It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Factory Drops Labor Day For Muslim Holiday

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   

U.S. Factory Drops Labor Day For Muslim Holiday

www.wsmv.com

Workers at the Tyson Foods poultry processing plant in Shelbyville (TN) will no longer have a paid day off on Labor Day but will instead be granted the Muslim holiday Eid al-Fitr.

According to a news release from the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union, a new five-year contract at the plant included the change to accommodate Muslim workers at the plant.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8/4/2008 by centurion1211]

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
It's all about the melting pot being broken. Foreigners coming here to live but not assimilating any more.

We've always had multi-ethnicity (the melting pot), but instead we now have multi-culturalism (diversity) - which is not what made this country strong, and will only serve to divide us even more in the future.

www.wsmv.com

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
At least they are not slaughtering you,killing your life support and stealing your land. I bet Great Claw Bear would be sad about it.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by broli
At least they are not slaughtering you,killing your life support and stealing your land. I bet Great Claw Bear would be sad about it.

Maybe not yet. But we've also seen how the muslims operate throught history (1,400 years of atrocities vs. the 250 years you are apparently trying to take the U.S. to task for), so they've still got plenty of time.

Nice attempt at a deflection, BTW.
And your thoughts on this issue are?

+12 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Looks like I'm boycotting Tyson foods now. I'm sorry, give your musim workers the day off with pay, let the rest keep labor day, and make the muslim workers work on labor day. They don't want to assimilate, they don't get Chistmas off either, or Thanksgiving. That could actually make tyson more money, and deliver chicken to people that much quicker.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

Immediately to the insults and name-calling. Oh, and
a religion isn't a race.

Back to intelligently discussing this thread.

If American traditions mean nothing to you, how about the practical implications. Everyone else you know gets the Labor Day weekend holiday off - family, friends, etc. So now you're working away while they're all out celebrating and having a great time. No worries for you, though, because you get to have October 1st off - when no one else you know does.

Thanksgiving, Easter and Christmas next?

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
According to the article, the agreement is part of a new, 5 year contract the plant's Union has with Tyson. The article also states:

Union leaders said implementing the holiday was important for the nearly 700 Muslims, many of them Somalis, who work at the plant that employs a total of 1,200 people.

Nineteen-year plant veteran William Pentecost doesn’t agree with the decision.

"I don’t think it's right. I really don't think it's right," he said.

Tyson company spokeswoman Libby Lawson said by phone that, "This isn't a religious accommodation, this is a contractual agreement. The majority asked for it."

The change didn’t bother some workers.

"I think it's fine. I don’t have any problem with it. There's a whole bunch of them here, so they've got to do something for them," said worker John Smith.

So of approximately 1200 workers, some 700 of them are Muslim - more than half. When the union entered into the new agreement with the plant they were representing their members, the majority of whom are Muslim.

Sounds to me like the majority ruled in this case. Isn't that what we consider good old-fashioned American democracy?

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
The company spokesperson that answered the phone said that it was contractual and most approved of it?? Sounds like Tyson is union and has been firing the locals and hiring Muslim who have moved to the area. Wonder if they are out canvasing the major cities for Muslims to work there just to screw with the locals. If its contractual, I would say that this might be a way to get rid of they're union troubles by eventualy dumping all locals and do what IBP did. Hire only illegal mexicans and freezeout locals. This seems to be the cooporate mindset for quite a while now. Since Labor Day is a national holiday and the muslim holiday is not, I wonder whats next.

Zindo

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by PhloydPhan

Maybe the beginnings of another CT here. Food (sorry) for thought anyway. What would the muslims have done if they didn't get their way, threatened part of our food supply, or just quit and moved on to other jobs?

Anyway, I think that Tyson was being short-sighted in allowing this to happen by hiring a majority of workers that would try to force something like this.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Exactly. Good theory on how this worker imbalance may have been deliberately created by Tyson.

Wanted to add that my wife and I have already voted on this with our wallets. Just sent Tyson a message telling them that Foster Farms is now our chicken supplier until if and when this decision is reversed. I can imagine that they are this very minute also receiving thousands of similar messages from other outraged Americans.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Like you were going to eat tyson chicken after finding out all those unclean arabs were touching your food.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

First of all, i believe the term you were looking for is "Creedist" not "Racist".....

Anyone that has a concern about such exploitation of the democratic system is a Neo-Con/Nazi now?!?! Almost funny...

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Again the brainwashing shows.
"Democracy" rule by the majority the US is not supposed to be.
It was set up as a Republic.

Remember, Just think about a Democracy as 2 wolves sitting down with a sheep to discuss what to have for dinner.

So much giving up our old traditions to these foreigners is really alarming.
We are being pushed right out of our country.
Not conspiracy theory any more, but conpiracy fact.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhloydPhan

Sounds to me like the majority ruled in this case. Isn't that what we consider good old-fashioned American democracy?

No. This is American democracy:

Posted by Finn

...give your musim workers the day off with pay, let the rest keep labor day, and make the muslim workers work on labor day. They don't want to assimilate, they don't get Chistmas off either, or Thanksgiving. That could actually make tyson more money, and deliver chicken to people that much quicker.

Melting pot

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePiemaker
Like you were going to eat tyson chicken after finding out all those unclean arabs were touching your food.

Hadn't even thought of that. But, say, aren't the muslims the ones that won't touch anything after my dog does?

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I must be the only one finding this a GOOD thing. Think on it.

Muslim rules/customs forced on Christians -> Oppressed and discriminated Christians. US laws for suing + discriminated Christians = $$$ MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS $$$!!!

[edit on 4-8-2008 by merka]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

It's all about the melting pot being broken. Foreigners coming here to live but not assimilating any more.

We've always had multi-ethnicity (the melting pot), but instead we now have multi-culturalism (diversity) - which is not what made this country strong, and will only serve to divide us even more in the future.

www.wsmv.com

Thats exactly right centurion and it is getting worse every day.I am starting to wonder if it will get to a point in this country if it will turn into parts of the middle east in nature.Tribes and groups of people under their own rule and tribal warfare where you have unspeakable humanitarian crimes being committed.Everyone wanting to claim their ideology is the true one to be followed and the rest of us deserve to be systematically murdered in the name of their God.It almost seems as though the human society is actually de-evolving.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
It looks like Tyson has proven that they can break up a union. I wonder what will be next, no health care, no pension or 401K benefits? It is a sign of a weak local that let this happen to their members.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Boycot Tyson foods not only for the sociopolitical reasons but more so for your safety.

Read the facts...greater then 50% of American Muslims believe its their duty to end the devil America and kill all infidels.

Just take a look at Brittan and Norway as well as Denmark...the muslims have taken over there...it is a war people.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join