It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UPDATE: 5.4 Earthquake in Diamond Bar (LA) California USA 7/29/08

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lethil

Originally posted by Sparky63

Originally posted by ufo reality
I knew this was going to happen today.

[edit on 29-7-2008 by ufo reality]

LOL....Well then, Thanks for the warning!
I truly hope you are joking. If not, then you have some MAD skills!.

I was about to create a thread about californian earthquakes(the big one i heard about in a documentary a few months back) before even seeing the news or thread...it was literally 50seconds...then i clciked referesh and there was the post...strange....probably coincidence though,strange none the less.

Not to overquote but it is relevant. I was thinking about this thread:
Mega Tsunami to hit US?
and this thread:
Navy Sub base under Nevada Desert?
just before I looked at the USGS main site so a cross thread *insert twilight zone theme song* moment for me.

[edit on 7/29/08 by stikkinikki]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero
This was the First 'Big' Wuake since the Northridge quake in '94 right?

So every 14 years we have a moderate sized quake...

Not bad...

I hope that this was the Quake EVERYONE has been fearing for decades...

uh, no.

the BIG ONE will slide everything west of the San Andreas fault into the Pacific. kill 30 million people. crash the economy. alter the fabric of our history. change every aspect of life. would truly be the worst day in the history of this nation.

will it happen?

of course.

when?

anywhere between tomorrow and 10,000 years!

though, one can't deny that the earth's fault lines and volcanos are acting up in a big way, perhaps building up to a world-wide quake that will send humanity back to the stone age......

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ufo reality

This freakin' guy again? If he knew, then maybe some warning was in order. You are right I dont believe you. PROVE IT.PERIOD. Or stop making ridiculous claims of clairvoyance or whatever it is. Any specific predictions for later today? I am sure the people in CA., would be interested to know if any aftershocks are expected....

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by lightseeker
Hope this doesn't turn out to be just a fore-shock.

Just heard on the news that there is a 5% chance of this being a foreshock. After 24 hours the risk of it being a foreshock reduces to 1%.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Ah I found this thread after I posted this:

UPDATE: July 29 2008 LA/OC California 5.4 Earthquake!

I'm not to sure how many of you guys are here in the LA/OC area, if you were you would have felt a magnitude 5.4 earthquake just hit at about 11:45 this afternoon.

Thankfully, intial reports on the local television and radio have zero reported injuries and minor damage.

NBC4 Coverage

A magnitude-5.4 earthquake struck Los Angeles and other parts of Southern California Tuesday, but authorities said there have been no reports of damage.

Link

This felt a lot bigger than a 5.4 though and as I'm writing this right now there have been close to 30 aftershocks in the local area. The quake hit in Chino Hills just below the San Adreas fault line. To me I feel like this is just a precursor to bigger things to come. California, and especially Southern California have been long over due for quite some time now.

A study completed by Yuri Fialko[3] has demonstrated that the San Andreas fault has been stressed to a level sufficient for the next "big one," as it is commonly called, that is, an earthquake of magnitude 7.0 or greater. The study also concluded that the risk of a large earthquake may be increasing faster than researchers had previously believed. Fialko also emphasized in his study that, while the San Andreas Fault has experienced massive earthquakes in 1857 at its central section and in 1906 at its northern segment (the great San Francisco earthquake), the southern section of the fault has not seen a similar rupture in at least 300 years.

Wiki Link

Look I am new at this and although I hardly ever post I am an avid reader of all message boards on this site. I wasn't to sure where to put this and I am quickly just putting this together right now as my girlfriend takes a shower. I have my bags packed. I dont know where I am going but I have to go make sure my family is OK. I am sure they are but everyone is honestly shaken up. I'm seriously pissed. How could I have been not prepared! I know I must sound like a NOOB but what would you guys have done? What are you guys doing right now? What if this earthquake was much bigger? What if this is just the beginning of something bigger? Right now CNN is covering the story and they are saying to expect after shocks for the next couple days. I am not paranoid or anything but I have just had a feeling that something bad or something bad will be coming and coming ever soon. I know a lot of you guys feel the same way as I do.

What would be your exit plan if you lived in Orange County? Where would you go? What freeways would you take?

[edit on 29-7-2008 by Charger15]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
What would be your exit plan if you lived in Orange County? Where would you go? What freeways would you take? I am just saying if anyone else out there has a game plan step up and reply please. This is breaking news.

I am soo pissed also at the cell phone situation. I mean if a 5.4 earthquake totally wipes out the celluar network imagine if something bigger happened? Holy ****. Give me a break. CB radios? I dont know I'll have to research survival techniques when I get back. But how do you survive if you live in a metro area???

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory

Originally posted by lightseeker
Hope this doesn't turn out to be just a fore-shock.

Just heard on the news that there is a 5% chance of this being a foreshock. After 24 hours the risk of it being a foreshock reduces to 1%.

I just heard this too. I'm sorry I know I might be getting to worried but if you're not prepared what are you going to do. Anyways, we'll see within the next 24 hours. I'm sure this is just the run of the mill SoCal earthquake.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Charger15

Thank you for your on scene report. Sometimes I spend alot of time setting up a breaking news thread only to find out someone else did it. It's just luck of the draw I guess. Having an emergency kit with food, water, clothes, cash, medicine, etc. is a pretty good place to start. A water filter will probably make you feel pretty smart should the need arise.

I have been in about a dozen quakes but none over 6.2 so I know that feeling of waiting for the next one. Try to relax and keep your family relaxed.

Keep us updated with developments.

