It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge changes girl's ridiculous name

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Judge changes girl's ridiculous name

www.theaustralian.news.com.au

A YOUNG girl embarrassed by her name - Talula Does the Hula from Hawaii - has won a new one from a family court judge in New Zealand.

Family Court Judge Rob Murfitt, ruling in the city of New Plymouth in the North Island, made the youngster a ward of court so that she could change the name she hates.

Judge Murfitt, in a written ruling released yesterday, said the girl's mother had not given any thought to the implication of naming her daughter.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
While this is hardly world changing news I did find it rather amusing and somewhat thought provoking at the right of parents to name their children versus the right of children to have a vaguely socially acceptable name.

Here are some other examples:

He cited as examples a family who named their children after six-cylinder Ford cars, twins called Benson and Hedges and youngsters called Midnight Chardonnay, Number 16 Bus Shelter and Violence.

I am guessing Number 16 bus shelter is the place of conception

www.theaustralian.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Let me guess her parents where addicted to Crystal Meth and thought it'd be a real knee slapper and she'd go far in life with such a name.

I think I would have to back hand my parents if I was her for their brilliant idea. Actually they should be banned from making any decisions. ever. obviously.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Heh....I am always a fan of the 'weird and wacky' type of news items.

This reminded me of a family in the neighborhood where I grew up. The 3 children were named Dusty, Rocky, and Sandy. The father owned an excavation company (go figure...)

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
When I showed my partner the article giggling away she told me about a couple of kids she knew named Coca and Cola. Poor kids.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Just more of this, really........

Idiocracy

Pathetic.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Shere Khaan

I suppose you will love this..
My son's name is Tyger.
If it weren't for the popularity of Tiger Woods..his name would be odd.
But I didn't name him after the golf great.
I literally named him for the great animal in your avatar, and yes, he was born in the Chinese year of the Tiger. I just altered the spelling so that when he gets older, he can go by "Ty" for short, if he choses. We call him that anyway.
I also gave him a middle name that starts with "J"..so he could even go by "TJ" if he wanted to.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Funny.

Tallulah Bankhead is, no doubt, spinning in her grave.

Meanwhile Tulula Creek is moist with excitement hoping this will improve her cause.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Talula does the Hula.
My this I needed so baddly. OMG. LOL

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
My brother in-laws last name is Wheeler, he was thinking of naming his son Dealer so that in the phone book it would show up as Wheeler Dealer.
This is true.

My sister Diana had a friend named Rhea. My sister thought is would be a nice name if not for the true meaning... DiaRhea... this is true.

I've thought a number of times about changing my name but heck there are just to many to choose from. Names are for identification and I think that as humans we should be given a temporary label till we are older and then upon adulthood that we should get to pick our own.

Of course as it stands now you have to pay to change your name and that makes sense cause they need to know who your title belongs to. You know, registration of your car, registration of your body, that kind of thing.

But as far as this girl is concerned I would have kept my name, but I am not young and if she has been having a hard time with it she should have the right to change it... at no charge.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
does anyone know what the girl changed her name to?

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I used to want to name my baby Coors Light lol!

...I never did though!

new topics

top topics

join