It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help identify this object please....

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Omg its a dot of light, how is anyone going to be able to tell you what it is,,,,wait, I can tell you. Its nothing, its absolutely useless. Doesnt prove or disprove anything its just taking up space on this website.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by alienj

lol.....ok.
Not really sure which part of the thread you haven't read....or internos' nice enlargements.

I didn't say it was anything and if you're not prepared to look at it in detail or read through the thread, then go annoy somebody else.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by NephraTari

Thanks for that, looking into it at the mo.

It probably is something cosmic, but i'm glad there are some thoughts on it anyway.

Would love a good quality, big scale version of the object.
Thanks again for your input

Edit to add, i don't think it was an aurora, it was just a bright object, didn't notice the colour until i zoomed in when at home looking at the photo on my phone.

It caught my eye because of how bright it was, just took a pic of it, and thought i'd ask for some help on here...

[edit on 4/8/08 by blupblup]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
It certainly wasn't a nebula - even ones that are visible to the naked eye require a much larger aperture than a camera phone and then a lengthy exposure time. Stars are brighter than nebulae so you couldn't photograph one without also capturing stars.

Could it have been a plane coming towards you with landing lights? This can appear to be stationary for a very long time - and very bright, certainly bright enough to capture with a camera phone.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Insomniac

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a plane.
No blinking lights, wasn't really moving as such.
I do look skyward fairly often at night and i've seen shooting stars, planes, choppers, even comet hale bopp(when it was about lol)....but i'm pretty sure it was none of these.

It was very bright and i spotted it a good five mins before i pulled over maybe more....the light wasn't blinking and didn't appear to be coming towards me.

i can't figure why they are little to no stars either??

Hmmmm...

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
You need a long exposure to photograph stars, that's why there aren't any in the picture. As you watched the object it for about 5 Minutes it couldn't have been a plane either as it would have revealed itself by then...

I don't know - a real mystery!

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Insomniac

Lol, thanks...that clears up the stars

yeah, i'm as intrigued as anyone really.
I hope somebody comes along and just says it is _____....whatever?

I watched it for a while whilst riding, then pulled over, took helmet off....whipped out phone...took pic...put my helmet back on, looked back up and it seemed in a slightly different position... came home looked at pic...didn't put it through any software.....waited because i was unsure whether to post or not but i decided what the hell, at least someone should be able to figure it out....

Posted it this afternoon.....and here we are.

I dunno

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by internos

Originally posted by fleabit
I'd be absolutely stunned if any camera phone were ever able to take pictures of nebulas. I don't think that's it, honestly.

I honestly have no clue: i've never heard before that it was possible, but i can't rule it out. We would need someone who makes observations frequently: sadly, i don't

M3 & M53 are both globular clusters. You may be able to see M3 with the naked eye under very good viewing conditions -- you would see a faint star that is a bit more blurry than others. You won't be seeing M53 with the naked eye.

As has been pointed out there is no chance in hell that you would be able to take a visible picture of a nebula with these camera settings: "1/17 sec, f/2.8, ISO 800"

I'm a keen amateur astronomer so I'm not just throwing out a random reply here.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

As for the aurora issue, it could be a random magnetic field line anomaly causing that specific area to be charged with high entropy solar particles, causing the said "aurora" image that you have photographed.

happens quite frequently, interesting a good find,

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by theability

As for the aurora issue, it could be a random magnetic field line anomaly causing that specific area to be charged with high entropy solar particles, causing the said "aurora" image that you have photographed.

happens quite frequently, interesting a good find,

Could what you are talking about just look like a bright glowing star/ball/object?

i didn't see the colour of it until i got home, and not properly until internos had enlarged it.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

abssolutely, the high entropy solar particles would create plasma as it follows the field lines of the magnetosphere of earth to the atmosphere creating wonderful colors and light.....

here is some explanation
en.wikipedia.org...(astronomy)

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Namaste ... all!

I must say WOW ... I'm was really fascinated reading through the first 2 pages in this thread, especially bc how you guys worked on this subject together ... internos & Co
... one day I should invite you to mine ...

