It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

False Prophets on ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
There has been concern shown by many over the numerous threads which have sprung up, and continue to do so, on the topic of personal predictions about the world coming to an end or the latest alien invasion etc. Many genuine ATS members have also expressed concern that many of those 'prophets’ are blatantly posting rubbish for easy points.

I am not talking about genuine discussions about world developments or even general discussion about alien invasions or the end of the world, everyone on ATS knows the kind of threads I am talking about. The ones that start with an attention grabbing subject line that proves to have nothing to do with the OP. Then they usually ramble on in pseudo bible speak (and usually with incomprehensible punctuation and grammar) and end with a date when their predicted event will happen. They are also those members who hardly ever, if at all, post in anyone else’s thread and only post with their crazy predictions and not much, if anything, else.

I am not saying whether or not those posts should be posted, that is not the point. Those posts are obviously just to generate points and do not contribute to the overall ATS community in any way.

Obviously people should be free to post predictions, hey maybe one of them might get one prediction right one day, but how about some new rules for those posts to deter the BS posting just for points?

Someone suggested in another thread closing all date specific predictive posts until after the date has occurred, then the OP has the chance to have their prediction noted without rewarding BS posters who are just doing it for points and negative attention. Maybe that would be an idea that would help?

But maybe a better idea would be to have a forum where all those type of predictive threads should be posted, and would be moved to if posted anywhere else, and in that forum NO POINTS are gained by the OPster from replies. It would be similar to 'The Gray Area' forum but specifically for your own predictive date specific posts. For example, "UFO to land in my backyard on ...", "Alien Invasion at Superbowl will happen ...", and "Massive Earthquake to occur in New York on Tuesday ...", that kind of thing.

That would be fairer than simply closing those threads as some valuable discussion may occur. But, it would ensure that BS trolls posting and posting for points would be deterred while maintaining an environment for speculative discussion.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I brought this up myself earlier this season.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
But I am suggesting what could be done about it. Stopping points being allocated would deter BS while allowing for speculative posting.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Nice thread UFOPZ. Great that you brought this thought into a thread.

I think it would be a good idea to make a new topic for those sort of predictions to keep the point-thirsties off the top post board.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
i would counter that a date-specific or a subjective 'event'-specific prediction posted on ATS is not for the points but for the Platform or Springboard to 'publish' their worldview.

You seem to think that the mere 1-2k 'points' one may accrue, for a thread you or I determine to be 'unworthy'
(for any number of reasons)
is something that must be addressed.... to maintain a pristine forum.

consider that the volume and variety of threads is what makes this site at least a stop-over for both web surfers and Aficinado-members such as myself...

thanks

[edit on 12-8-2008 by St Udio]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by UFOpsychiczebra
There has been concern shown by many over the numerous threads which have sprung up, and continue to do so, on the topic of personal predictions about the world coming to an end

I consider myself new to all this although I've been reading sections of the site for over a year now I've only just started participating and spreading my wings.

I came here with a keen interest for the unknown, especially the afterlife, paranormal and UFOs and the more I looked around the more knowledge I gained on these subjects and the more enjoyable ATS became....... until I clicked on a link to a thread, from a thread I was participating in, that really freaked me out. I won't say which one to save being flamed but it has given me sleepless nights ever since.

I keep trying to get on with my little life but the subject content of the thread hangs in my mind like a dark cloud and having children I don't know whether I should act on the thread author's warning or shake it off as nonsense.

I didn't want a warning about our future, I did not sign up for that and I recieved no warning as to where the link was taking me.

What I do know is that I will not be following any more links to other threads around here which is a shame as the majority have great relevance.

I'm glad somebody has addressed this. To me it is al ot more than someone point scoring, it is someone messing with people's minds.

[edit on 12-8-2008 by Omniscient1]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Omniscient1

You're right about those posters wanting more than JUST points, most of time they are trying to 'mess with people's minds' etc. as well, usually negative attention is part of it. There are of course several ATS members who are well known for simply generating hate threads towards themselves just for negative attention, but that is another issue. Depriving those 'prophets' of points would certainly deter them though, the rest the mods must decide on a post by post basis.

I advise not clicking on a link in the thread where the poster has not said exactly what the link is. You will often find the dodgy links are from those who simply hint at what the link is about. Also, if your still concerned see if there are any replies in the thread already where people have commented on the link posted, that should give you a good idea of whether you are happy to visit it or not. I hope that helps.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I also had something to say on the matter.

