It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple Questions for Mods concerning Moderatorship

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
During my time at ATS I have noticed quite a few threads that have come about as a result of people wondering about different aspects of the moderator program. Although I have not posted on all I have come across, I have read most and though they have been very informative, it still leaves the more inquisitive minds wondering.

I have assembled a list of questions that I would like answered. Since it seems that most mods seem to have fun in these types of threads I am hoping this one will be no exception.

I also realize that many of these questions have probably been discussed ad nauseum at some point or another, however, I'm guessing that there are many people out there that are wondering about the same things.

Most of the questions revolve around the process of becoming a mod.

Any mods that happen upon this thread and feel compelled to post, please don't think that I'm expecting every mod that happens by to answer all the questions. If everyone answers a couple, it should satisfy my curiosity, while not wasting too much of your (meaning the mods) time.

Here Goes:

1. How does one get nominated for a moderatorship?

2. Is the forum a forum moderator gets assigned to based on where one posts most often? Or is it based upon expertise?

3. Besides some exceptions is it a pre-requisite that a mod hopeful be registered as a member for a set amount of time?
i.e.-most mods have been here for approx. two years or more

4. When being considered for a moderatorship is it more important to be an expert in a subject, or to independently act as a mediator amongst posting peers?

5. Is the frequency in which members are promoted to moderators based upon membership growth?

6. Does one need a certain amount of posts to be considered? Stars? Flags? Threads created?

7. Once becoming a mod are you expected to spend a specified amount of time on ATS in a given day, week, or month?

8. I have never received a warning, but if one were to have a warning(s) on record could you still be considered for a moderatorship.

9. Once promoted do you get briefed on the full extent of your newfound responsibilities? Or is it more of a learn and ask as you go type of situation?

10. This one might seem a bit ridiculous... but.... Which type of individual stands a better chance of getting promoted: skeptics, conspiracy theorists, or those who are often fence sitters (like myself)?

I'd like to add a preemptive thank you to all mods who decide to take the time to answer my questions. I truly hope none of them are too silly, or way off base.

Though the questions are posed to the mods if any other members besides myself would like to pipe in or have additional questions please participate in this thread.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Osiris1953

Way Above Top Secret Staff Discussions.

2. Is the forum a forum moderator gets assigned to based on where one posts most often? Or is it based upon expertise?

It's largely random taking into account how busy a forum is and where holes need to be filled.

3. Besides some exceptions is it a pre-requisite that a mod hopeful be registered as a member for a set amount of time?

No

4. When being considered for a moderatorship is it more important to be an expert in a subject, or to independently act as a mediator amongst posting peers?

Meh...

5. Is the frequency in which members are promoted to moderators based upon membership growth?

It's one factor.

6. Does one need a certain amount of posts to be considered? Stars? Flags? Threads created?

No

7. Once becoming a mod are you expected to spend a specified amount of time on ATS in a given day, week, or month?

No

8. I have never received a warning, but if one were to have a warning(s) on record could you still be considered for a moderatorship.

Yes

9. Once promoted do you get briefed on the full extent of your newfound responsibilities? Or is it more of a learn and ask as you go type of situation?

Both.... but more the latter, otherwise it's information overload.

10. This one might seem a bit ridiculous... but.... Which type of individual stands a better chance of getting promoted: skeptics, conspiracy theorists, or those who are often fence sitters (like myself)?

Gah?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

Rock on Gools. Thank you so much. I know that I could have U2U'd one of the mods that I deal with on a regular to semi-regular basis, but that seemed rather rude and wouldn't help any of those who had the same or similar questions.

I realize this will probably be a very short lived thread. My only hope is that it will help out some other members understand more about the moderator program.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

As far as question ten... I figured it was a bit out there, but ya never know. It never hurts to ask. Right? Thanks again.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
If any member or mod has something to add please feel free. I appreciate any posts that could further our knowledge of ATS.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Interesting thread...... thanks OP!

whoa!!! I just noticed a change to the ATS logo above with a a red flag that looks to be sporting a possible Morse code for the letter "N", if I recall correctly.

How long has THAT been there, and what does it mean, and why is the ATS backwards, and ............

along with denying ignorance, I suppose I should deny spurious perhsonal reactions to change as well.....

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Osiris Im going to answer a few of the questions for you and bear with me Ill try to get to the them all eventually

Never ASK to be a moderator. Members stand out based on the quality of thier posts and thier ability to contribute and participate in our collective goal of denying ignorance etc. Quantity is not really a consideration nor is amount of time a member has been on ATS.

