It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama says if Americans inflated their tires properly we would save oil!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
The reason this is funny is because EVERYONE allready knows this....it's like yeah ok thanks BO, do I get a discount at Jiffy Lube if I mention your referral. Oldest advice around, it's always in pamplets and radio commercials, ect... We don't need to be pandered like a bunch of morons, give us some substance BO not something you got from a stop at your local Shell station while watching those lame TV's.

That is why this is funny to me. All you people saying, well he's got a point. No!? Really!?

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by GoldenFleece
Not dumb at all. Analysis of that statement showed it would save about three-fourths as much as offshore drilling would produce. Not quite what he claimed, but close.

Hi GoldenFleece. What analysis are you referring to? Because what I saw actually showed it would save more. Four times more.

Hey BH. I was referring to an ABC News analysis. Here's what the reporter who did the story says on an ABC News blog:

Politifact Finds Obama's Tire-Inflation Claim True

August 05, 2008 10:05 PM

Our friends at Politifact have also looked into Sen. Barack Obama's claim about tire inflation and found it to be true -- not merely that car tune-ups and proper tire inflation will save millions of barrels of oil per year, but that it will save more energy than new off shore drilling would yield.

No one knows for sure, of course, which may be one of the reasons why our experts disagreed with Obama's claim that this conservation method would save more energy than new off shore drilling would yield.

But the salient point is that such measures are serious. Why the Republicans are mocking them at a time of energy crisis seems bizarre.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

blogs.abcnews.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
if you inflate you're tires...ect then you can save a little on gas....but offshore drilling WILL NOT reduce oil costs.... reason: the bush admin. made it so oil company's don't have to pay tax...now they just control the oil costs...( the real per gallon of gas should be around 1.80 cents)

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
What about using state emissions tests to actually check GPM and see if cars really should be on the road???

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krieger
WHAT THEORY AND OTHER NEOCONS!

First of all, I guess you don't know the definition of 'neocon' because you are totally wrong. You do realize that to be a neocon, one must have been a liberal first right?
You should learn facts first instead of spewing liberal talking points.

THE REPUBLICANS BLOCKED OIL DRILLING OFF SHORE AND IN ALASKA! NOT THE DEMOCRATS! THE DEMOCRATS ACTUALLY TRIED TO FORCE OIL COMPANIES TO DRILL OFF SHORE AND IN ALASKA BUT THE GOP BLOCKED IT! Proof in my Siggy.

Sorry, but I just had to laugh.

Goodness, where to begin?
First, your siggy only talks about the acres which Congress said the oil companies can drill on so you really have to back up your other claims that republicans blocked offshore drilling and drilling in Alaska. The dem's did not try and force oil companies to drill offshore and in Alaska.

What on Earth are you talking about? Where did you get this ludicrous info? Libroids.com?? Nothing from your OP in the thread from your siggy refers to any of these points, so back them up or shut up!

Now, regarding the acres of land which your siggy does mention. This is also misleading and purposefully disingenuous. Yes, Congress said that oil companies could drill in these acres on land BUT the exploration has not been done. The oil companies don't want to spend the billions of dollars to explore land that MIGHT have oil but more than likely, will not have oil. This is why Congress said they could drill there. The oil companies want to drill where they know the oil is located which is offshore and alaska and other locations on land.
So that article is very dubious and nothing but liberal propaganda.

Off shore drilling will produce 200,000 barrels of oila day starting in about 15-20 years.

Good Lord!
Stop getting your propaganda from "libroids.com".
We could start getting oil out of the ground in 2 -5 years.
And it's not 200,000 barrels of oil a day, it's 3 million!

Source

Here is a snippet:

Eliminating the Congressional ban on exploration and production on the coasts and on federal lands that are currently off limits for exploration would allow for the production of oil and natural gas equivalent to about 3 million barrels per day.

Proper tire and tune ups will save about 800,000 barrels a day, starting today.

Another exaggeration.

So Obama is right, you are wrong. And please stop voting for people WHO BLOCKED OIL DRILLING!

Sorry, but Obama has been proved wrong and please stop voting people who spew incorrect information in order to stay in power.

The GOP BLOCKED THE DRILLING OF OVER 100BILLION BARRELS OF OIL IN ALASKA AND OFF SHORE! THAT IS TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS OF OIL THE GOP BLOCKED FROM BEING DRILLED!

You realize that constantly repeating false information does not make it true right?
Either back up your comments or keep your propaganda to yourself. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Sheeper

Sheeper....the 'point' is, that he (Obama) is getting slammed for something that the opposition Party has proclaimed, already, as mush as two years ago....or even five MONTHS ago!!!!

It's as if you and I agree on an issue, but we're both running for the same political office. YOU accuse me of agreeing with you, while you change your stance, so your minions can continue to accuse me of agreeing with you, AFTER you changed your position!! THAT is what McCain is doing!!!

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by 90301
if you inflate you're tires...ect then you can save a little on gas....but offshore drilling WILL NOT reduce oil costs.

Umm....have you been paying attention.

Just the talk of America beginning to drill again for oil has made the oil prices fall dramatically. Just think how much further they will fall once the ban is lifted and oil starts flowing.

the bush admin. made it so oil company's don't have to pay tax

Are you purposefully making ridiculous comments or do you just get your news from 'libroids.com'?