In fact I offered prizes.

abovetopsecret

Your take is more polite.

[edit on 8/13/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
i would counter that a date-specific or a subjective 'event'-specific prediction posted on ATS is not for the points but for the Platform or Springboard to 'publish' their worldview.

I would tend to agree with this. I think that a number of posters on sites such as ATS probably think that their voice should be heard and they use sites such as this one as an avenue to do so.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I agree with St Udio on this one.
I keep hearing about point motivated threads.
Honestly, who really does this? Points mean N O T H I N G.
You cannot do anything with them outside of this site.
There are ways of receiving big points, but I doubt the hoaxer would ever indulge in those activities.

I think attention is the big motivator here.
MUST READ threads are all hype and little substance.
zomg I haz alienz.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadow watcher
... I keep hearing about point motivated threads.
Honestly, who really does this? Points mean N O T H I N G.

Why do you think you KEEP reading about it? Because many people know it goes on.

If points mean nothing to no one at ATS then why are they awarded at all? Think about that. Clearly the forums owners know they mean something or they wouldn't waste their time rewarding positive and constructive behaviour with points!

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
I also had something to say on the matter.

In fact I offered prizes.

abovetopsecret

Your take is more polite.

[edit on 8/13/2008 by schrodingers dog]

Great idea! Prizes!

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
But to what end??
An extra 500 points here or there equal squat.
I have mentioned in many threads that the whole system should be scrapped.
Perhaps I am missing something obvious that is attached to jonesing for points.

>Does it establish credibility?
I doubt it. If the poster is a moron, he wont sound any smarter with 1000 points under his name.
>Are the points good for ATS commerce?
Nope, no free mugs or t shirts when you reach a set number.
>Will they allow me into secret societies?
Not unless you call RATS a club. Also, if RATS was the ultimate goal, that place would be swarming.

I just fail to understand that whole concept.
I would love to hear another POV on this.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
You don't get awarded anything near the amount of points you used to get anymore, and without points they would have to make the avatar additions either a thing of the past or open to everyone right off the bat, i can imagine the hit and run squad (those who post hoaxes and run when caught) i can imagine those users and bots using the ability to add words to their avatars adding a lot more offensive material, or using their avatars to advertise, even with the fastest mod it would still be seen by many, and bring unwanted attention from those who don't wish us to be talking about controversial subjects here especially with this site being available to a lot of people of different ages.

having said that if you don't reply then the points earned is fewer, so it seems to me all points earned are deserved one way or another by everyone.

As for so called Prophets just here looking for points, they very seldom seem to gather a lot of points before they give up, i cant see anything being done to stop them sharing their Prophecies, and to be totally honest why should it? many many people believe what they say is truth, it is not a crime to speak your mind, unless it breaches T&C, its also not a crime for many people to believe in what they say.

Sometimes a small glimpse of hope is the difference between sanity and insanity, if someones vision gives someone a small amount of hope in a world of crisis then what is the harm? that can be said of the doom and gloom Prophecies also, because when members reply to those threads it always brings out the bigger picture, and allows the Prophecy to be turned inside out and most often than not shows the truth.

Even if it takes years, like the recent Jon Titor Prophecy about there being no Olympics after 2004, his Prophecies have gone on for almost 8 years and where believed by many in some part or other, myself included.

what if one day a true Prophet comes along, would it be fair to the rest of us if their Prophecies where not heard because a few people decide they want to scare the living daylights out of us? or some others don't like their stories being on ATS at all?

There are many many subjects that come to ATS that some take offense too, myself included, it doesn't mean i have the right to ask them to be stopped, i can either post in their thread telling of my feelings, or just not respond and try and avoid those kinds of threads altogether, people give my threads a read, so i feel an obligation to read those of others even if the subject is a little dodgy to say the least, i have to say that the only thing i can't really stand is the name calling and antagonistic way some users seem to respond in every thread they post on, i was under the impression there was some intelligence needed for a constructive discussion.

Great thread OP and while it has been asked before, this is one of those subjects its good to revisit, and because of the amount of traffic that comes through ATS, it gives those unregistered the chance to participate in a great subject without having to search and missing it, even if they had thought to look up that subject.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by UFOpsychiczebra
reply to post by Omniscient1

You're right about those posters wanting more than JUST points, most of time they are trying to 'mess with people's minds' etc. as well, usually negative attention is part of it. There are of course several ATS members who are well known for simply generating hate threads towards themselves just for negative attention, but that is another issue. Depriving those 'prophets' of points would certainly deter them though, the rest the mods must decide on a post by post basis.

