It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UPDATE: 5.4 Earthquake in Diamond Bar (LA) California USA 7/29/08

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
It did seem to go on longer than other quakes I have been in, but that could have been the rollers on the building doing their job! I was on the 3rd floor on an office building - I got in a doorway and looked across the room out the window at the parking structure next door - the lights on the roof were swaying back and forth, as were the palm trees. There was one very strong jolt about 10 seconds into it, and that scared me because I didn't know if it was ramping up for more. All in all, it wasn't bad compared to the '94 Northridge quake - that one was very violent.

I am about 20 miles from the epicenter.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Charger15
What would be your exit plan if you lived in Orange County? Where would you go? What freeways would you take? I am just saying if anyone else out there has a game plan step up and reply please. This is breaking news.

I am soo pissed also at the cell phone situation. I mean if a 5.4 earthquake totally wipes out the celluar network imagine if something bigger happened? Holy ****. Give me a break. CB radios? I dont know I'll have to research survival techniques when I get back. But how do you survive if you live in a metro area???

There are so many freeways here that you really just need to be familiar with all of them since you don't know what kind of damage or collapse might happen in the earthquake. And as far as the cell phones, some people around me had access right away - I had to wait about 20 minutes. There are so many people calling at the same time that it knocks the system out temporarily - it happens every time - nothing to worry about! That even happens on land lines too, it is just the volume of calls.

As far as surviving something much worse in a metro area, one really important thing is to have gear in your car in case you get stuck - shoes, glasses if you wear them, water, food, back pack, first aid supplies, solar powered radio.. enough to sustain you if you need to walk home.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
if the city truly cant help on a big one and this is just a precursor quake how much bigger could the big one be? it seems to me you californians arent as worried as you should be because of the frequency of the quakes. (imho majority being not concerned compared to minority) You have seemed to just get use to the fact. which dont get me wrong is what is necessary to survive sanely.

but what if this lack of preparedeness due to lack of caring due to frequency of quakes ultimately makes you unprepared in a way that when or if the big one does come about there is more of you unprepared than prepared, creating a disaster in itself. which could lead to some all goin to walmart or whatever to prepare at the same time running supplies out and creating mayhem in the masses

I highly doubt this will happen at all. I'm just speculating but like always I think everyone should expect the worst and hope for the best. or in another way. be ready regardless. to those that are prepared which im sure are many many many just because of where they live, awesome!

Just something to keep in mind because this being a conspiracy forum I think someday S will H T F.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufo reality
I knew this was going to happen today.

I have the ability to sense when a natural disaster is about to happen before it does (especially earthquakes).

I don't care who believes me, it's true.

It's not something I like because I can't "call" upon it, but I sense these things strongly before they happen.

[edit on 29-7-2008 by ufo reality]

Me too.
When did you notice this ability?

sty

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ufo reality

you should publish your predictions on ATS before the quake - and if your gift confirmed you will be a rich hero

[edit on 29-7-2008 by sty]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sty

you should publish your predictions on ATS before the quake - and if your gift confirmed you will be a rich hero

[edit on 29-7-2008 by sty]

agreed! lol

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by stikkinikki
UPDATE: USGS is now saying 5.4 magnitude.

5.8 Earthquake in Long Beach California USA 7/29/08

earthquake.usgs.gov

Magnitude 5.8
Date-Time

* Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 18:42:15 UTC
* Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 11:42:15 AM at epicenter

Location 33.959°N, 117.752°W
Depth 12.3 km (7.6 miles)
Region GREATER LOS ANGELES AREA, CALIFORNIA
Distances

* 3 km (2 miles) SW (235°) from Chino Hills, CA
* 8 km (5 miles) SE (127°) from Diamond Bar, CA
* 9 km (5 miles) NNE (23°) from Yorba Linda, CA
* 11 km (7 miles) S (178°) from Pomona, CA
* 47 km (29 miles) ESE (103°) from Los Angeles Civic Center, CA
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/29/08 by stikkinikki]

You got to postthat topic before I did LOL!!!

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by stikkinikki
UPDATE: USGS is now saying 5.4 magnitude.

5.8 Earthquake in Long Beach California USA 7/29/08

earthquake.usgs.gov

Magnitude 5.8
Date-Time

* Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 18:42:15 UTC
* Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 11:42:15 AM at epicenter

Location 33.959°N, 117.752°W
Depth 12.3 km (7.6 miles)
Region GREATER LOS ANGELES AREA, CALIFORNIA
Distances

* 3 km (2 miles) SW (235°) from Chino Hills, CA
* 8 km (5 miles) SE (127°) from Diamond Bar, CA
* 9 km (5 miles) NNE (23°) from Yorba Linda, CA
* 11 km (7 miles) S (178°) from Pomona, CA
* 47 km (29 miles) ESE (103°) from Los Angeles Civic Center, CA
(visit the link for the full news article)

You got to postthat topic before I did LOL!!!

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Terrapop

This is BS!!! Earthquakes are random. You're just exploiting people's fear.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Expert: LA's 5.4 quake 'small sample' of one to come

A seismologist tells CNN: Quake is a sign of a larger one to come

"This is somewhere between small and moderate." She said there is a 5 percent chance the quake could be a precursor to a larger earthquake. After 24 hours, she said, that chance will drop to 1 percent.

"Every earthquake relieves some stress," Hutton said. "It's usually only a drop in the ocean. In other words, the amount of stress released by this earthquake is minuscule compared to the amount that's built up and is building up for the Big One when it happens someday in the future."

There is a 99 percent chance of California experiencing a quake of magnitude 6.7 or larger within the next 30 years, according to the "Uniform California Earthquake Rupture Forecast

edition.cnn.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

wow. well do youu know if there's any more on the way?

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by raptor108 Um... smack me if I'm wrong here.... but don't real (normal) earthquakes feature hours of not days of after-shocks? But, just after this 16 second event, there was nada.
This always leaves me wondering what it was we really experienced.
Nanette Ward

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Very strange, in the Tsunami thread i posted that yesterday I dreamed with a Tsunami event in California.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I live in Diamond Bar and I'll tell you this did not feel like a 5.4. Rolling, a very big jolt and then more rolling. It just kept on going. Very weird. Also, my dogs knew, they were barking up a storm right before it hit. I've lived in Calif. pretty much my whole life and this was the strangest feeling quake I've ever felt.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by metalmom

a lot of people are saying this quake as unlike any they've ever felt. i think this fact is where we should be looking. also, people are saying their animals were as surprised as everyone else. i've been in one earthquake and it tossed me out of bed. but was over in 3 seconds. can you explain what a typical quake is like and how this one differed?

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
The jolt of this quake just felt soooo strong. I was sitting there and thinking wow an earthquake, it was a mellow kind of quake and then boom. At the end it didn't stop, it just kept rolling, but in a circular motion, not back and forth in one direction. I can remember Sylmar, Landers, Whittier, Northridge, etc... This one was just different.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
my co-worker said she felt "something" this morning after it happened. not sure i believe it, as we are in san rafael, ca. quite a ways from L.A. area. but she said she felt something.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
It felt like circular rolling, very fluid - a big jolt then faster rolling - then it faded into quieter circles. That's the best way I can explain it.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

Heh heh, Yeah. I woke up to my bad shaking.

I sleep in late just so you know..

My sister told me it was the legions of Hell trying to get me because she didn't feel it, and my whole family mocks the fact that I am on this site...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join