Forum assignments are given by admin. Certainly expertise in a particular area will be considered. Supers do not have a specific forum but rather cover them all.

Edit to add: As Gools states its usualy random based on need. SOme forums like 911 need more staff due to volume, some need less

Nope I was offered a staff position after I had been here 4 months or so. Stars, flags and threads don't really play a part either

I think being a mod is kind of like being a jack of all trades etc. Broad based experience is much more important that beign an expert in a narrow area.

As an all voulenteer staff there are no absolute requirements. RL events as always take precidence over ones online life. But we love ATS as much as everybody else and staff position or not we would be here posting away.

*looks around* raises hand. Other staff had an occasional warning as well. Falling off the decorum wagon once and while will not preclude you from a staff position. A consisten patter of it will however.

Yes there is an orientation and alot of discussion about what we do and how we do it. Perhaps one of our newer staff can chime in.

Actually none and all. The staff truly represents a cross section of the board. You have liberals and conservatives, skeptics and belivers, people with strong religious beliefs and those with none. Its truly a representative mix.

[edit on 8/12/08 by FredT]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

I can't speak for others, but I wouldn't dream of asking to be a mod. The thought of it just seems petulant. I personally wouldn't consider someone who was asking to become a mod.... if I were in your position that is.

Well that's good to hear about warnings... because now that I think about it, I did receive a slap on the wrist for excessive quoting. Actually, I think it may have even been you that gave it to me.

Thanks for the in depth answers... and it would be nice if one of the newer staffers would happen along to pipe in about the orientation process, but if not, oh well.

Thanks again.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Thanks for the compliment argentus. Hopefully it answered some questions for you as well. I've noticed you around quite a bit lately. Let me take the time now to say that it's nice meeting you.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Classified

Classified

Classified

Classified

Classified

Classified

Every waking hour..... errrr, I mean Classified

Classified

Classified

First you must be at least certifiably insane by a clinical definition. The rest of the criteria is Classified.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

LOL.... for some reason I expected at least one of you to post a response such as this. Good stuff. I'm certainly not clinically insane, but does insanely quirky count? Thanks for the humorous response.... that is... unless it wasn't meant to be humorous.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Ahh damn.... Fred let all the super secret stuff outta the bag.

Ima goin' hide in the corner for awhile.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Yes Fred, and Gools certainly disclosed the classified stuff. Well... maybe it will be your job to institute the cover-up. I guess you'll have to silence me first. Are the ATS sponsored MIBs? You might need them handy.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
blah blah blah! don't listen to these guys.

$1000 cash, brown paper bag, small denominations only, back alley, second door to left, knock twice, ring bell once, be there in half an hour, I'll fill you in

[edit on 8-12-2008 by worldwatcher]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Please MM, no food or drink in the Board Business forum.

...and....as always....No shirt, No Shoes, NO DICE!

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 8/12/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
blah blah blah! don't listen to these guys.

$1000 cash, brown paper bag, small denominations only, back alley, second door to left, knock twice, ring bell once, be there in half an hour, I'll fill you in

[edit on 8-12-2008 by worldwatcher]

You forgot non sequential

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Now now WW... don't tempt me. I know from other threads that we have both participated in that you don't live incredibly far from me. I don't know where exactly... but from what you have said in the past, it's only a two to three hour drive away. So.... drop the fee a bit, and you potentially have a deal.

Obviously I'd also need a bit more time.

[edit on 12-8-2008 by Osiris1953]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Excuse me your lizard majesty.... you're video doesn't work. Maybe MM's sugar was low. Sometimes eating isn't a choice.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I have hazy memories of a life before becoming staff...

I also have hazy memories of being forcibly administered highly experimental psychtropic medications, forcibly made to watch ATS propaganda highlighting an unending loyalty, told that all outside interaction with anyone not associated with ATS was tantamount to torturing kittens and that there was really no reason to do anything else aside from ATS as ATS had everything I needed.

*All Hail The SkepticOverLord*

Both. The veterans are very patient and emphasize a gradual integration into the fold as it were so that the members do not suffer the accidents og learnings....

We really are here for the board. And I would be here regardless of my position. In fact, I think that they are crazy to have decided that a crazy like me should be given such a responsibility...

<<   2  3  4 >>

join