I advise not clicking on a link in the thread where the poster has not said exactly what the link is. You will often find the dodgy links are from those who simply hint at what the link is about. Also, if your still concerned see if there are any replies in the thread already where people have commented on the link posted, that should give you a good idea of whether you are happy to visit it or not. I hope that helps.

Thank you for the response and advice which I will follow. I do find it a real shame that it has come to this though. I do feel that it will effect my experience here now.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
As a conspiracy site; it would seem as if there are those who believe this is what it's used for anyway?

It would seem many come here for the purpose of exposing someone's agenda if not just their own?

It might be more interesting if we classify these with an agenda sign code or number system, but, I guess a U2U is more common.

Some threads seem to have a religious salvation agenda that seems to be ignored by mods until someone complains. I suppose these are on the list of low threats even if it does seem unfair to the oposition. I'm glad they're not selling girl scout cookies here.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Why would anyone care about points? If it was up to me, they could remove points completely. Its not like they mean anything.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
May I ask who is going to judge which proficy threads are well thought out or just here to garner points.

May I also be the first to admit that I like my points to grow. I went through all the point stages to be able to U2U, join chat and to join R.A.T.S..

I do want to make enough points to work on my avatar and to keep paying my dues in R.A.T.S..

If the truth be known many members enjoy having a a large amounts of points. They just won't admit it.

When that U2U comes and says I have been awarded points for a post I feel like I've accomplished something instead of my normal babbling.

We sure don't need any more censorship that we already have. If you don't care for the proficy threads then simply don't read or respond to them.

[edit on 16-8-2008 by dizziedame]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Omniscient1
I consider myself new to all this although I've been reading sections of the site for over a year now I've only just started participating and spreading my wings.

I came here with a keen interest for the unknown, especially the afterlife, paranormal and UFOs and the more I looked around the more knowledge I gained on these subjects and the more enjoyable ATS became....... until I clicked on a link to a thread, from a thread I was participating in, that really freaked me out. I won't say which one to save being flamed but it has given me sleepless nights ever since.

I keep trying to get on with my little life but the subject content of the thread hangs in my mind like a dark cloud and having children I don't know whether I should act on the thread author's warning or shake it off as nonsense.

I didn't want a warning about our future, I did not sign up for that and I recieved no warning as to where the link was taking me.

What I do know is that I will not be following any more links to other threads around here which is a shame as the majority have great relevance.

I'm glad somebody has addressed this. To me it is al ot more than someone point scoring, it is someone messing with people's minds.

[edit on 12-8-2008 by Omniscient1]

I think I might be able to guess who has worried you so much. If I am right, I think the person is a complete hoaxer and should not be taken seriously.

I've spent a lot of time looking at this particular member's threads and posts and they're outrageous.

Could I suggest you look up more threads and posts made by the person who upset you - not predictions - and see if you can get a more rounded picture of that person. You may find that with a bit more information about them you see them in a different light.

Another thing you could try is to tell someone else - out loud - what this person's claims are. I did that, and the ones I quoted sounded utterly ridiculous.

I take no notice of prophecies, I seriously believe there is an agenda to scare vast numbers of people about the future in order to incapacitate them. If you can get enough people to think that the world will end in a few years it could stop them from making long term plans and enjoying themselves.

I've said this before. If people think they've only got to hang on for a few more years, they might not want so much out of life. If we all think we've got another 50 years to go we might want a bit more than the crumbs the ptb are currently leaving for us.

Plus, there is a lot of money to be made writing books about the future. By the time anyone can prove you wrong, you've taken the money and run. Well if you had any decency you'd run - some of them just make up more predictions.

If you'd like to u2u me to tell me more, I would be happy to hear from you.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I think along the same lines as Berenike on this, ATS has be going for a long time and attracted many members and with that popularity there are occasinally people just looking for attention. If you take the time and look back through the archives of ATS you will see that over the years there has been lots of people predicting the end of the world on this date and that date, yet we're all still here. Just keep smiling and reading these kind of posts as a psychological look into the mind of a hoxer and how bad his/her life must be to be on here hoaxing!!!!

top topics

join