It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UPDATE: 5.4 Earthquake in Diamond Bar (LA) California USA 7/29/08

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Very interesting that many animals didn't sense this one. My mom called me and told me her 3 dogs just sat in their dog houses throughout the whole thing and didn't howl or bark up to an hour and a half before the quake. But my friend told me his cat was meowing constantly for 30 minutes before it happened. I live in the San Fernando Valley, so we felt a nice, big, rolling jolt out here.

May I remind everyone of the '94 Northridge quake and the crappola the government pulled with that one: all the radio reports that day stated it was between an 8.3 and an 8.9, depending on where you were in the San Fernando Valley. Magically, a few days later they declared it was a 6.9 and then a 6.7. How could they make such a gross error?? Well, they couldn't. They downsized it intentionally. Federal law states that FEMA must help with all losses to the citizens if the earthquake registers 7.0 or larger.
However, this had nothing to do with today's downsizing.... they went from a 5.6 to a 5.8 and then to a 5.4. All the triangulations must be made for a definitive and accurate reading by the USGS. And this only takes 2 - 3 hours to do.... not at all the case in the downsizing of the '94 quake, which took over a day. Sure, lots of electricity was out after that quake (I didn't have electricity for 4 days and was without water for 5 days) which could have partially contributed to the delay in triangulation but you don't make a gross error of a 2.0 difference in magnitude (+ or - a few tenths).

Another note of importance that was brought up on the news today: Today's quake had only about 1% (yes, ONE PERCENT) of the force of the '94 Northridge quake.
And I'll tell you the reason for that: The richter scale is exponential. A 0.1 increase of magnitude is a 10x increase in earthquake intensity. A 1.0 increase of magnitude is a 100x increase in earthquake intensity.

[edit on 7/29/2008 by pjslug]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Yeah I was only 5 miles away or so from the epicenter when it hit. I work in an Autozone and I was putting wash and wax stuff away and the stuff i had been putting away all fell on me and i just ran my as* out the door.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
It was a nice little jolt... ha ha

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I was driving and didn't feel a damned thing

I think there is nothing scarier than a big ass earthquake! At least this one was wussy...

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
How strange.I live 80 miles away from the epicenter.My daughter saw me about 10:30 and asked me if we had an earthquake.I check ed the USGS site and said.no a small one in Barstow during the night but we wouldn't have felt it.
She said she had a dream the night before that we had an earthquake.
You should have seen her face when this one came rolling in! Felt it pretty well here on the coast and last at least 30 seconds.With the water table just 20 feet down in this part it feels like a bowl of jello when a tremor hits and shakes the ground a little longer here.
I asked her to please keep me posted if she has any more dreams like this.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by calcoastseeker

Both myself and one of my mom's friends had premonitions of the '94 quake about a week before it happened. I also predicted several of the big aftershocks seconds before they happened. My neighbors were looking at me like I was a freaky prophet or something. (For three days after the quake, we all had dinner together outside).

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Very interesting thread!

I live here in the Midwest (Iowa) and with all the record flooding this year, I wouldn't be surprised if we get activity from the New Madrid Fault System later this year (when the ground becomes less saturated). My injun senses tell me so!

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATSbut don't real (normal) earthquakes feature hours of not days of after-shocks?

This is quite correct yes.... And I have been watching IRIS and there has been no aftershock

Very curious indeed...

Live Worldwide feed as it happens...
www.iris.edu...

What is REALLY WEIRD is I just posted in another thread that Long Beach is 'floating' on water....

The Oil wells around Long Beach have been pumping out Oil causing the land to sink into the empty space... perhaps THIS Earthquake was a 'settling' into the cavity... hence no aftershocks...

And before you buffoons out there start your guffawing...

Any one that has ever visited Long Beach California has seen the oil pumps all over the city, near the beaches and even in the port. Where is all this oil coming from? Those very underground chambers mentioned above. Below is an excerpt from the History of Long Beach... the part most pertinent to our study...

In the late 1930s, oil was discovered under Long Beach harbor. Its production helped Long Beach recover from the Depression and provided revenue to support expansion and modernization of the harbor as well as enriching individuals who owned land in the area. As a result when land near the oil field began to sink, those who were profiting from pumping the oil out from under the land resisted any suggestion that there could be a link between oil production and subsidence. They hired experts to defend their position. As the subsidence continued, those whose property was damaged by the sinking, but who were not benefiting from the oil production, hired experts to determine what was really causing the sinking.

