It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US provides airlift for Georgian troops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   

US provides airlift for Georgian troops

www.timesonline.co.uk

Half of Georgia’s 2,000 troops in Iraq plan to leave the country by Monday to join the fight against separatists in the breakaway province of South Ossetia, with the rest following as soon as possible, their commander said.

“First of all we need to remove 1,000 guys from here within 96 hours, after that the rest of the guys,” Colonel Bondo Maisuradze told The Times this morning.

“The US will provide us with the transportation,” he added.

Georgia had said initially that it planned to withdraw just half of its contingent in Iraq.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
It is clear that US has chosen the side of Georgia. Most likely no one expected they wouldn't, but that they would get involved directly surprises me.

What if one of these planes will be downed in Georgian airspace?

I wouldn't think Georgia is so dependent on these 2,000 troops but apparently they are.

US commanders in Iraq said it would have no significant consequences for the stability of the region they were deployed in Iraq.

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The US really has no choice in the matter. They HAVE to support Georgia. They have been our allies in Iraq and it would be a pretty poor showing if we didn't support them when they needed us. It's only airlift at this time though, so it's not as if we're sending troops or weapons right now.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Those troops wouldn't make any difference, just more cannon fodder for the Russians. I'll bet that the Georgians are praying their asses of that Russia attacks one of these aircraft. Then the US will not need to bother with taking sides. This could be all part of a plan.

Regards,
Maestro

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
It actually has started already:

BAGHDAD (AFP) — Georgia's 2,000 strong contingent in Iraq began to return home on Sunday to redeploy in the conflict in its breakaway province of South Ossetia, a US military spokesman said.

"Flights have in fact begun today and Georgian forces are redeploying," US military press spokesman Major John Hall told AFP.

"We are supporting the Georgian military units that are in Iraq in their redeployment to Georgia so that they can support requirements there during the current security situation."

The departure of the soldiers from Georgia -- the third largest contributor to coalition forces in Iraq after the United States and Britain -- will mean some adjustments for the US military.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
The US is just returning the soldiers back to their country. They have no means of getting back. Not a big deal.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
The smart thing for the US to do here would be not get envolved, and drop the troops just out of georgian airspace, so as to not even risk getting sucked into the vortex. The USA is in no position to take on Russia. Besides, Georgia is their problem, the US should withdraw immediately, in much the same way Russia pulled out of Cuba.

*Zepherian looks at Bush and Cheney and facepalms*

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The last the US needs is *any* war in another country I would have thought!!

Giving logistical support to an ally is one thing, but they're risking much bigger stakes. Is it worth it? If Russia do shoot down a US aircraft over Georgia, is the USA going to just say "Oh well"? I doubt it.

Cold War III coming to a country near you...

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
The US trained Georgian troops. I hope Russia doesnt turn on us they (A Russian general) have already stated premptive nuclear strike is in their doctrine.

This entire thing could get out of hand, the US moving those troops = more Russian deaths. I wouldnt be to happy if I was Russia.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Memysabu

(A Russian general) have already stated premptive nuclear strike

Can you provide a link to this, this is news to me.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
i wonder if there will be a false flag attack on one of these planes and Russia gets the blame..

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
No way Russia is that insane to do a first strike on the US...

Someone has been watching to much Dr. Strangelove...

About time the US gets Georgian troops back into Georgia..

IF a US plane gets shot, or even shot AT... Then its on...

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I think its pointless sending them back to Georgia at the moment.
Georgia should keep them in Iraq for when its over so they have at least some decent troops left.
The Russians have destroyed Georgia by air and are still destroying it.
It will make no difference having these 2000 or so troops back in Georgia.
They would be honestly better off in Iraq.
Better off in Iraq I never thought id hear myself say that

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Yes, it's the supreme irony.

It's clearly a ploy by the georgians (or the illuminati) to suck the USA into a war with Russia. The more I read about this the more it seems like a setup war, done with months of preparation and synchronized with the olympics.

Question is, will the people of Russia and the USA fall for it this time?

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
reply to post by Memysabu

(A Russian general) have already stated premptive nuclear strike

Can you provide a link to this, this is news to me.

Do a google search for "russian general pre emptive nuclear strike".

You will see the articles cached, I cannot get them to load but you will see several articles from good sources. The guy was talking about how they added it to their military doctrine. This was about 3 months ago. Might even be an article here on ATS

[edit on 11-8-2008 by Memysabu]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
What's the friggin point sending them to Georgia?They are not super humans that can take on the russian might.They are basically getting transported to their deaths.Every footage on tele i see,there are countless bodies of georgian soldiers all over the place.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Attari
What's the friggin point sending them to Georgia?They are not super humans that can take on the russian might.They are basically getting transported to their deaths.Every footage on tele i see,there are countless bodies of georgian soldiers all over the place.

My guess is they want the US involved.

2000 more troops isnt going to help them at all.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Memysabu

Originally posted by Attari

My guess is they want the US involved.

2000 more troops isnt going to help them at all.

By the time they land in georgia,they will probably surrender by taking off their white undys and wavin em at russian tanks.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
The world could really use a WWIII right now. Hell, it would probably help the US get back on it's feet, after thousands are dead and more money is spent on useless war of course.

I bet the US wants to bait Russia, Russia has started this fight and the US is probably waiting in the wings to finish it.

[edit on 11-8-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
From another site (babelfish translated)

Israeli press reported the transfer of American weapon to Georgia

The USA organized it [aviamost] on the delivery to Georgia from Jordan of the weapon, which was being intended for the American contingent in Iraq, it reports NEWSRu.co.il with the reference to the Israeli newspaper “[Maariv]”.

According to the data “Of [maariva]”, the weapon is moved by the transport aircraft of Russian production, which belong to airline UTI. The point of sending named [Akaba] in Jordan, which has long ago been used by the USA as transportation terminal point for the deliveries in the Iraqi.

They are achieved since Saturday August 9 according to the information Of mIGnews, delivery from [Akaby] in Tbilisi.

Meanwhile The Of jerusalem of Post writes that Georgia called Israel to show pressure in Russia; however, in the official statement of the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs was contained only the expression of apprehension and call to peaceful resolution of conflict, but not the censure of the actions of Russia.

Itself Israel, according to the data Of the Of jerusalem of Post, in the recent months ended the deliveries of weapon into Georgia. After this, Georgia repeatedly requested to renew deliveries; however, in the Defense Ministry of Israel they came to the conclusion that there is a danger of the collision between Georgia and Russia, and they refused.

lenta.ru...

top topics

join