It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transformers and Walmart, end of Toys "R" Us?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Sorry If this is in the wrong place. move it to where you see fit. And it it is pontless, sorry....

Well....I just saw this ad for walmart on TV. It had two little boys and their mom. The mom was going on about how they change transformars from cars to robots, and the two boys where just saying stuff like "we love Transformars, that is why we go to wallmart!" then the mom comes back and says "They love going to walmart because that have all those transformer toys that the love so much!" Well what was the stupidest and creepiest part of the ad was at the end the boys were standing in the toy aisle, well then out of no ware pops Megatron! and the boys are dumbfounded!

This made me think. Since walmart is basicly the devil, this new ad maybe targeted to Toys "R" us. Toys "R" us and FAO Schwarz are the only major huge Toy stores left. And I think this is targeting those two stores....

Just another way that Walmart is "Helping" You! Getting rid of other stores just to help you!

Have you seen this ad? if so what do you think of it?

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I like walmart. I hate paying more for overpriced junk at other retail stores when I can buy the same stuff for a much cheaper price at walmart. I was very happy when they built a super walmart about 1 mile away from where I live. It saves me a ton of money.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Save A Lot is a hell of a lot cheaper then Wal-Mart. Same quality of food, just different names. But Wal-Mart is slowly just walking over places taking over the small businesses. People say we need to keep the small businesses a live because of peoples jobs. Well, I worked in a small grocery, the prices are HIGHLY over rated, the people are very under paid with no chance at Health Insurance. Wal-Mart at least gives their employes benefits and such and a chance to move up.

I see Wal-Mart as the army, because you are picked from within first before they go outside. At least they are suppost to, but there is ways around that lil fact. Wal-Mart is the devil, I admit, but hey, it does help people quite a bit. Even though eventually they'll raise their prices, become a Monoply, get swatted down by the Government and then it'll start all over again with Meijers which is Wal-Marts Nemesis. They should make a cartoon outta that.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by RabidGoose
Even though eventually they'll raise their prices, become a Monoply, get swatted down by the Government and then it'll start all over again with Meijers which is Wal-Marts Nemesis.

What kind of monopoly would Wal-Mart have? I mean a broad monopoly like one over all other stores period is ridiculous. Since they do have such a wide array of products, and the fact that smaller stores are closing still doesn't really constitute a monopoly. If Wal-Mart was indeed the only store that sold such goods, which it will never be, and it raised prices because of that, then the government would intervene. But for now, they can't really bring about any claim of a wrongful monopoly.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Ah, I apperntly didn't understand the defintion of monopoly. I thought shutting down a bunch of other businesses, was it. Doh on my part

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I believe Wal-Mart have also bought Asda's (one of the UK's biggest supermarkets), it's got the cheapest top food brand's. Wow, Wal-Mart must be making one hefty turn-over nowadays.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
FAO Schwarz filed for bankruptcy....

www.smh.com.au...

So that leaves just Target...

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Well, if these small businesses and other places didn't have such high prices.

Here where I live, a Super Wal-Mart is still not allowed to move in because the mayor used to work at Safeway. There is some horrible price gouging going on over here. If a Super Wal-Mart was ever allowed to open, Safeway and Albertsons wouldn't be able to sell their crap at outragious prices anymore.

In Phoenix you can buy whole chickens for about 2 bucks, a mere 160 approx. miles away where I live, they go up to 6+ bucks a pop. Somehow they get more expensive on the trip.

And what's even funnier. For as many rich people this town has, there sure are a lot of poor people. Plus the cost of living is INSANE here. Which I find funny that a town with more rich people have even more poor people with crappy paying jobs and expensive rent rates...

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyCool21
I believe Wal-Mart have also bought Asda's (one of the UK's biggest supermarkets), it's got the cheapest top food brand's. Wow, Wal-Mart must be making one hefty turn-over nowadays.

In NJ, Wal-mart is not allowed to carry any fresh meat products because they do not reach the state health standard. What does that tell you about the states that allow them to carry?

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
A little lesson in economics for all you people that "fear" the super Walmarts.

So Walmart moves into town and they build a Super Walmart that offers low priced goods. Since they have a mega facility, many specialty mom and pop stores go out of business because Walmart sells it cheaper. The fear mongors say that once all the competition is gone that Walmart will have free regin to do whatever it wants because they are the only shopping option in a small town where all the mom and pop stores have closed down.