[edit on 7/29/08 by stikkinikki]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
TV says cell phone traffic is jammed in LA. They also said it was possible that some towers had been shut down by officials.

Also they said buildings swayed in downtown LA. Biggest fear right now is broken gas lines.

You got that right, I just got off the phone with my mom who works in a Verizon Communications building just south of LA, in Long Beach and she called me crying. She was worried. She said something about the "rollers" moving the whole building and Arrowhead water jugs falling down. She sounded really scared.

I think thats how you could really sum it up around here, everyone is just shaken up and I think a lot of people are pissed at themselves because they haven't felt an earthquake in a long time and are not prepared.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I'm out in Hemet, to the east of the epicenter. I heard a "rumble" type noise for a couple seconds, then the shaking. It lasted maybe 5-10 seconds or so. No damage or anything.

It woke my daughter up and our little dog freaked for a bit. Our larger dog slept right thru it.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup
The magnitude is relatively high because time is a factor in the equation, and this one had a long rolling wave to it. It wasn't a sharp shock, so it wouldn't probably cause as much damage.

Predicting factors? I generally like to watch how people are driving. If I see more accidents, or more people generally driving badly, I think about earthquakes. Maybe somehow the tension in the ground is somehow felt by people, making them more tense and distracted than usual. I thought about it last Friday, actually, because people were driving like crap. I almost posted my prediction, but didn't.

I coulda been a contenda!

Whoa, do you live in Orange County or LA? Funny you said that, I was just reading over this thread and this caught my eye. I've been seeing a lot of weird activity in the South Orange County area ever since last Sunday. Within one week I personally saw 8 accidents. I know it's only 8 accidents out of the IDK how many accidents that happen everyday in Orange County but it's still weird. I saw some car flip over on the freeway. I past a truck that "flew" off the side of the 405 and crashed into the ditch. I could go on and on but seriously I've been thinking there are just some things you can't explain. If everything is connected in this world, I guess you have to look at those "weird" or out of ordinary connections. IMHO

BTW my Baby Girl, Shar Pei dog was barking immediately before the quake hit.

Also, everyone look at the reports on where this earthquake was felt. Los Angeles, Orange County, Sand Diego, Las Vegas. Follow the San Andreas fault line. Quake hit 8 miles deep.

A lot of people are reporting that although it was a 5.4 it was much longer and felt a lot stronger than a 5.4. Maybe because it was 8 miles deep?

CNN reported that the cellular networks were so jammed that they just collapse all across California, on all networks. Can anyone confirm/deny this claim? If this is true it will just open everyone's eyes up and make them realize that they have become to dependant on technology for their everyday lives.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Im in bakersfield,and we felt it here too. The first wave was minor,caught everyones attention. Then the second one came in. Felt like it was just the start of a bigger quake,but then it stopped.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
This all got started with a 3.3 in Reno at 3 something this morning and then a 3.1 north of Barstow California at 5:04 then the big one in LA. We will have to watch this from now on.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Yeah about earthquake prediction. idk bout that. I have a friend that has been in some hefty earthquakes and says right before an earthquake the air pressure drops quite a bit. I've always been earthquake paranoid myself waiting for the ones that really set things in motion. Also pay attention to animals for they act up quite a bit. I read an article about the tsunam in india and a guy was standing outside and all of a sudden a surrounding herd of buffalo freaked out and ran uphill. Luckily he followed them and lived because of it. The story was very credible to me. so to those open minded enough hopefully we can possibly avoid the worst.

Maybe cali will fall into the ocean someday. lol
besides, as a cab dispatcher for cali I had numerous reports of tremors and smaller quakes on a frequent level. It's the big ones that really get the attention but in reality they have quakes all the time.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Minor reports of damage according to FOXNews.

Japan has experienced a large amount of Earthquakes in the last month or so, California might suffer the same fate.

Something to monitor.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I live in So Cal and was near the Sunset Strip when it hit. We felt it, as it shook our car and the cars around us. We were standing on the street about to get in the car. It lasted a long time.

Something interesting, and I'm not shouting "conspiracy" here, but it's all over the radio, of course, and people are calling in saying how it was SO strong, and that they thought it was really odd that no animals seemed to sense it ahead of time. Usually, pets seem to sense these things, but a lot of callers are saying that their pets were as surprised as they were when it happened.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by kaffemoka

that truly is interesting. i'll speak my mind and come what may. conspiracy or not imho we have always had weather modification tech. Such things as scalar electromagnetics and things like HAARP. The soviets were messing around with it for a long time. and couldnt chemtrails be considered the same. I think weather modification is very possible. with enough pressure (energy) being pressed into 1 area (such as a fault line) it could trigger such events. theres a lot out there and tom beardens writings on scalar weapons are to say the least interesting.

If the pets did not sense it maybe it was because it was not naturally made. who knows for sure. Its not like anyones gonna come out and say yo, I did it. but surely animals are much more linked to nature and natural things then us skeptical humans therefore making it more believable that they can see these things coming.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
this was 5.4, not very big for California, I did feel it in Indio California about 90 miles east, it was a very calm rolling shock.

what people are worried about is there is a very slight chance this is a precursor to the big one.
also what people worry about is these are very highly populated areas with very dense building so i guess they pump up the hype.

what was interesting on Los angles television which I'm watching right now, is that they are telling people that when the big one hits, people will be required to survive on their own, they are telling people they need to take a personal responsibility and get 4 days of supplies prepared for survival, because the city will not be getting involved or will not be able to help the huge scope of people who will be effected.

[edit on 29-7-2008 by sheila947]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join