It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama says if Americans inflated their tires properly we would save oil!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

Most people drive automatic transmission cars, they cant choose when to shift gear.

Filling up your tires will save gasoline, not oil and really, not all that much. It wont save the counrty 10 billion barrels of oil, that is the funny part.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Krieger

Krieger, thanks for calling out the NEOCONS on this board!

If they had just taken some time to learn, then they'd know that firstly, Obama didn't just say keep the tires inflated, he also mentioned regular tune-ups.

And secondly, these same suggestions were advocated five weeks ago by a Republican that McCain is considering as his running mate, Gov Crist of Florida. these same suggestions were advodated two years ago by those 'liberal' lunatics at NASCAR. AND Bush's own Highway Dept, NHTSA, has also suggested it, saying it would save more barrels of fuel in one year than off-shore drilling would produce in four years.

Of course, Obama hasn't said NO to ALL drilling, he just wants it done scientifcally. AND he's considering opening up some of the strategic reserve.

And, finally, do you people realize where most of our imported oil comes from?? No, not the Saudis....Our dear friends to the north. We buy more from them than anyone.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Ummmmm? I checked the air pressure in my tires and the gas prices are still the same! When can I expect them to go down based on what I've done?

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by LunarLooney1

Were they at the proper inflation level? If so you will save fuel. If every driver in America, frak that the WORLD did this we'd save billions of barrels of oil.

But just in AMerica we could save 800,000 barrels a DAY starting TODAY if everyone had proper tire inflation and tune ups. McBush's solution will kick in 20 years from now and only produce 200,000 barrels a day.

Also, who first thought of this? Those evil liberals over at NASCAR! Oh and of course a couple Republican Govs, and the Highway people under Bush, you know, all thos evil Obama lovers that hate America...

Also, OBAMA SUPPORTS DRILLING IN ALASKA AND OFF SHORE ON THE 68MILLION ACRES OF LAND THE OIL COMPANY LEASE FROM THE GOVERNMENT FOR MILLIONS A YEAR!

[edit on 6-8-2008 by Krieger]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Who needs terrorists when we can do a better job.My thing is if someone talks to you intelligently they think your smart enough to ask a question when you don't understand. If you talk to you like an idiot ie all major news outlets and 90% of politicians plz dnt repeat what they say your only proving that you are one... just my opinion..

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I feel for u ppl u dont have much of a choice for ur new President.
Maybe if he stopped giving out old advice and promised to mass produce cheap electric/hydrogen ect cars...he might have a chance.
The reason i comment is what ever happens in the USA affects us Aussies as well.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

Sounds like you're the one who didn't read the article, only the first paragraph.

But who's really out of touch? The Bush Administration estimates that expanded offshore drilling could increase oil production by 200,000 bbl. per day by 2030. We use about 20 million bbl. per day, so that would meet about 1% of our demand two decades from now. Meanwhile, efficiency experts say that keeping tires inflated can improve gas mileage 3%, and regular maintenance can add another 4%. Many drivers already follow their advice, but if everyone did, we could immediately reduce demand several percentage points. In other words: Obama is right.

This is the second paragraph. You should read the whole article, it's pretty enlightening.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SvenTheBerserK
I feel for u ppl u dont have much of a choice for ur new President.
Maybe if he stopped giving out old advice and promised to mass produce cheap electric/hydrogen ect cars...he might have a chance.
The reason i comment is what ever happens in the USA affects us Aussies as well.

Very true, SvenThe Berserk, and this is how Obama plans on answering this very subject.

Obama Calls for 1M Plug-ins on US Roads by 2015 4 August 2008 In a speech in Lansing, Michigan, Senator Barack Obama outlined a broad energy plan that included a number of policy elements specifically related to transportation and fuel, among them the goal of putting 1 million plug-in electric vehicles on US roads by 2015. (Conventional hybrids, which appeared on the US market in 1999, passed the one-million sales mark in 2007. Earlier post.) As part of the focus on plug-in, Obama’s plan calls for offering consumers a $7,000 tax credit for the purchase of such advanced technology vehicles as well as conversion tax credits; for converting the entire White House fleet to plug-ins “as security permits” within a year of an Obama Administration coming to office; and committing to requiring half of all cars purchased by the federal government be plug-in hybrids or all-electric vehicles by 2012.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
In response directly to the OP, this is a drop in the pan to you but it is what my father has told me ever since I started driving. Any mechanic will tell you this.

