It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Early / Harsh Winter for 08/09 ?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I must totaly agree with you access as you know i live near you and the last winter was the worst in my life.
The only thing worse was the ice storm, you will remember that access.
And most people agree on the fact that the comming winter is going to be harsh...
but i dont think we will let ourselfs be buried we will dig and shovel and carry on as humans do so well...

ps:it is scary tho...
spike

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spike Spiegle
I must totaly agree with you access as you know i live near you and the last winter was the worst in my life.
The only thing worse was the ice storm, you will remember that access.
And most people agree on the fact that the comming winter is going to be harsh...
but i dont think we will let ourselfs be buried we will dig and shovel and carry on as humans do so well...

ps:it is scary tho...
spike

Last winter I didn't think was too bad for snow..here anyway..but DAMN COLD!
Yes I remember the Ice Storm. That is DEFINITELY something I would not want to face.
This morning I went for a walk near my home, and saw 5 Canada geese that had landed in a football field nearby. This is VERY WRONG. They are 6 weeks ahead of schedule. I'm gonna go on record here and say that my area will have snow before Halloween. Last year we had snow on Dec.22, just in time for the holidays.
I also realized this week, that my air conditioner is still sitting in my basement. I do not own a fan, nor did I need to buy one this entire summer.
I NEVER, EVER, in my 37 years on earth,remember a summer when I didn't use a fan.
I'm gonna buy extra blankets and sweaters.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
true,but i remember when i was 6 or 7 we had snow on holloween so it is possible just weird...

[edit on 16-8-2008 by Spike Spiegle]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spike Spiegle
true,but i remember when i was 6 or 7 we had snow on holloween so it is possible just weird...

[edit on 16-8-2008 by Spike Spiegle]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I hate winter! That'd be uber stupid if we had some ice age winter!

I'm gonna start migrating!

But I can't! 'cause I'm broke!

Hey you, it's not funny! Who's laughing?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   
ooppps sorry about my double post i was trying something else.
I am still getting used to all the buttons

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   
An update.
This article appeared in my local newspaper.
It appears my observations could be right on the mark.

A well-loved, though oft mistrusted weather tome landed on newsstands this week predicting the coming Canadian winter will be crueller than usual -- even catastrophic.

www.nugget.ca...

Edit to add:
While the temp here hovers at an unseasonable 25 degrees,
A cold front swept through Alberta and poor Canmore woke up to it snowing!!!!!

6 centimetres rests on the ground there. WOW!

[edit on 1-9-2008 by AccessDenied]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   
You know Access. I have been thinking about that. We have gone thru an unusually cool summer. I think a very harsh winter is not only possible but probable o nine. Farmers almanac also said we are going to get hammered. And they are right eighty three percent of the time.

[edit on 9/1/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

It is like fall just clicked on over night up here. Lows are already dipping into the 40's and we just turned our heater on. My damned tomatoes aren't even fully ripe yet.

Hopefully we actually get some snow this year and not just 5 months of grey and rain.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
[re] I dreamt last night that we had received the first snow of the year and it was only early November. I was disappointed to wake up and realize it is still Hurricane season.
I hope for heavy snow each and every winter so I hope your hunch is right. Let it Snow!

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
The old folks around here used to have several ways of predicting the winter weather. Scoff to your heart's delight; I have observed that they are accurate. Here's a few I have noticed already:

Wooly-worms: those fuzzy caterpillars we have a lot of. The darker their coats, the harsher the winter, with the color nearest the head (if you can tell which end is which) being for the first months. This year, the wooly-worms are solid black.

Garden spiders: the harsher the winter will be, the more garden spiders you see building. I have seen over a hundred already.

Fogs in September: for every fog in September, we will have snow in that winter. So far, we have had two and counting.

Temps are lower than normal here in Bama (although it feels good right now), and storms have been pretty severe the last few weeks. that would be due to high temperature differences in air masses. So, yeah, I agree, a harsh winter is upon us.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Come to think of it I used my fan maybe twice this summer and that was to cool me off from vigorous activity.
I just read that link about the North Atlantic Oscillation/THC and they say northern Europe will cool but how about the states and Eastern Canada?

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
AD, I think you might be right. This summer has been a thoroughly wet, cold disappointment. For probably the first time that I can remember in 10 years, all of the kids back to school clothes were pants, sweaters and long sleeved shirts. I usually have to budget for at least another 4-6 weeks of warm weather and new shorts/tees. I actually had to pull out the fall jackets this week....how depressing

I too have heard and seen the geese and watched a squirrel feverishly burying stuff in my gardens. I have also been tempted on a couple of days to turn on my furnace and just added a sweater and socks...and that was in August!! Usually by August my grass is brown, and my C/air is going non-stop. I guess the savings on utilities will now be burned up by the furnace going on way earlier than usual

Hopefully the snow will be nice and not fall all at once...

Michelle

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Garden spiders: the harsher the winter will be, the more garden spiders you see building. I have seen over a hundred already.

Garden spiders are out of control at my house. I've never seen it like this. Space Cadet made a thread about the unusual amounts of spiders in her neck of the woods as well.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
In the So. California mountains, Native Americans forecasted the amount of winter rains by the number of acorns produced by our native live-oak trees. For the last 5 years, I've checked the mature live-oak tree by our front gate, whose fall acorn production has matched the following winter's volume of rainfall pretty well. Roughly one acorn per twig equals one inch of rain in the coming winter. So it's now disappointing to see an average of only 3-4 acorns per twig. The California drought will apparently continue. Our local meterologists have noted for some years now that the jet stream has apparently stayed well north of California ... the new normal?

Temperatures in September have been markedly cool and cloudy, much more so than usual. California, however, is naturally subject to huge annual variations in temperatures ... our average temperatures are more of a statistical mean than a reality.

Today starts the official beginning of Fall ... more clouds and coolness.

Here is a link to the Sudden Climate Change watch page at Whitley Strieber's Unknown Country website:

www.unknowncountry.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I made a whole thread about how mild this summer and past winter were!

Here in DFW we did hit the normal high of 108 or so but had a comparitively cool summer. Most days were only 98 or so and it's normal to have about one month of temperatures in the 103-105 range.

It's almost October now and hovering around 90. The nights are very cool!

And of course we have 8 inches of filthy wet snow earlier this year, which I have never seen before.

[edit on 22-9-2008 by asmeone2]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I'm in Anchorage, Alaska. Alaska just had the third coldest summer on record according to the folks at NOAA. We had no sunny days to speak of and everyone is suffering from lack of sunshine. Normally we get many more sunny days to make up for the short days in the winter.

The snow on the mountains this morning appears to be down to about 2,000 feet or nearly that. No sunshine again today

The long sunny days in summer are what makes living here worth it. I hope this does not become a pattern. Even Fairbanks has been cloudy with lots of rain which is not normal at all.

The ice in the Arctic melting is really odd as the temperatures on the Slope have not been above normal by any stretch; yet the ice melts.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Oh my God! 90 and cool nights! How can you tolerate that!

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by asmeone2

Oh my God! 90 and cool nights! How can you tolerate that!

Haha, the cliche is very, very, true. Anything under 90 feels cold to me. But then, I'm so acclimated to extreme heat and humidity that it all balances out.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join