I can not really contribute something with substance I guess.
And I must admit the first thing that came to me mind when I saw the green spot in the Original Picture was:
"There's a LIGHT .. over at the blupblup thread ..." LOL
You know the song? Here's the melody www.youtube.com... /this is OT

On a more serious note:
I was also thinking about some kind of nebula ... AND!!!
How does a piece of space mess/scrap behave when it's goin through the atmosphere, besides getting very hot? You know, a piece from an old satellite or something simular big out there ... there's tons of this junk and I just read here in this (german! sorry) article [www.spiegel.de...] that every 11 years the rate of rain/hail of ASTRO-GARBAGE (finally I found the word
) does highly increase bc of the cycle of the sun.
Couldn't it be that many of the unusual objects some see nowaday are pieces of astro-garbage glowing through the atmosphere ... the really huge one's who fall to earth in a not controlled way do leave massive traces on earth (says the article) and I highly doubt that any goverment and the military (who clean that up?) would like to publish such cases bc the pollution and climate crisis topics already get more and more worse ... but one day it's all coming down ...
Here's a link to a NASA site out of the article ("US Space Surveillance Network"), where reports of astro-garbage appearences are collected www.stratcom.mil... (hope it works for you, as it does not really here at the moment :puz
... The garbage pieces out of space do leave (long) traces of light on photomaterial of the astronomers/professional researchers!

And colliding galaxies have huge colorful effects out there but are surely not catchable by a mobile cam from earth

[edit on 4/8/2008 by guard]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by theability

Having read through that, i have to say i don't think that is what it was.
The descriptions given are not what i saw and the times of year that these are visible doesn't match up.

Doesn't seem right man.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
There is no way that's a celestial body (as in a nebular, globular cluster, etc.). That would be massively difficult with the best camera, without the aid of a telescope, long exposure time, and a tripod. A camera phone most definately did not catch this. It's something else, so nix the talk about nebulas.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

"A camera phone most definately did not catch this"

I hope you just mean a nebula, because i can assure you this picture was taken on my cameraphone/ phone with camera.

Someone posted all the details from imageshack about time/camera/exposure and so on back in the thread.

Edit, i found it

Originally posted by internos
Lol, while i was typing you found out how to do

Here are EXIF data:

Camera: Nokia N95 8GB
Lens: 5.6 mm
Digital Zoom: 4×
Exposure: Auto exposure, 1/17 sec, f/2.8, ISO 800
Flash: Auto, Fired
Date: August 2, 2008 10:25:07PM (timezone not specified)
(1 day, 8 hours, 50 minutes, 53 seconds ago, assuming an image timezone of US Pacific)

File: 1,944 × 2,592 JPEG (5.0 megapixels)
135,073 bytes (0.13 megabytes) Image compression: 99%

Aperture Value 2.8
Color Space sRGB
Components Configuration YCbCr
Compression JPEG (old-style)
Create Date 2008:08:02 22:25:07
1 day, 8 hours, 50 minutes, 53 seconds ago
Custom Rendered Normal
Date/Time Original 2008:08:02 22:25:07
1 day, 8 hours, 50 minutes, 53 seconds ago
Digital Zoom Ratio 4
Exif Image Size 2,592 × 1,944
Exif Version 0220
Exposure Mode Auto
Exposure Time 1/17
F Number 2.8
Flash Auto, Fired
Flashpix Version 0100
Focal Length 5.6 mm
Gain Control High gain up
ISO 800
Light Source Flash
Make Nokia
Camera Model Name N95 8GB
Orientation Horizontal (normal)
Resolution 300 pixels/inch
Scene Capture Type Standard
Shutter Speed Value 1/17
Thumbnail Length 2,980
White Balance Auto
X Resolution 72
Y Cb Cr Positioning Centered
Y Resolution 72

Two enlargements (same as before, but by a factor of 10)

Pixel resized

Resampled with bicubic algorithm

Diagonal stripe

there's a nice variety of colors.

Whatever it is, it looks to be interesting. Do you recall something more about it?
What was its behaivior in flight? Was it blinking, moving erratically, static, etc?

Thank for sharing, glad that you managed to extract the hi-res.

[edit on 4/8/2008 by internos]

This was posted earlier.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
camera sensor light. happens when your camera lense is dirty.

seen it lots of times

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Question Fate

Please share an example then

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   

I understand but under that explanation just remember it happens anytime!

but understood...

[late note edited] After looking through the image enhancements i thought of some images I had previously seen....

this ufo...
www.ufocasebook.com...

it reminds me of your image for some reason!

[edit on 4-8-2008 by theability]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by NephraTari

Hot pixel explanation

Its not so uncommon for that to happen. Ive had it happen to me a few times. The spots will come in different colors as well.

Another example

[edit on 4-8-2008 by Question Fate]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
ROFLMAO it was probably a firefly or something...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join