This is not a ridiculous suggestion and I really find this to be another example of the reaching to find fault in Obama that seems to happen quite a bit around here.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Okay, so this may not have been Obama's SMARTEST idea, but it's still common sense!You dumb #s, he's just giving you advice!It actually DOES save you a lot of money.When you were kids, why did you fill air up in your tires?For more power and so that you used less of YOUR gas to make it go fast, right?

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
actually he makes a lot of sense. You save gas and your car has less strain when your tires are inflated properly. Everyone knows that, so it's only natural that if you inflate your tires and stop running on low air it would ultimately save gas.

If 1 person did it, it wouldn't make an impact, but if everyone did, well the impact would add up and make a huge difference. stop bashing him for having common sense. why such hate? he makes sense. give the man a break geez.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

guys, make the test yourselves

Obviously he is right, just don´t know if the comparison is correct in terms of figures but he may be speaking figuratively.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
What if people just started doing the right thing? I do think Obama has a point, but again he is playing to the people. He has a right to play it to the people, because due to the nature of who he is (African, Caucasian...etc) he has to make sure he is tight lipped with some things. I have never seen the world hate and love such a man as Obama (not since the days of JFK or Martin Luther King). I would love to see the day he becomes president and shows the world how much one man can make a difference. He isn't asking for people to become slaves or bow to him. He is asking for friendship, working together, and healing all this wrong in the world. What right does anyone have to point fingers at him when he hasn't even become president yet? But that is a right as well I suppose. Considering Obama is one of the most popular men alive today.

McCain has an ugly side to him. He is living off the smell of George W. Bush and their inability to change the world for the better. Every other presidential candidate is not worth the mention.

Everyone that goes against a possible African American president; is in fact...going against 400 years of slavery. Can anyone beat that? Can anyone challenge the symbolic gesture of having a black man as a president? I don't think you can...not unless you are Native American.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Policians allways talk useless crap like that. Wasn't it Marie Antoinette of France in 1789, who said:"If they haven't got bread, they should eat cake"? Probably you know, how she ends. Besides my car is quite new and in an over all good condition, i'm running on LPG now, so i haven't got to worry about paying the high prices for filling up gas/petrol. It all works fine for the moment, but i'm looking for an electric vehicle to be my next car in the future.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by qwertz

Actually, qwertz (cool name, BTW....I get it!) No, Marie Antoinnette never said that. She was just a child when that phrase was coined. It has been wrongly attributed to her, ever since....because of her infamy.

Just as, others have had sayings attributed to them, throughout history.

A little off-topic, but the song 'I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy', happily sung at many American picnics, is actually a derisive song, meant to make fun of the American Colonists who dared to break away from good ole' England. See, 'Doodle' back then referred to the underground gay men....hence, 'Yankee' doodle.....and 'dandy'.....see?

Anyway, this is just a slight diversion from the point of the thread.....I have alreadsy posted, please scroll up to see....I choose not to repeat what I've already written.

Just needed to add this little missive......

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
McCain agrees with Obama"

When asked about the air-pressure issue during an appearance Tuesday night, McCain said: "I agree with the American Automobile Association. We should all inflate our tires."

link

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory

Originally posted by drwizardphd
I hate to say it, but he's got a point.

No, he does not.
Obama did NOT say that it will just save you a little money.

Obama stated that doing those things will save as much oil as offshore drilling would produce. Two totally different things and it's very dumb on his part to even suggest such a thing.

Actually it would save 100% more than offshore drilling in the immediate term since the bush admistrations own numbers predict that offshore drilling will not foster any savings until 2030. Even if we call those numbers bunk...best numbers skewed for political purposes are maybe 10 years out?

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Dupe post

[edit on 6-8-2008 by GoldenFleece]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

What makes him think that the majority of Americans do not inflate thier tires to the proper level? I bet he doesnt even check the tire pressure on his tires, so whos he to say anything. I kinda take it as an insult that he would say such a thing, kinda makes me feel that what he is really trying to say is people in amerika r idouts......

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join