It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'God is punishing Canada'

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I stayed up super late last night so I totally missed it. I haven't heard if anything went down, either. Hopefully not, for the sake of the poor family.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
They didn't show up.

Funeral services for the young Winnipeg man who was savagely killed while on a Greyhound bus 10 days ago were held in peace Saturday, amid concern an outspoken American church group would hold a protest to further its own cause.

While there was no sign of the protesters by the time the service for Tim McLean began, about 250 people who didn't attend the funeral, waited outside Westwood Community Church, in case marchers showed up. Many said they didn't know McLean but they lined the road because they believed the McLean family had the right to grieve in peace and they were prepared to peacefully block any protesters.

About 10 police cars also patrolled the site.

www.canada.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SRTkid86
reply to post by ben420

everyone's online has been trained since they were born to fight in MMA

Ya, 'cuz thats totally what I said

if you ignore them, they will go away... if you react like you guys say you want to react, then they will be winning... because you won't be doing anything but giving them further media coverage... allowing more people to see they hateful message, and possible join their "cause".

No, they wouldn't go away. Its a freaking funeral man, people are going there to say goodbye to someone they loved and they have to endure people shouting "GOD HATES TIM MCLEAN." They would know what they're saying is pushing peoples buttons. These people don't need affirmation to know they're succeeding.

I fully understand the outrage here. but you are basically saying that you are only allowed to freely speak so long as it doesn't get my panties in a bunch... that is childish... everyone should be allowed to speak and do what they want, as long as it isn't infringing on someone elses liberties, and so long as it doesn't not physically threaten another person...

I believe they are infringing on the families right to properly mourn a loved one.

that is the diff between the way the majority of americans see and the way the majority of canucks see it.

Yea, I guess the difference is us canucks are more willing to stop something we think is wrong.

in america, we have thick skin... we also respect that everyone is entitled to say and think what they want, so long as it isn't hurting anyone else.

in canada, you are worried about upsetting people and being politically correct.

No, we're worried about the family. These people didn't want attention, they just wanted to mourn. Now this thing has snowballed, and not only will media be at the funeral, there will be a bunch of friggin nutcases picketing and spewing hate speech.

nothing wrong with either way of thinking IMO, it just depends on how much you value you right be TRULY being able to speak freely (I personally don't think what you guys have up there is free speech since you can have legal reprecussions from things that are said.)

Do you honestly think you have free speech in America? Are you delusional? Have you not been aware of your eroding rights over the last couple years? If you really think you have freedom of speech, head over to an upcoming protest.

Oh, but don't forget, you have to stand in your "free speech zone."

And also don't forget your permit to exercise your right to free speech.

if i was worried about someone calling me a fag and saying that god hated me, i would move to canada where i would be safe from that kind of ridicule. but i personally believe that a person's freedom of speech trumps my comfort. i will never hold my tongue for fear that it would offend somebody, and i would never expect someone to do the same for me.

This is a completely different scenario then some random guy walking up to you on the street and calling you a fag. They are going to stand outside a guy's funeral and scream hate speech about a man who died a gruesome death. In all my life, I've never held my tongue for fear of offending somebody and getting arrested for it, because that's just not how it works.

You seem to have the impression that if you insult anyone up here you can get arrested. Umm, no, get off your high horse and quit assuming we all have childish mentalities up here. Your freedom of speech is only limited when it comes to promoting hate. I don't know why you have a problem with this.

Edit: I posted this before reading that they didn't show up, I don't know how I missed that...

[edit on 10-8-2008 by ben420]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
They didn't show up.

Funeral services for the young Winnipeg man who was savagely killed while on a Greyhound bus 10 days ago were held in peace Saturday, amid concern an outspoken American church group would hold a protest to further its own cause.

While there was no sign of the protesters by the time the service for Tim McLean began, about 250 people who didn't attend the funeral, waited outside Westwood Community Church, in case marchers showed up. Many said they didn't know McLean but they lined the road because they believed the McLean family had the right to grieve in peace and they were prepared to peacefully block any protesters.

About 10 police cars also patrolled the site.

www.canada.com...

Thats great news, I'm so glad they got the chance to mourn in peace.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by flyindevil
reply to post by Demandred

These people are very wrong morally (obviously), but how are they not christian?

They are not "christian" or rather as I prefer (correctly) to call believers "Sons of God" because they disobey Yeshua's command to "love one another as I have loved you"....they also haven't studied their bibles very closely because judgment does not come until the "last day"...and we ain't there yet. so when ANYONE tries to tell me that GOD is judging this or that by sending natural disasters or murderers to kill our loved ones I have to call BS on it cause HE doesn't give any of HIS children death and destruction - Phelps besides being completely wrong is a disturbed individual oppressed and led by Satan...case closed...

[edit on 10-8-2008 by realshanti]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
@ realshanti

couldnt have put it better myself, this church is an abomination and shouldnt have any right to to call themselves christian

[edit on 10-8-2008 by Demandred]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
On the right hand side of the below article there are other recent articles pertaining to this incident as well.

I personally agree with Tim's mom, treatment and punishment should go hand in hand.

Mother of Greyhound slaying victim repeats call for tougher laws

Canada needs tougher legislation for people found not criminally responsible for their offences, the mother of a man beheaded on a Greyhound bus said Thursday.

Speaking during a vigil at the Manitoba legislature, Carol de Delley said federal law must be revised so that people with mental illness found guilty of a crime cannot eventually be released.

"In Canada, the question here becomes treatment or punishment," she told a crowd of about 150 people. "Why not both? I believe that treatment and punishment should go hand-in-hand."

www.cbc.ca...

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join