It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia/Georgia Situation News & Updates

page: 264
<< 261  262  263    265  266  267 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Perhaps they are leaving, this is about as quiet as this thread has been since the tanks started rolling. It has almost faded to page 3!

I thought by now with a week for news organization to get their stuff together there would be a lot more in-depth backgrounders and the like. Strangely there is not.

[edit on 17-8-2008 by Mainer]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The last news I got (from Portuguese TV) was that apparently the Russian forces were preparing to leave.

Some aid trucks from the Red Cross had some problems to convince the Russians to let them pass. Before that, the only aid was from Turkey (from the Red Crescent, at least those I saw) and this was being distributed in buses from Tbilisi.

The aid was only given to those registered to vote.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I am wondering what became of the American trainers that were in Georgia as the fighting broke out. I find it hard to believe that the US would pull every single one of them out. Surely they left a few around to provide on the ground intel back to the US?

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mainer

I thought by now with a week for news organization to get their stuff together there would be a lot more in-depth backgrounders and the like. Strangely there is not.

[edit on 17-8-2008 by Mainer]

Whatch this!!!
The Putin Systemwww.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Well...this thread is slowy fading away after 5000 replys!!

[edit on 17-8-2008 by airlouche]

[edit on 17-8-2008 by airlouche]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Its just because its thr weekend! The media slows down on the weekend regardless of whether there is breaking news or not. I guess they just take a break. Plus all the folks "in charge" of their various countries arent doing anything on the weekends either so it just all slows down.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Oddly enough the other threads about this conflict have picked up a lot today. Perhaps this thread just reached its breakpoint.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Calm before the storm.
Media is quite becuase they know whats coming.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Looks like S. Ossetia is prepping to join the Russian Federation.

South Ossetia President Sacks Government, Declares Emergency

MOSCOW (AFP)--The president of Georgia's pro-Russian separatist republic of South Ossetia, Eduard Kokoity, late Sunday dismissed his government and proclaimed a state of emergency in the rebel region, Russia's Vesti-24 TV reported.

"I have signed three decrees including one on the resignation of the government, another on proclamation of a state of emergency in South Ossetia and the third on setting up an emergency committee to settle the consequences of the Georgian aggression," Kokoity told the channel.

Meanwhile, looks like a Russian naval fleet is going to Venezuela and it's a stalemate at the UN.

Russia Looking to Send a Navy Fleet to Caribbean, Chavez Says

UN Members Divided Over South Ossetia, Abkhazia Status

[edit on 17-8-2008 by Regenmacher]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
When 12:00 Georgian time comes tomorrow and the Russians still arent leaving, then the news hill heat back up again you can believe it! I did see on CNN a little bit ago that Gates was quoted today as saying as under no circumstances would the US get involved in this militarily.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
'Putin has given us an order that everyone must leave or be shot'

www.timesonline.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
When 12:00 Georgian time comes tomorrow and the Russians still arent leaving, then the news hill heat back up again you can believe it! I did see on CNN a little bit ago that Gates was quoted today as saying as under no circumstances would the US get involved in this militarily.

This is a real wavering of traditional Western support for our allies. The threat of military force is what enable us to be taken seriously (the most seriously) of any nation on the world stage. To threaten lame duck measures like kicking Russia out of the G8 is not an effective punishment.

Long mark 8/8/08 as the day China became a world power, Russia regained its status as a world power and The United States of America began its long decline into history.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
U.N. aid convoy says Gori not badly damaged, in contrast to Georgian claims.

A United Nations aid convoy, entering the Georgian town of Gori, says the buildings there do not appear to be badly damaged.
russiatoday.com...
Earlier, Georgia said Russian forces were "destroying" Gori and other cities.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Mainer

Russia is sure taking it's time, I guess Bush's"leave at once!" and playing dead didn't work with the bear, things are not over , plenty of drunk Russians with free toilet seats. I'm surprised Ukraine didn't get more involved ,Do we have any more information on the humanitarian(weapons) aid? US still there? Any new stand-up from saakashavili , I'm in for a laugh ! Great thread, but for all of us i am glad things are cooling down!

[edit on 17-8-2008 by all2human]

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by all2human

Let's just wait until they finally leave. Then there are the 2 break-off States that want nothing to do with Georgia. It may seem like a lull, but it is a powder-keg situation. Alex Jones says he feels worse now than he did before 9/11. We shall see.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I do not know if this is posted yet, but it is a snag in Rice's "get out now!" plans.

Pledging to Leave Georgia, Russia Instead Tightens Grip

Even as Russia pledged to begin withdrawing its forces from neighboring Georgia on Monday, American officials said the Russian military had been moving launchers for short-range ballistic missiles into South Ossetia, a step that appeared intended to tighten its hold on the breakaway territory. The Russian military deployed several SS-21 missile launchers and supply vehicles to South Ossetia on Friday, according to American officials familiar with intelligence reports. From the new launching positions north of Tskhinvali, the South Ossetian capital, the missiles can reach much of Georgia, including Tbilisi, the capital.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Timeline of Events in the Russians Invasion & Occupation of Georgia

The information below is accurate to the best of our knowledge, but is subject to verification.

1 August

A pickup truck carrying six Georgian police officers is blown up by separatists.

· At 08:00, a pickup truck carrying six Georgian police officers is hit by two remote-control explosive devices on the Eredvi-Kheiti bypass road linking Georgia proper with the Didi Liakhvi Gorge, a Georgian enclave north of the breakaway region’s capital Tskhinvali. Five of the six Georgian policemen are severely wounded.

· The Government of Georgia decides not to retaliate in order not to escalate the situation.

2 August

Six civilians and one Georgian policeman are injured by gunfire coming from South Ossetian territory controlled by Russian peacekeepers.

· Six civilians and one Georgian policeman are injured by gunfire coming from South Ossetian territory controlled by Russian peacekeepers, following the shelling of Georgian villages in the South Ossetian conflict zone overnight.

· The Georgian-controlled villages of Zemo Nikozi, Kvemo Nikozi, Nuli, Avnevi, Eredvi, and Ergneti come under intense fire from the South Ossetian separatists with large-caliber mortars.

· Georgian law enforcers initially shoot back in self-defense, but are soon ordered to cease fire in order not to escalate the situation.

source

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by -Rugged Shark-

How to understand what we are dealing with??

PUTIN SYSTEM
www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by rixhell

I had to lauch a bit, when they said that it needed to be shown that Putin was in a healthy condition.
Anyone remember that pic with Putin fishing?
Atleast that pic, tho posed, didn't require photoshopping. Unlike Sarkozy

That documentairy shows how clever Putin is. But for those surprised by that, wake up... He was a KGB Colonel, head of the FSB....They don't hire dumb people.

When was that doc aired?

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Okay, I've been saying this all week, luckily someone noticed as well and articulates that sentiment here:

Is Condoleeza Rice stupid?

Has the US Secretary of State got her cassette stuck? For a week now she has been reiterating the same phrase “Russian forces must leave Georgia now” and for a week now the world has been informed of Georgian war crimes against Russians in Ossetia. The war crimes happened, the Russians call the shots now, Ms. Rice. Like it or lump it.

english.pravda.ru...

new topics

top topics

<< 261  262  263    265  266  267 >>

join