While the controversy continued, the land kept sinking. It sunk like a big bowl and the bottom of the bowl was more than 25 feet below its previous elevation. Some warned that if the sinking continued, the ocean might inundate the city. The Navy Shipyard was near the bottom of the bowl and the Navy didn't own the mineral rights of the Shipyard so they were suffering damage but receiving no benefit so in 1958 the Navy sued all of the oil operators. Although the suit was never litigated or settled, it helped to convince many people that a proposed solution, pumping water into the fault blocks where the oil had been taken out, should be implemented. And that solution stopped the sinking.

The production of oil from under the harbor led geologists to explore the area under the tidelands and submerged lands off Long Beach and oil was discovered to be there as well. This discovery led to a struggle between the city, to whom the state had granted the tidelands in 1911, and the state and federal governments over control of the oil revenue. Eventually the state and city were forced to divide the money.

Long Beach Area History

San Joaquin Valley suffers the same condition... I found all this while looking for the underway pathways to that submarine base in Nevada... and I found it Most of California is 'floating' on water....

Subsidence due to compaction of fine-grained sediments began in the San Joaquin Valley in the 1920's and in the Sacramento Valley in the 1950's. The area most affected has been in the southern and western parts of the San Joaquin Valley (fig. 93). Approximately one-half of the valley, or about 5,200 square miles, had subsided at least 1 foot by 1977; the total volume of subsidence was greater than 17 million acre-feet. The land surface declined nearly 30 feet from the 1920's to the late 1970's in an area southwest of Mendota (fig. 94). Importation of surface water and reduction in ground-water withdrawals during the 1970's slowed or stopped the decline of ground-water levels. In many cases, this allowed recovery to pre-1960's water levels and prevented further land subsidence.

Complete Study

Here is an image from the USGS showing how much the whole valley sank from 1922 to 1977...

Everyone has most likely been into underground caverns,,, well the US and the whole planet is riddled with these and they go deep... I will start a thread on all that in a day or so... but here is what I call "level one" waterways... those that are relatively close to the surface

Seems the US is Swiss Cheese

[edit on 30-7-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by calcoastseeker
I asked her to please keep me posted if she has any more dreams like this.

You know its funny sometimes... the way peoples minds work...

You will see people absolutely positive that the animals can sense an earthquake and react, yet when a human says he/she senses something those same people make wise cracks...

:shk:

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by pjslugall the radio reports that day stated it was between an 8.3 and an 8.9, depending on where you were in the San Fernando Valley. Magically, a few days later they declared it was a 6.9 and then a 6.7. How could they make such a gross error??

Its not an error... the USGS site has a good explanation... the first initial report is always higher from the raw sensor data... and then about half an hour after the readings get downgraded to the actual value...

But the radio saying 8.3 and 8.9 and the reality is a lot of radio hipe as well

The Richter magnitudes are based on a logarithmic scale (base 10). What this means is that for each whole number you go up on the Richter scale, the amplitude of the ground motion recorded by a seismograph goes up ten times. Using this scale, a magnitude 5 earthquake would result in ten times the level of ground shaking as a magnitude 4 earthquake (and 32 times as much energy would be released). To give you an idea how these numbers can add up, think of it in terms of the energy released by explosives: a magnitude 1 seismic wave releases as much energy as blowing up 6 ounces of TNT. A magnitude 8 earthquake releases as much energy as detonating 6 million tons of TNT. Pretty impressive, huh? Fortunately, most of the earthquakes that occur each year are magnitude 2.5 or less, too small to be felt by most people.

So the difference between a 6 and an 8 is 100 times as powerful

The reason for the data 'error' is the first pulse triggers the sensors but it has to have the depth factor added to give the actual reading

siovizcenter.ucsd.edu...

Update on after shocks... seems there have been and still are aftershocks the latest a few minutes ago...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

MAP 1.3 2008/07/30 05:55:24 33.982 -117.759 13.0 3 km ( 2 mi) WNW of Chino Hills, CA
MAP 1.5 2008/07/30 05:33:57 33.939 -117.743 13.7 4 km ( 3 mi) SSW of Chino Hills, CA

Skipped a bunch here...

