It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evangelism and Glossolalia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
first, let me say that i know there's probably a thread about glossolalia. but, whatever it says, it's not what i'm talking about.

recently, i saw a couple of vids on youtube, the first of which showed young people, mostly children, "speaking in tongues". the minister would literally have parents drag their children to the pulpit, where there would be a cluster of writhing children, speaking in gibberish. and then he had the stones to say that they were having a "religious experience".
here's the URL -- www.youtube.com...

the second was worse.

you might have heard of "jesus camp", which is a radical evangelical bible school. well, a single woman (who reminds me a TON of sylvia pittson in the gunslinger) brings in christian kids and non-believers to experience "the word of god"; glossolalia and "praise". i think it was the scariest thing i've ever seen, mostly because i'm agnostic-- i believe that if there's anything, its a collective consciousness, not some single entity. and that woman thinks the only way is to convert EVERYONE on earth to her religion!
here's the URL -- www.youtube.com...

what do you think about these? watch the videos if you're gonna say something about them, please.

peace-love-equality
NeverThere

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by NeverThere

i have watched these already, speaking in tongues in this fashion is not biblical. maybe not at all. tongues simply means language, or languages. if i go to another country im speaking in another tongue to them. i believe the way it is perceived in pentacostal churches is not only going against the bible, it may have something to with demons. i have a friend that speaks in tongues, and when i showed these videos to him he was outraged.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Tongues as described in the Bible is Xenoglossy, the miracle of speaking a foreign language.

Glossolalia on the other hand is considered to be a sign of demonic possession. When somone rolls around a church floor, in uncontrollable fits of laughter, barking and speaking gibberish that has nothing to do with G-d.

I applaud the US Senate for investigating the 7 biggest churches that spread this nonsense.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

I didn't know that the Senate was investigating Pentecostal churches. That's really interesting.

Also, I must say that I am an evangelical Christian, and the pentecostal/charismatic movement, which teaches the speaking of in tongues, scares me. I agree that in the Bible, when people speak in tongues, it is a known language--that is what the Greek word means! I feel that the pentecostal movement is nothing but feelings. At the Bible college that I attended, we took a class about Charismatic/pentecostal beliefs, and we learned that many who learn what tongues actually is end up leaving Christianity for a while.

A thing that I think is funny about all this too is that in 1 Corinthians, Paul says that he would rather those who speak in tongues to prophesy [which simply means proclaim God's word].

Another interesting thing is that, throughout the Bible, we can see that God is a God of order. But, espeically when you watch Jesus Camp, things are crazy and hectic. It truly sickens me.

Tom

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

The worst of the lot are under investigation right now including Benny Hinn, Creflo Dollar, the Crouches and Kenneth Copeland. Apparently they arn't too familiar with the parable of the rich man or US tax codes. There is some real scary stuff going on within these charismatic megachurches from Prosperity brainwashing, e.g. give the minister money and G-d will make you rich, to so called revivals that resemble mass demonic possession.

Where in the Bible does rolling around on the ground barking and laughing in fits constitute being filled with the Spirit of G-d? I'm pretty sure there is some filling going on along with spirits but its definitely not G-d's spirit.

Anyone familiar with Shamanism, Channeling/Mediums, or Voodoo would recognize spiritual possession when they saw it. The Pentecostal variety really resembles the kind seen in Voodoo, the rolling around the floor in fits. The gibberish can be seen in various forms of channeling.

Its some real scary practices and I would even say dangerous.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I agree. Their practives are dangerous. A lot of it does mimic demonic activity too. A pastor back in the 20s or 30s said that about the Azusza (spelling) street revival, which is commonly marked as the starting point for the modern Charismatic movement.

Anyway, maybe these people will be put away for sometime and they'll be able to study the Bible and see what ir really says about tongues. My Jan Crouch will take a look at some modesty verses too.

Tom

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

That street revival sounds completely insane,

en.wikipedia.org...

people acting as if they were pretty disturbed, exhibiting behavior unheard of in most Protestant churches of the time: intense shouting, vigorous jerking, dancing, passing out, crying, howling, emotional outbursts, and speaking gibberish.

This movement preys upon the poor and desperate. Getting people who barely have anything to support the extravagant lifestyles of basically a charismatic cult figure.

There is another dangerous practice indirectly related that I think people may see more prominently in the future is the usage of Ayahuasca being integrated into Christianity. It is powerful psychoactive tea made from various Amazonian herbs. It causes intense visions and hallucinations of an ecstatic nature, but also uncontrollable vomiting and defecation. In some churches in South America this practice is already in affect where revival type events are held and people basically uncontrollably vomit and defecate while in a state of ecstasy.

At some point I fear the Charismatic movement and the Ayahuasca movement are going to cross and combine into something monstrous.

top topics

join