It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are you allergic to?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I have no allergies, & no phobias.

And that's the way I like it!

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I'm allergic to paid employment, still do it though, but it's not good for me.

I'm not technically allergic to antibiotics, but they do make me feel really ill for a few days. I'm immune to TB since childhood and been in close contact with it as an adult, still not contracted, nor a carrier.

One of my friends from childhood was raised in a "sterile" household, lots of antibacterial cleaners etc, used to get ill all the time (no immune system), even now if we have a heavy night drinking, he'll get a cold... as a kid I was encouraged to play outside and get dirty, if any of my cousins got ill, I'd HAVE to go play with them, I got measles, mumps, chicken-pox etc as a kid and had about 2 days off sick in 15 years.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
When I was about 5-14 yrs. old I had to see an allergist at least once a month. I would miss days of school so the doctor could give me about 20 shots in each arm. I had to sit there for hours while they would inject my skin with some kind of solution that consisted of a plant, food, insect bite or whatever it was that most people are allergic to. They would measure my reaction to every shot and prescribe me medication to help my body form an immunity to my worst reactions. I had to give this medication to myself (by form of another shot in my shoulder or deltoid area) twice a week for years.

Growing up I swore this was a scam at my expense. I later realized how much my doctor and parents did for me.
I remember trips to the hospital because I was covered in hives or because swelling was closing my throat. I'm fine now and have very mild allergies except for certain insect bites like a wasp sting.

The worst part about my childhood allergy experience wasn't the shots though. It was the fact that I was allergic to chocolate. Can you even imagine what it's like to be a kid that is allergic to chocolate!

Birthday parties, Halloween, Grandma's house , willy wonka's chocolate factory!
I can get away with it nowadays ,but it doesn't seem to taste as good as it did when I was kid.

I'm making it sound worse than it was though. I had a lot of fun when the kids would ask me about the tracks on my arms. I remember telling them ridiculous stories like I had super powers and the scientists were trying to figure out why, or whatever story I made up because I got bored with explaining why my arms have rows of red dots.

Most of my friends think I'm an alien because my body heals so fast. Cut, scrape, or bruise my body heals at an extraordinary rate. In some cases within hours. I often wonder if it has something to do with all of the treatment I was given because of allergies.

Anyway, Thanks for givenmay this opportunity to share my experience and read about other unfortunate people that have dealt with allergies.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jokei

...if kids stay dirty they get used to it, and become immune from viruses alot!

...it's weird but, they do!
The clean kids not used to germs usually get sick!

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by silverking

Awww, Honey I am sorry you had to go through all that!
Hope all is better!

I am really interested in these kind of things, and very glad you shared, thankx!

The body works in mysterious ways!

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Im allergic to annoying and rude people.I react badly to them, best cure is a dose of verbal abuse toward them

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Azador

I'm sure we get along fine eventhough i am rude most of the time!

I don't hear you sneezing!

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Givenmay

What are you talking about i verbally(well not verbally more typal abuse)abuse you all the time.You just got thick skin

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Givenmay

I'm fine and have been. I think my allergy related experience has only made me stronger. Which is the reason why I shared it. As for yours, I knew someone that said they used plastic utensils instead of metal because of their allergies. Have you ever had this problem?

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by hsur2112

Cats and shelfish for me too!

I have however persevered with the cats and now not such a problem (unless I get a hair in my eye).

As for the shelfish, it was crab that nearly killed me as a kid. Very violent reactions as a ten year old.
Doctors said if I was lucky, it wouldn't get any worse but it would never go away.
Of course that seemed like a challenge and my love for shelfish eventually prevailed after supervised "tasters" and I proved them wrong.

I still don't do crab though!

I'm also allergic to house-dust, but I think most people are to some degree.

Hi to all the sneezers, wheezers and coughers out there.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Givenmay
reply to post by jokei

...if kids stay dirty they get used to it, and become immune from viruses alot!

...it's weird but, they do!
The clean kids not used to germs usually get sick!

A theory I also believe in strongly.

Same with food....eat the good stuff all your life and a little "naff" food is going to get you, whereas eating this, that and everything will strengthen the bodies natural defences.

Less medication too!

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I am allergic to nothing that i know of....

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Azador

Awww your hardness never phases me!

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by silverking
I knew someone that said they used plastic utensils instead of metal because of their allergies. Have you ever had this problem?

Nope I am fine using utensils..it's just when I am wearing non precious metals around my neck or pierced with them!

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Yes, and immunity to illness can run in the genes also, if your parents never really get sick and you carry the gene you won't either as much!

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   

reply to post by nerbot

Yes, and immunity to illness can run in the genes also, if your parents never really get sick and you carry the gene you won't either as much!

I hope that doesn't include mental ilness!

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Well mental illness is usually caused by the people you've been around!
...it is carried on by genes also!

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by silverking
The worst part about my childhood allergy experience wasn't the shots though. It was the fact that I was allergic to chocolate. Can you even imagine what it's like to be a kid that is allergic to chocolate!

No,
I can't imagine. I think that I'm allergic to NOT eating chocolate. But ditto, I'm glad that you're doing well despite the allergies.

reply to post by nerbot

It never bothered me that I couldn't eat fish. And am actually glad that I have an excuse not to eat it. I just never acquired a taste for seafood of any kind. Except that salmon that looked kind of good, and I only tried it because I though that I was only allergic to shellfish. Oops.

And oh, the cat hair in the eye. I hear ya. I suffer if I don't wash my hands after I pet or groom her. :bash:

Rush

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   

..it's just when I am wearing non precious metals around my neck or pierced with them!

Me too, Given. And actually it's not a bad thing, is it? My husband knows he can't buy me anything but the good stuff. HEHE Not a bad thing at all.

(not selfish or anything) Rush

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I'm allergic to pennicilin (sp?) which sucks because whenever I'm ill they always have to find strange medicines to heal me with.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join