The oil companies pay HUGE taxes.
Exxon has paid 32 BILLION in taxes in just the past 3 months. Yes, 32 billion in taxes in just the past three months.

Source

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory

Good Lord!

Source

Here is a snippet:

Eliminating the Congressional ban on exploration and production on the coasts and on federal lands that are currently off limits for exploration would allow for the production of oil and natural gas equivalent to about 3 million barrels per day.

Your source seems to be a Newsweek article that is mainly just a Shell Executive's opinion of the drilling controversy.

It doesn't even sound like the author of the piece is convinced. Did you read the article? Did you meant to post something else?

[edit on 6-8-2008 by round_eyed_dog]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   

John McCain thinks it's a joke that the regular use of a tire gauge by American motorists would create 4 times more oil out of thin air than the Republican Offshore drilling solution. The real joke is that McCain, and Republicans think offshore drilling is a solution when it can be beaten 4 times over by proper us of a tire gauge

McCain is an idiot! Ha ha ha....
Drill, Drill, Drill!
Bomb, Bomb, Bomb.

Even more hilarious is the price that the McCain campaign is charging for a 70 cent tire pressure gauge. If anyone buys one of those, they are an idiot too.

DocMoreau

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I heard Obama getting testy today about his blunder.

He tried to defend it by saying "experts" say it is true. It might be true, assuming everyone is riding around on flat tires. How many of you out there are riding on flats?

If everyone gave up their cars and switched to bike we would save oil also. I bet you can't find one "expert" that would argue with that either!

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by anyone
McCain agrees with Obama"

When asked about the air-pressure issue during an appearance Tuesday night, McCain said: "I agree with the American Automobile Association. We should all inflate our tires."

link

It seems noone has seen this post. You all are talking to the wall.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory

Off shore drilling will produce 200,000 barrels of oila day starting in about 15-20 years.

Good Lord!

Source

Here is a snippet:

Oh Lord! Where to start!

The Bush Administration's own Energy Information Administration is liberal propaganda now? I wasn't aware of that!

Read this and stop making stuff up

You've got it all wrong. The land oil companies are currently allowed to drill on offshore will produce about 2.2 million barrels daily, and lifting the ban would increase that number to about 2.4 million.

The projections in the OCS access case indicate that access to the Pacific, Atlantic, and eastern Gulf regions would not have a significant impact on domestic crude oil and natural gas production or prices before 2030. Leasing would begin no sooner than 2012, and production would not be expected to start before 2017. Total domestic production of crude oil from 2012 through 2030 in the OCS access case is projected to be 1.6 percent higher than in the reference case, and 3 percent higher in 2030 alone, at 5.6 million barrels per day. For the lower 48 OCS, annual crude oil production in 2030 is projected to be 7 percent higher—2.4 million barrels per day in the OCS access case compared with 2.2 million barrels per day in the reference case (Figure 20). Because oil prices are determined on the international market, however, any impact on average wellhead prices is expected to be insignificant.

I'm sorry, but you are DEAD WRONG. Deny ignorance

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Again What Theory and RR, DO THE MATH!

OBAMA'S PLAN=800,000 BARRELS A DAY STARTING TODAY!
MCBUSH'S PLAN=200,000 BARRELS A DAY STARTING 20 YEARS FROM NOW!

Sorry, your guy gets spanked again.

Also, 20 years from now we probably won't be using oil for fuel any more. By then it will be biofuels, hydrocell, solar, so forth. So by the time McBush's plan kicks in... we won't be using oil.

So epic fail on McBush's plan as we probably won't be using oil by the time his plan starts to work!

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Famous "Jump the Shark" Presidential moments!

Dukakis had his picture taken in a tank.
Kerry voted for it before he voted against it.

Now Obama has his tire pressure gauge.

Obama is done!

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
reply to post by WhatTheory

apparantly you can`t read either at all - in no where did i attribute anything to obama as it was observations about saving money and good driving practises

stop trolling neo-con.

Let's not leave out that Obama has Visited all 57 States now, except for Alask and Hawai....

What a Jackass Obama and his hot air is...

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by VDOG.45
Let's not leave out that Obama has Visited all 57 States now, except for Alask and Hawai....

What a Jackass Obama and his hot air is...

You seemed like a mature person from the pic on your avatar, and now you post this. What a dissapointment, Sir.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
You all should really visit my latest thread. Obama has an excellent energy policy plan.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
for Obama's idea to be sound and realistic

He should have qualified his statement a bit more.

If all tires were constantly kept properly inflated, the extra energy and fuels used to run all those air compressors to inflate all those tire
would theoretically be a null gain relative to the fuel wasted from under-inflated tires.
One is just shifting the problem not rectifying the problem.
((And he's a Harvard Grad?!?))

Obama should have said for all drivers to use those foot pumps
to inflate all these underinflated bike, car, truck & RV tyres...
Besides....the physical activity of operating a manual hand or foot powered air-pump....would be therapeutic for the vehicle operator too!

[edit on 7-8-2008 by St Udio]

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

I love that idea! Foot pumps would help solve the obesity problem as-well. Thats a good way to kill two birds with one stone.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

thanks,

but what is obvious to us, is foreign to the aloof, educated candidates.

btw, i always carried a foot pump for my tires, all the years i drove...
instead of those cans of 'FIX-a-Flatt' that had foam & chemicals & propellants that can't be much good for the environment.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join