MAP 2.2 2008/07/29 21:00:26 33.952 -117.735 16.6 3 km ( 2 mi) SSW of Chino Hills, CA
MAP 2.2 2008/07/29 21:00:01 33.953 -117.735 14.2 3 km ( 2 mi) SSW of Chino Hills, CA
MAP 3.6 2008/07/29 20:40:41 33.948 -117.741 15.8 3 km ( 2 mi) SSW of Chino Hills, CA
MAP 3.6 2008/07/29 20:40:41 33.944 -117.743 15.4 4 km ( 2 mi) SSW of Chino Hills, CA
MAP 1.9 2008/07/29 20:24:47 33.945 -117.737 14.0 4 km ( 2 mi) SSW of Chino Hills, CA
MAP 1.8 2008/07/29 20:13:20 33.938 -117.739 14.4 4 km ( 3 mi) SSW of Chino Hills, CA
MAP 1.7 2008/07/29 19:57:32 33.949 -117.725 15.8 3 km ( 2 mi) S of Chino Hills, CA
MAP 1.9 2008/07/29 19:25:32 33.944 -117.782 17.7 6 km ( 4 mi) WSW of Chino Hills, CA
MAP 1.9 2008/07/29 19:22:40 33.937 -117.757 14.3 5 km ( 3 mi) SW of Chino Hills, CA
MAP 2.3 2008/07/29 19:18:44 33.946 -117.731 14.2 3 km ( 2 mi) SSW of Chino Hills, CA
MAP 2.2 2008/07/29 19:12:28 33.953 -117.729 14.3 3 km ( 2 mi) S of Chino Hills, CA
MAP 1.9 2008/07/29 18:58:33 33.973 -117.739 14.7 1 km ( 1 mi) WSW of Chino Hills, CA
MAP 1.9 2008/07/29 18:50:33 33.956 -117.760 16.7 4 km ( 2 mi) WSW of Chino Hills, CA
MAP 2.1 2008/07/29 18:47:48 33.973 -117.755 14.7 3 km ( 2 mi) W of Chino Hills, CA

MAP 5.4 2008/07/29 18:42:15 33.955 -117.765 13.6 4 km ( 3 mi) WSW of Chino Hills, CA

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I was at work in Playa Del Rey, which is basically built on a wetlands just south of Marina Del Rey. We felt a rumble, then a sharp side-to-side shock and then rolling for about 20 seconds.

I have to also agree that the dogs did not freak out on this one. We have dozens of dogs in our building. The Golden Retriever laying on the floor in the aisle next to my desk didn't even get up.

Me, on the other hand, well I was about ready to dive under my desk. I am thankful every day that I live, work, and park on the ground level. I used to have to work in a high-rise, park 6-levels underground and sleep on the third floor.

Preparedness is important, Californians! Let's be ready. Actually, everyone should be ready. I just spoke to someone form Dallas earlier today "wondering why anyone lives out here in So Cal." Well, I told him that tornadoes, hurricanes and floods are just as bad. To which he told me that there are no floods in Dallas. I told him to google "dallas and flood" and he was quite surprised. Be ready people.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   

News is That , this is going to cause an Even bigger one by disrupting some of the many faultline that run through the state. The News Channels are currently Waiting for it to happen, even expert seismologist have said there will be a much bigger one possibly 100 times more powerful.

They are calling it "The Big One" and are expecting a Major loss of life, possibly like China's necent one.

I think all the earthquakes we have had this year are more than coencidal, And there is a lot more to this than meets the eyes.

[edit on 31-7-2008 by monkeybus]

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by monkeybus

News is That , this is going to cause an Even bigger one by disrupting some of the many faultline that run through the state. The News Channels are currently Waiting for it to happen, even expert seismologist have said there will be a much bigger one possibly 100 times more powerful.

They are calling it "The Big One" and are expecting a Major loss of life, possibly like China's necent one.

I think all the earthquakes we have had this year are more than coencidal, And there is a lot more to this than meets the eyes.

Have you checked out any of the news outlets that you refer too refrences? I'm not saying a bigger e-quake couldn't happen but idle and sensational speculation clouds the reality of the current situation.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

I was going to post scources but it has been shown many times here in the UK on thee news and thought that it wasnt neccisary. a Quick google should find something you are looking for.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
i see these 5.0s almost every day. ont he quakebords

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join