But that is false, the reason the mom and pop stores closed is that they could not compete on price. IF Walmart was to raise its prices above what a mom and pop store could provide you will see the mom and pop type stores begin to come back. With added service features like home delivery, extra service etc. This is the cycle in a free market economy when monopolies are created. The reason this can not be applied to the software industry ie Microsoft is because once a competitor begins to gain ground on Microsoft, the software giant simply "buys" them to negate their affect on the market often times the "bought out" Companies technology or code is simply discarded.

Since Walmart has no interest in aquiring small retail shops this type of aggressive market control can not happen in the retail industry.

The only small business owners that will survive is the smart one that can find a way to seperate his business model from that of the discount chain, whether by unique product, service or value added benefits.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I hate wal-mart, and avoid going there as much as possible. It is always filled with white-trash, trailer park hics, and fat women too lazy to walk, so they ride around in those little electro-carts. The lines are alawys too long, and the clothing quality is crap. The aisles are always cluttered with clothes on the floor, as people are frantically searching for that $5 shirt that's on sale.

Not too mention they rip-off their workers, asking them to work overtime without pay, handing out crappy hourly wages, finding illegals to work for them, as the Walton family sits fat, one of the wealthiest families in the world.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Not too mention they rip-off their workers, asking them to work overtime without pay, handing out crappy hourly wages, finding illegals to work for them, as the Walton family sits fat, one of the wealthiest families in the world.

Heh, welcome to corporate America...

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I have come to hate Wal-mart with a passion. Not only will I try not to shop there ever again, but I also tell others not to and why. With enough people doing the same, mom & pops retail store will stand a chance.

Same thing I feel with Home Depot. One moved in our town a year ago and I feel for the corners hardware store less than a block away.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Me and the wife joked about this: that there will only be 4 stores in the future: McDonalds, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy and Blockbuster.

Not only have they destroyed the 'mom and pop' stores, they have driven the prices so low with their mass-quantity purchasing power, that the 'neighborhood' shops can't compete.

But, I still go to the local music shop for CD's, and I'm willing to pay that extra 2-3 bucks per CD. The atmosphere is so much better in the small shops. You are a real 'person', and are treated that way.

And also, I have a larger selection of music in a mom and pop store. I remember Nirvana's In Utero had a song called "Rape Me" on it, that Wal-MArt wouldn't carry, until the band changed the name to "Waif Me"(whatever the hell that means:puz
. Kurt and crew caved, and were able to sell their album in Wal-Mart.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by nathraq
Me and the wife joked about this: that there will only be 4 stores in the future: McDonalds, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy and Blockbuster.

Close...Wal-Mart will be there. Best Buy? Probably...after they buy out Circuit City. McDonalds will have to start offering delivery service....Blockbuster? Lots of competition with cable TV/Internet with On-Demand video.

Liquor stores already deliver...what else do we need?

God, I don't know what I'd do without broadband...it's hard to believe that I once relied on 300 Baud dial-up.

john

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Fu*k a Walmart!

Transformers is the sh*t though!

[Edited on 17-3-2004 by Tamahu]

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 04:32 AM
link   
wierd I was just about to go buy some stock of Toys r' Us when I see their at a high point in their time. Apparently after a bad x-mas the company did some barganing and got Wal-mart to hold some items that Toy r Us will sell exclusivly... so I doubt they will go down without a fight!

Still wondering though... about the stock

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I can tell you right now that blockbuster is not going to last much longer. In-Demand, digital cable, and satelite tv is killing it already. Now with DVD's, its worth just buying the damn dvd instead of paying $5 to watch it for 4 days.

I have a family member who runs a Toys R Us store. He has mentioned how Walmart is not necessarily 'killing' Toys R Us, but Walmart has many more stores in..let me say, more 'out there' locations. In my area, they just built a walmart, and we have 3-4 close bestbuys, 3-4 Toys R Us, 3-4 Circuit cities..you get the point. This is one reason why Walmart is so successful.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
McDonalds will have to start offering delivery service

In some parts of long island it has for years. There is like a $20 minimum or something, but certain stores have been doing this for years.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
JSObecky,

In NYC, McDonald's does deliver.

<<   2 >>

join