It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

meat on fridays?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   
okay, so i have a question for you "bible thumpers."

i know that in the christian (or is it just catholic?) you can't eat meat on fridays during lent. well what about church on saturdays at 5:00 PM? isn't that so that it would be like going to morning mass in jerusalem? so then why is it that you can't eat meat at all on fridays, instead of say from 5:00 PM thursday until 5:00 PM friday?

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
sorry, can someone move this to "Faith, Spirituality & Theology" in BTS where it belongs?

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
the "no meat on Fridays" issue is only Catholic.

And, for the most part, not very many Catholics these days.

ET3

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
For once I agree with the Kid,,, LOL

Just some Catholic and a few other churches, dogmas.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
you are really missing the point of religion if you get hung up over something s like whether or not God wants you eat meat on fridays.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
you are really missing the point of religion if you get hung up over something s like whether or not God wants you eat meat on fridays.

i don't have a problem with religion. i just wanted people's opinions. it doesn't make sense to me... and also, people do get hung up on far worse things.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Mannnnn!!!!!! I just wrote a huge paragraph on this, and when I hit post, I was not allowed to view this forum. I guess it was moved during that time.
Anyway, real quick.

The Church was founded by the Romans as a place to worship their Gods. There are no scriptures claiming to Start a Church. Church in the Bible = Pillar. From going to Catholic school for 12 yrs, there is a huge difference in what they teach from the bible, and actually studying the scriptures and meaning of the Bible. If they believed in the word of the Bible, they would not have appointed an openly Gay Bishop! Oh yeah this was my reply to Bible Thumpers!!!

As far as Sat Mass goes, at least at my church, it was more time to worship and gain more members due to the decline on Sundays. I know I did not want to go to church on Sundays during Football season.

I do not eat meat on friday because of the teachings in the Bible, not the Catholic Church.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 01:08 AM
link   
TrickmastertricK... thanks for the response. and i know about the differing teaching in the bible to the catholic church. i got my good ol' 12 year catholic edumacation as well, four of it being under jesuits (if that means anything to anyone).

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Yes, its just Catholics who can't eat meat on Fridays. Of course I'm verylapsed, which is my excuse for going to Burger King for lunch.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Hmmmmmmm.

How about checking the dietary conditions prescribed for followers of the Orthodox Christian religions during Lent and on Fridays.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Where exactly in the Bible does it say that you can't eat meat on Friday's during lent? A Catholic I know said it came about when there was an overwhelming amount of fish the fisherman couldn't get rid of. The VATICAN (not the Bible) ordered this, therefore, this order came from MAN not GOD.
I could be wrong here cos I've only dabbled in Catholicism but I live in a city that follows Catholic traditions regardless of what religion you are.

Just my two cents.

new topics

top topics

join