerry's seniority along with his seat on the Senate Foreign Relations committee, he could potentially fill that experience gap that everyone seems to think is lacking in Obama's campaign.

Not to mention, Kerry & McCain have a pretty close relationship in regards to Veteran's affairs so any jabs about the troops from McCain would be fruitless with Kerry as a running mate.

With Kerry getting 59 million votes in '04, having him as VP would seal New England up and probably sway the mid-atlantic states down to Penn. and Marlyand to an Obama lock.

Just my opinion but Kerry would be far from the disaster you propose.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Comma8Comma1
reply to post by Q Level

I see your point completely. But I disagree about Kerry as a poor choice for Obama.

Although he's still, at times, that bumbling goofy Senator we all love to chuckle at, his experience and connections in government, along with a whole 'lotta cash, could be just the thing Obama needs to bolster some of his soft spots.

I think if you look at Kerry's seniority along with his seat on the Senate Foreign Relations committee, he could potentially fill that experience gap that everyone seems to think is lacking in Obama's campaign.

Not to mention, Kerry & McCain have a pretty close relationship in regards to Veteran's affairs so any jabs about the troops from McCain would be fruitless with Kerry as a running mate.

With Kerry getting 59 million votes in '04, having him as VP would seal New England up and probably sway the mid-atlantic states down to Penn. and Marlyand to an Obama lock.

Just my opinion but Kerry would be far from the disaster you propose.

Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I know Kerry carries a lot of negative baggage from '04. No pun was intended.

People I know that are for Obama have told me that Kerry would be the last straw. Obama is supposed to be moving forward and Kerry is a past they'd like to forget.

I think he is a very polarizing figure and probably not the best choice Obama could make. He may help in some areas, but he would hurt in several previous Red states that are by no means a lock for Republicans this time around. Not many people look at Kerry and don't have strong feelings, one way or another. Just seems a little risky to me.

I haven't completely decided yet, but if Kerrry was on Obama's ticket, I know I'd vote against him. Not so much for McCain, but against Kerry. I'm really curious as to whom McCain is going to pick. That may be the decider for me, though Kerry would decide it regardless in favor of McCain.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Q Level

The we'll agree to disagree.

I do think it's sad that overall we as American's are essentially picking the lesser of two evils.

"He's not my favorite, but I guess it's all we have."
Somehow I don't think our electoral process was meant to be reduced to this.

Ho-hum, back to work....

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Obama/Hillary is the only ticket that can win for Obama IMHO.

McCain/Romney is what I would like to see. I personally will NOT be voting for McCain if Liberman is his VP.

Rice would do the McCain ticket well too. Yes, shes close to Bush, but shes smart and intelligent. She was left in the dark about a lot of what happened leading to the war so this is an advantage.

I have to say.... shes a woman and shes black. That in itself will cause the 96+% of black people supporting Obama to actually think critically about their candidate. Same applies for women who want to vote just cause of gender.

[edit on 8/18/2008 by AndrewTB]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Richardson makes a lot of sense as Obama VP pick because he could combat McCain play for the Latino vote . Huckabee(SP?) from a strategic point of view makes sense as McCain VP pick because he stands a reasonable chance of bringing the Christian right to the polls . Political strategy aside the idea that Romney is the man for the job has merit .

top topics

join